Speculation: Which teams will trade their 1st Rounder before the Deadline?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I was just wondering what people think the teams are that will be going "ALL IN" this year and trading their 1st round pick.

The teams I am speculating that will do so are:

Washington-- They have some key free-agents in Oshie, Kuznetsov, and Alzner so I think they will trade their 1st
-
Dallas-- I have a feeling they go for it before Benn's contract kicks in and they have a decent prospect pool so maybe they pull the trigger
-
Vancouver-- My Dark Horse, Benning is still grasping onto the playoffs so maybe he is delusional and decides to go all in.

What do you guys think.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
why would vancouver trade its 1st when we didnt when it was 5th overall

i know benning is a derp around here but

demko and boesser have broken college records. hes no scotty bowman but to say hes lowe is lol

RangerRick61

Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Knowing our track record we (Rangers) will be on the fringe of playoffs and will trade our 1st for an aging soon to be UFA... The struggle...

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
washington is more then capable of resigning their players so they wont be going all in because of that. they would be going all in because they need to win :)

Zennon

Mar 12, 2004
As long as it's not TOP5 to TOP10, all bottom 1st rounders are "disposable". HF is so overvaluing 1st rounders, when most pan out to be 2nd-3rd liner or bottom 4-5-6 D... and many even not making the NHL!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The 5 teams in each conference who by the deadline look like locks for the playoffs.

any bubble team will say its conditional on them making the playoffs or it gets deffered to the next year

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As long as it's not TOP5 to TOP10, all bottom 1st rounders are "disposable". HF is so overvaluing 1st rounders, when most pan out to be 2nd-3rd liner or bottom 4-5-6 D... and many even not making the NHL!

Huh? I think most fans have a pretty good idea that the later the pick the less likely you are to find a star. The thing is if say you do end up with that 2nd liner for instance, that player is cost controlled. That's extremely valuable in a cap system. And maybe you should look at recent cup winners. Does Chicago win without Keith? Seabrook? Do the Pens win without Letang? Murray? Maybe some do overvalue first rounders but it's pretty hard to build a cup winner simply through top 10 picks.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008

demko and boesser have broken college records. hes no scotty bowman but to say hes lowe is lol

If the Canucks are anywhere near the wildcard spots when the deadline rolls around, watch out...

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016

Demko and Boesser have not broken any NCAA records worth noting, lol.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I see the Flames as a good candidate. I think our Alberta rivals will be pushing for a playoff spot and eventually overtake one of the Cali teams, most likely ANA.

Adding a solid winger for their 1st rounder might push them over the top and into a top 3 spot in the Pacific.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I see the Flames as a good candidate. I think our Alberta rivals will be pushing for a playoff spot and eventually overtake one of the Cali teams, most likely ANA.

Adding a solid winger for their 1st rounder might push them over the top and into a top 3 spot in the Pacific.

I don't see it. Why waste a first round pick on a guy that is either a rental or has to be protected in the expansion draft. We'd have to overpay to get an upgrade on Brouwer or Frolik on the RW (I think Chicago got killed in the Ladd trade). The LW is easier to upgrade but then that guy will probably get bumped the year after by Tkachuk.

Our drafting has been spot on lately. Get through the expansion, let the bad contracts expire and we should be able to get a solid UFA next summer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't see it. Why waste a first round pick on a guy that is either a rental or has to be protected in the expansion draft. We'd have to overpay to get an upgrade on Brouwer or Frolik on the RW (I think Chicago got killed in the Ladd trade). The LW is easier to upgrade but then that guy will probably get bumped the year after by Tkachuk.

Our drafting has been spot on lately. Get through the expansion, let the bad contracts expire and we should be able to get a solid UFA next summer.

Hate to admit it, but I agree. Tkachuk is going to be a pain to deal with, him and Bennett should make a good 2nd line down the road. Both have some bite in their game.

Good point on the expansion draft, that throws a curveball into everything.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hate to admit it, but I agree. Tkachuk is going to be a pain to deal with, him and Bennett should make a good 2nd line down the road. Both have some bite in their game.

Good point on the expansion draft, that throws a curveball into everything.

Ya decent timing for Calgary. Contracts expiring and the prospects need one more year.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
So, he broke a team mark that is limited to freshmen only... and not an actual NCAA record. Thanks for confirming this.

I like Connor but you act like there's some huge gap between him and Boeser when it's not true. It's been proven that Boeser's league is a harder league to score in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad