Which of these players will win a hart trophy in their careers moving forward?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of these players will win at least 1 hart trophy moving forward (ignore past wins)

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Haha personally I don't think MacKinnon was robbed at all. It was close either way, Hall had his own great case, and let's be real...MacKinnon lost the award himself with his play down the stretch. He went 9 straight games without a goal before scoring in the season finale.

I think people forget that both teams finished in 8th place in their respective conferences by a single point over the runner-up Panthers and Blues. If the Blues didn't finish 1-4-1, they would have made the Avs a non playoff team.

If MacKinnon did anything more than score 1 goal and 7 assists (1 was from an empty net) for 8 points in 10 games and a 4-5-1 Avs record and had them finish with some breathing room, he would have won.

His lackluster finish when it counted most was the direct opposite of Hall who finished with 8 goals and 8 assists for 16 points in 9 games and a 7-1-1 record. The Devils had to go ham because Florida won their final 5 games, so it was close there too. They would have missed the playoffs if they won even 1 game less down the stretch.

The situation surrounding their candidacies have become a little more lost to time, but it's all there in their schedules and verifiable.

Why on earth would the last 8 regular season games decide the race?

MacKinnon had more points and a better PPG. The same reason Draisaitl was the deserving Hart winner this year, is the reason MacKinnon should’ve won that year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Multiple Hart winners is pretty rare unless we're talking about top 30 type players of all time. McDavid will probably do it at some point, but I think guys like Kucherov and Draisaitl probably had their big seasons to get one. Kane too, who is also in his 30s now. And I think Panarin had his big season where he could have, but just missed out.

Crosby and Malkin seem unlikely. Crosby hasn't paced near the leaders in PPG since 16-17, and while he was 2nd that year and in 18-19, both times were far behind easy winners. Malkin was great this year, but once again missed time with injury. Hard to see him be fully healthy and on his game at his age. I suppose a shortened season might help both though if one got hot.

I voted MacKinnon, though he probably only has a couple seasons to do it in now. But the Avs look good and he might have just missing out twice work in his favour.

I also voted Matthews and Pettersson, as I can see them both have spike years that out them in the conversation. Especially if Matthdws hits 60 goals or something. Probably should have included Eichel in that as well.

Hedman I can't really see as defensemen just don't get the votes.

Lafreniere might but I'd like to see how he adjusts to the league first.

There's probably a few that will be surprises. How many people thought Kucherov and Draisaitl were likely winners 5 years ago?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Why on earth would the last 8 regular season games decide the race?

MacKinnon had more points and a better PPG. The same reason Draisaitl was the deserving Hart winner this year, is the reason MacKinnon should’ve won that year.

I was highlighting a particular subsection of games where MacKinnon disappeared when his team needed him most. Hall had the better second half of the season in addition. 57 points in final 40 games and a personal 26 game point streak.

Hate to break it to you, but sometimes the stretch run is what sticks in voters minds the most.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was highlighting a particular subsection of games where MacKinnon disappeared when his team needed him most. Hall had the better second half of the season in addition. 57 points in final 40 games and a personal 26 game point streak.

Hate to break it to you, but sometimes the stretch run is what sticks in voters minds the most.

He also had less points in more games played. Which is more significant then at what point in the season the points came.

I don’t think the final 8/9 games makes that much of a difference in these votes. It’s usually an analysis of the season as a whole.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He also had less points in more games played. Which is more significant then at what point in the season the points came.

I don’t think the final 8/9 games makes that much of a difference in these votes. It’s usually an analysis of the season as a whole.

Yet here we are. MacKinnon is the proud owner of 1 Calder, 0 100 point seasons, and no higher than 5th in any of the past 3 scoring races.

Narrative also matters. It didn't work in favor of your guy. Fear not because it will go in his corner over the next 1-3 seasons.

If he can ever put up 100 points and not just pace for it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yet here we are. MacKinnon is the proud owner of 1 Calder, 0 100 point seasons, and no higher than 5th in any of the past 3 scoring races.

Narrative also matters. It didn't work in favor of your guy. Fear not because it will go in his corner over the next 1-3 seasons.

If he can ever put up 100 points and not just pace for it.

I’ve never claimed he’s the best player. I think he’s fluctuated in the 2-8 range for the most part in the last 4/5 years. I already addressed the 100 point mark. He paced for it three times, but injures and the pandemic stopped that from happening.

Either way, I think he’ll hoist the most important trophy at some point in his career.

Reactions: JLaw1719

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I’ve never claimed he’s the best player. I think he’s fluctuated in the 2-8 range for the most part in the last 4/5 years. I already addressed the 100 point mark. He paced for it three times, but injures and the pandemic stopped that from happening.

Either way, I think he’ll hoist the most important trophy at some point in his career.

He definitely has not been in the 2-8 range for more than the past 3 seasons, but other than that agree to disagree and I go in peace.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
All of them should except the following:

- Crosby/Malkin/Kane (too old)
- Hedman (defensemen rarely win the Hart)
- Lafreniere (unknown potential)

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
MacKinnon is due, he actually has more top 3 finishes than anyone in the league in the past 3 seasons.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Haha personally I don't think MacKinnon was robbed at all. It was close either way, Hall had his own great case, and let's be real...MacKinnon lost the award himself with his play down the stretch. He went 9 straight games without a goal before scoring in the season finale.

I think people forget that both teams finished in 8th place in their respective conferences by a single point over the runner-up Panthers and Blues. If the Blues didn't finish 1-4-1, they would have made the Avs a non playoff team.

If MacKinnon did anything more than score 1 goal and 7 assists (1 was from an empty net) for 8 points in 10 games and a 4-5-1 Avs record and had them finish with some breathing room, he would have won.

His lackluster finish when it counted most was the direct opposite of Hall who finished with 8 goals and 8 assists for 16 points in 9 games and a 7-1-1 record. The Devils had to go ham because Florida won their final 5 games, so it was close there too. They would have missed the playoffs if they won even 1 game less down the stretch.

The situation surrounding their candidacies have become a little more lost to time, but it's all there in their schedules and verifiable.
While I personally don't agree that an 8 game sample in the season decides the Hart, I will agree on the fact that the Devils had to play mistake-free hockey down the stretch to even make the playoffs. I think that was what got the media voting Hall for the MVP. His play + their 7-1-1 record.

However, MacKinnon had 5 points in 8 games, which isn't terrible. Before those 8 games, he was on a 14-game point streak where he scored 27 points (31 in 16 if you want to stretch it even further), so he was also money in the closing month.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
McDavid and MacKinnon are my top two. I have no preference after that. I don't see Matthews winning it in Toronto as the anti-Leafs bias in the media is incredibly difficult to beat. Eichel will be mentally broken by the next two seasons, and I don't think there's any possibility of winning hardware in Buffalo so long he plays in Buffalo. I also don't see Pettersson winning one because I personally don't think he's as good as Canucks fans think he is. He is an excellent young player, possibly top ten centre in the NHL, but as far as a Hart? I'm not seeing the justification for it in Vancouver.

But just to surprise, I think Quinn Hughes should be on that list. That kid is something special and I think of all the defensemen in the league who are 25 and younger, he's going to be the most likely to get a Hart.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
If I look at the award as stated - 'the player judged most valuable to his team', I'm giving my vote to Eichel. As bad as the team has been, I can't imagine what kind of shape they would be in without him. I also think that since he is so young, and Buffalo has been bad for so long, that I have to think that the franchise will turn it around at some point and Eichel will lead that charge.

I just feel that the other teams could absorb the loss of most of the other players a lot easier than the Sabres could if they lost Jack. I'm a huuuuuuge Matthews fan, but don't the Leafs would be completely lost without him.

I also voted MacKinnon. I was really surprised just how far ahead of the rest of the team he was last year. I feel that Colorado has a strong, balanced lineup but don't get over the hump (which I think they will soon) without MacKinnon.

Also voted Pettersson. Likewise, even though he has a decent supporting cast, and didn't even lead the team in points, I can't see Vancouver taking the next step without him. He strikes me as the straw that stirs the drink on that team more than anyone else.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
McDavid and MacKinnon
Probably at least one other guy there but it's too hard to pick

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think McDavid and MacKinnon are the best bets to win a Hart moving forward. The old guard (Crosby, Malkin, Kane) are just that... old. Hedman, as great as he is, doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to put up an all-world season that gets a defenseman a Hart (he'd be only the 2nd since Orr). I do like Matthews, Eichel's and Pettersson's chances to be in the mix but hard to say if they'll win.

If anything, there will likely be some surprises too. I know I shot down Hedman's chances, because of the defenseman factor, but the likes of Hughes and Makar are so dynamic they could make a run at it.

And, sorry, but how the hell did this almost devolve into another Sid vs. OV debate? Just ****ing giving it up...

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yeah the guy with 5 nominations in the last 8 years and 6 top 5 overall has no chance

Track record has nothing to do with this. By that logic OV has 3 harts and more top 10 finishes than Crosby in the last 3 years, but would you vote for him? Of course you wouldn't.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I definitely think that guys like Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel, maybe even Lafreniere have the potential to do it. They don't have to be Ovechkin/Crosby tier players to win a Hart.

They just have to have a career year where guys like McDavid don't have a stellar top of the line year. They have to be like:
- Hall
- Perry
- Sedin
- St. Louis

Etc. All great players in their own rights, but none were serious Hart contenders for multiple years really.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I just have McDavid and MacKinnon

Can't say guys like Matthews or Eichel because they will never be better than either of those 2 at any point in their careers, and both McK and McD won't be eliminated from the convo by not being on a playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad