Music: Who has a better discography than the Gorillaz since the year 2000?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Gorillaz are one of my favorite bands (definitely my favorite virtual band) and I think what Damon Albarn has done is genius. I was lucky enough to see them live this summer at Northerly Island in Chicago. AMAZING show. I was making a playlist of their music for my Spotify account and was blown away by how much great music Damon & Co. have put out these past 16 years. Since the year 2000, I can't think of a band that's put out a more extensive discography than the Gorillaz. Who else ya got?

March 26th, 2001: Gorillaz (self-titled)

Notable Songs: 5/4, Tomorrow Comes Today, Clint Eastwood, Sound Check (Gravity), Rock the House, 10-2000, Slow Country

May 11th, 2005: Demon Days

Notable Songs: Last Living Souls, Kids With Guns, O Green World, Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc., El Manana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, All Alone, DARE, Don't Get Lost in Heaven, Demon Days

November 19th, 2007: D-Sides (Compilation Album)

Notable Songs: People, Hongkongaton, We Are Happy Landfill, Spitting Out The Demons, Stop the Dams

March 8th, 2010: Plastic Beach

Notable Songs: Rhinestone Eyes, Stylo, Superfast Jellyfish, Some Kind of Nature (which has LOU f***ing REED on it), On Melancholy Hill, Broken, Plastic Beach, To Binge

April 19th, 2011: The Fall

Notable Songs: Revolving Doors, Hillbilly Man, Shy-Town, Little Pink Plastic Bags, Amarillo

April 28th, 2017: Humanz

Notable Songs: Ascension, Saturn Barz, Momentz, Charger, Andromeda, She's My Collar
=======================================
Maybe I'm just geeking out on a band that I love, but thats 40+ songs of theirs that they've put out over 16 years that have been anywhere from good to great. Who else has done better than that since the year 2000? And none of this is even getting into all of the awesome illustration work that Jamie Hewlett has put out and there music videos. I think what the Gorillaz have done since 2001, their awesome discography, and appealing to multiple genres, has made them one of the best bands of the millennium.

Also, if you're interested, here's a really cool video kinda explaining what the Gorillaz are all about...

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Technically a millennum is a 1000 years.....so is the question really who has done it better since the year 2000 like in the OP? Or the last 1000 years? If its a millinium I'll go with the Beatles.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Converge
Jane Doe (2001)
You Fail Me (2004)
No Heroes (2006)
Axe to Fall (2009)
All We Love We Leave Behind (2012)
The Dusk in Us (2017)

Devin Townsend
not listing all his stuff because I don't have all day

The Mars Volta
De-Loused in the Comatorium (2003)
Frances the Mute (2005)
Amputechture (2006)
Bedlam in Goliath (2008)
Octahedron (2009)
Noctourniquet (2012)

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
THIS millennium. From the year 2000, like it says in the OP. Thread title changed nonetheless

oh ok got ya.

I don't mind the Gorillaz at all and I think they are a very creative group, def worthy of a nomination.

I would have to go with Coldplay. They are far from my favorite band but their influence and success is undeniable. I wont go into all the tracks I enjoy but just for the sake of comparing discographies Coldplay has also been very solid.

Parachutes : 2000
A rush of blood to the head : 2002
X&Y : 2005
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends : 2008
Mylo Xylto : 2011
Ghost Stories: 2014
A Head full of Dreams : 2015

It is very hard for me to find an artist where you can say that you have loved every single album. I sat here and thought about it for a while. Most of the artists I have enjoyed put out two to three very solid albums and then 3-4 terrible ones. Case in point: Eminem and Kanye. Loved their earlier works but loath their more recent evolved offerings.

One artist I have enjoyed thoroughly and through their progression of his career would have to be Fabolous. While not critically acclaimed or successful in a record selling sense his albums have been consistently in my playlists since 2001. I wont bother listing the albums but 7 studio albums and 10 mix tapes later I am still a huge fan.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I like Gorillaz but I’d strongly disagree that they have 40 good to great songs.

That said, even if we accept that premise, Eminem has them beat by a lot. He’s easily got over 50 good to great songs.

I know it’s trendy to hate on them, but I’d argue Disturbed also beats that number, as does Linkin Park. Hell, Ed Sheeran’s only been doing it for 7 years and he’s probably got as many good songs. It’s not that hard to find a better discography actually

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Converge
Jane Doe (2001)
You Fail Me (2004)
No Heroes (2006)
Axe to Fall (2009)
All We Love We Leave Behind (2012)
The Dusk in Us (2017)

This was my first thought. I wasn't gonna bother writing in since they don't really fit in the same type of conversation. But I will say that I agree

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't been a big fan of the music of this millenium, personally. In terms of consistency and quantity of unique and fully realized albums, I've been impressed by post-2000s Radiohead, but they're not really a favorite.

If I'm caring only about peak enthusiasm and genuinely loving something, it would be Richard D. James/Aphex Twin, mostly on the strength of Drukqs (which I find pretty incredible) and to a lesser extent, Syro. Only two albums in that time period, but a 100% batting average for me.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
This was my first thought. I wasn't gonna bother writing in since they don't really fit in the same type of conversation. But I will say that I agree
Yeah they were the first band that popped into my head as well when I saw the thread title. I'd add Thursday to the list but I'm big into their later stuff while most aren't.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I want to say Julian Casablancas based on the strenght of albums where he's had complete creative control but the one's where he doesn't...like every Strokes record but the first two are underwhelming besides the odd brilliant song. I love his solo records, though. I think Daft Punk and Radiohead are two groups with excellent peaks too, but I'm not into all of it. Mac DeMarco, Alvaays and Phoenix I've liked a whole lot too. I haven't listened to that much Gorillaz though, and what I have didn't do much for me.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You've heard their collab, "Instant Crush", right? It's a perfect song.

Yup. Probably one of my favorites - if not my favorite - of the decade so far. The music video is one of my favorite of all-time too. Just perfect eye candy. Favorite songs of the 2000s would be Veridis Quo by Daft Punk as well. Vampire Weekend is another group I think is great within this millenium, despite a terrible band name.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Richard Thompson - the old master has been releasing some of his best work in the 2000s'.

The Old Kit Bag (2003)
Front Parlour Ballads (2005)
Live from Austin, TX (2005)
1000 Years of Popular Music (2006)
Sweet Warrior (2007)
Dream Attic (2010)
Cabaret of Souls (2012)
Electric (2013)
Acoustic Classics (2014)
Still (2015)
Acoustic Classics II (2017)
Acoustic Rarities (2017)

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
^^^^^
That's a good one. Foo Fighters are up there too IMHO.

think this is the right answer
can't really think of anyone more cosisten than face grouhl and the foo fighters

even guys like eminem have their bad albums where as the foo fighters have been consistent to this day

red hot chilli peppers too. they had a couple off albums, but

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I do enjoy Gorillaz quite a bit (Demon Days and Plastic Beach in particular) but they aren't very close to being my favourite artist of the 2000s. Here's how I feel about what Gorillaz I've heard:

9/10:
Demon Days

8/10:
Plastic Beach

6/10:
Gorillaz

4/10:
Humanz

And the discographies since 2000 I would take over Gorillaz:

Death Grips
The Beach Boys
Flying Lotus
Radiohead
Aesop Rock
The Mars Volta
MF DOOM
Sweet Trip
El-P
Cannibal Ox
Arcade Fire
Danny Brown
Kendrick Lamar
Sufjan Stevens
The Microphones/Mount Eerie
Ghostface Killah

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I do enjoy Gorillaz quite a bit (Demon Days and Plastic Beach in particular) but they aren't very close to being my favourite artist of the 2000s. Here's how I feel about what Gorillaz I've heard:

9/10:
Demon Days

8/10:
Plastic Beach

6/10:
Gorillaz

4/10:
Humanz

And the discographies since 2000 I would take over Gorillaz:

Death Grips
The Beach Boys
Flying Lotus
Radiohead
Aesop Rock
The Mars Volta
MF DOOM
Sweet Trip
El-P
Cannibal Ox
Arcade Fire
Danny Brown
Kendrick Lamar
Sufjan Stevens
The Microphones/Mount Eerie
Ghostface Killah

I can't believe I forgot Kendrick Lamar...lol.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I can't believe I forgot Kendrick Lamar...lol.

I was gonna say Kendrick Lamar, but has he released enough to qualify? i.guess after damn he has

section 80
maad city
to pimp a butterfly
untitled unmastered
damn.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Oceansize, Keane (personal opinion), Antimater, Black Swan Lane, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Steven Wilson solo, Elbow, The Clientele, Field Music, I Am Kloot, Amplifier, and that's just some British bands to come out since 2000, I'd guess there's probably a lot more when it comes to bands who have more than 3 good albums since two of Gorillaz' were bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad