Which line would be better? Daniel Sedin/Henrik Sedin/Pavel Bure or Paul Kariya/Ryan Getzlaf/Teemu Selanne

Which line would be better?

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
This isn't which group of players is better, but considering chemistry, playstyles, etc, which line would be better?

The Sedins and Kariya/Selanne have arguably the best chemistry between 2 players in the last 30 years. Anaheim adds the best center in their franchise and Canucks add the best RW in their franchise.

Which line would be better?

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not really sure.

On the surface, i want to say the Sedins with Bure...but it would potentially be a bit of an awkward fit. Not that Bure was "one dimensional", and he could score goals in a huge array of different ways. But everything about his game was predicated so much on speed, and pushing the pace, stretching space. Whereas the Sedins were...pretty much the exact opposite. Their entire dominance was about slowing down and completely controlling the pace at their own speed, and compressing the ice, working those ridiculous mind-bending little mini-cycles that twisted defenders in knots.

It's entirely plausible players with that kind of skill level would ultimately just figure it out. And in the end...the Sedins were also dynamite with post-scoring-breaking Kesler on their wing, in the brief instances that was tried for some reason. He was also very much about pushing the pace in every opportunity, far more of a shooter and goal-scorer than passer, and that worked just fine. So it'd probably work. It just gives me some pause.

Come to think of it though, on that same level...the Ducks trio could end up a bit of a problem too. If you end up in a loop where Getzlaf and Kariya get too intent on basically trying to pass the puck into the net. I think Selanne being there probably cuts that out well enough. But i suppose there's a small theoretical "chemistry concern" there as well.

So final answer...i say Sedins+Bure. And then i go ahead and split Bure off to carry his own separate line anyway. :laugh:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If you end up in a loop where Getzlaf and Kariya get too intent on basically trying to pass the puck into the net. I think Selanne being there probably cuts that out well enough.

Huh? Kariya scored 400 goals himself despite the short career.

Anaheim for me. Kariya and Selanne were magic as a duo without a good center. They would be dynamite with Getzlaf. I think he fits better with them than Bure does with the Sedins. Bure was a rush player.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Based purely on chemistry, it’s hard not to go with the twins.

Based on chemistry with some better overall play, it’s likely Karina/Selanne

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not really sure.

On the surface, i want to say the Sedins with Bure...but it would potentially be a bit of an awkward fit. Not that Bure was "one dimensional", and he could score goals in a huge array of different ways. But everything about his game was predicated so much on speed, and pushing the pace, stretching space. Whereas the Sedins were...pretty much the exact opposite. Their entire dominance was about slowing down and completely controlling the pace at their own speed, and compressing the ice, working those ridiculous mind-bending little mini-cycles that twisted defenders in knots.

It's entirely plausible players with that kind of skill level would ultimately just figure it out. And in the end...the Sedins were also dynamite with post-scoring-breaking Kesler on their wing, in the brief instances that was tried for some reason. He was also very much about pushing the pace in every opportunity, far more of a shooter and goal-scorer than passer, and that worked just fine. So it'd probably work. It just gives me some pause.

Come to think of it though, on that same level...the Ducks trio could end up a bit of a problem too. If you end up in a loop where Getzlaf and Kariya get too intent on basically trying to pass the puck into the net. I think Selanne being there probably cuts that out well enough. But i suppose there's a small theoretical "chemistry concern" there as well.

So final answer...i say Sedins+Bure. And then i go ahead and split Bure off to carry his own separate line anyway. :laugh:
This is how I would do it as well as the Canucks often had difficulty finding players to fit with the Sedins and often it was lesser offensive guys like Trent Klatt, Anson Carter and alex burrows who thrived on the wing.

Selanne/Kariya had 2 of the most disappointing seasons ever when they went to Colorado for the 03-04 season.

Reactions: biturbo19

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Ducks but close

two nineties legends compared to one trumps the fact that I was never too impressed with Getzlaf (kirkland signature powerforward in a soft era) whereas the Sedins were unique and had a charm to them

i don't think either line is ideal to be honest

• Haha
Reactions: banks and LuGBuG

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that the Anaheim line works better. Selanne and Kariya were a very strong duo as the Sedins were, and on an individual level are better players. The Sedins generally did best with someone on their line to do a lot of the dirty work, like a Burrows or a Kesler, but they are certainly better defensively than Kariya and Selanne. Bure is a better player than Getzlaf but I don't really see how he fits on that line, the styles don't make much sense together. I don't see Selanne and Kariya cycling the puck with Getzlaf either, but I think that Getzlaf complements them decently in that he could be competent defensively and provide a physical/board presence they otherwise lack.

So yeah, I think that the Anaheim would function as an actual line, basically a rich man's version of Kariya and Selanne's actual line with Rucchin, whereas the other line either wastes the Sedins to help Bure or wastes Bure as the Sedins cycle the puck all day.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Huh? Kariya scored 400 goals himself despite the short career.

Anaheim for me. Kariya and Selanne were magic as a duo without a good center. They would be dynamite with Getzlaf. I think he fits better with them than Bure does with the Sedins. Bure was a rush player.

He was also very shot heavy, leading the league twice and having the third most in the league over his years as a Duck. I don’t think early career Kariya would fall into overpassing very often

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Voted VAN trio. The telepathic Sedin twins could make it work with Anson Carter. With Bure it would really be something to watch.

A young Selanne is all that made this close for me. I like Kariya and Getz, but feel they're both a bit overrated.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad