Prospect Info: Which Habs prospect goalie do you feel has the best chance of being our future #1?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Habs prospect goalie do you feel has the best chance of being our future #1?

• Total voters

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Fowler, but I'm honestly far more excited to see Laval play this year than the Habs and apart of that is to see how Dobes develops.

Imo he made big strides last year just from the start to the end of the season.

The team just didn't play well through and through, but Dobes didn't help. By the end he was Laval's best player overall for that season.

Volokhin is obviously very intriguing

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
The goaltending position is so volatile across the league. One year Linus Ullmark is winning the Vezina, next year he's traded. Kuemper, Murray, Binnington etc. winning Cups and then taking steps back. Even Vasilevskiy has started to look human.

Goaltenders # of games played has been going down for years, only 10 guys in the NHL played 55 or more games last season. and only one was under age 28 (Skinner).

The key to me is to have depth, was wise to draft three guys in the 2023 draft. Usually takes years before even the best young goaltenders are ready to play in the NHL. So hopefully more than one of those prospects will make it.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The goaltending position is so volatile across the league. One year Linus Ullmark is winning the Vezina, next year he's traded. Kuemper, Murray, Binnington etc. winning Cups and then taking steps back. Even Vasilevskiy has started to look human.

Goaltenders # of games played has been going down for years, only 10 guys in the NHL played 55 or more games. and only one was under age 28 (Skinner).

The key to me is to have depth, was wise to draft three guys in the 2023 draft. Usually takes years before even the best young goaltenders are ready to play in the NHL. So hopefully more than one of those prospects will make it.

To be fair, Ullmark got traded because he's a 31 years old who had 1 year left on his deal. Boston preferred the 25 years old RFA who is also very good.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
To be fair, Ullmark got traded because he's a 31 years old who had 1 year left on his deal. Boston preferred the 25 years old RFA who is also very good.
That is the point though, few teams are relying on one guy. Depth is important, that's how Vegas won their Cup.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Wow, you have strict guidelines. I can respect that.
I'm fairly certain several prospects we have will play games in the NHL, but it's a long way to be labelled #1. Primeau didn't make it yet for instance and he's going to be 26. They would have to be far more dominant and far more incisive on getting to the NHL to convince me.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'm fairly certain several prospects we have will play games in the NHL, but it's a long way to be labelled #1. Primeau didn't make it yet for instance and he's going to be 26. They would have to be far more dominant and far more incisive on getting to the NHL to convince me.
I like your answer. It was quite a difficult question. Goalies are so hard to get a grasp on. Primeau is a great example. The majority of us had high hopes for him. He's had games where he looked like a potential #1. Yet he still hasn't grabbed the top role after all these years.

Reactions: Runner77 and vokiel

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
With all the picks we have in this upcoming draft (2 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd) and this draft being a very good one for goalies. I think we’ll get a chance to grab one of them. A couple goalies in this coming draft are highly regarded but none expected to be picked in the 1st round (yet, early projections).

Our second rounders will probably both be early ones (our own and Pittsburgh). We already have a pretty damn good prospect pool. Top 3 no doubt with the addition of Demidov and Hage. I wouldn’t be surprised if we grab 2 skaters with our two first rounders and the top ranked goalie (Ravensbergen or Ivankovic) is sitting there for us to grab early in the second round. Most likely even in the third some of them will still be on the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I like your answer. It was quite a difficult question. Goalies are so hard to get a grasp on. Primeau is a great example. The majority of us had high hopes for him. He's had games where he looked like a potential #1. Yet he still hasn't grabbed the top role after all these years.
Primeau was a 7th round pick. Then he played well at Northeastern. But he was still a 7th round pick.

Fowler is the most likely.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Primeau was a 7th round pick. Then he played well at Northeastern. But he was still a 7th round pick.

Fowler is the most likely.
True, but he didn't play like a 7th round pick. I'm saying he was at one time considered our goalie of the future. He's still shown signs in Laval and with the Habs of potentially being one. So I"m not prepared to write him off yet. I just wouldn't bet the house on him ever becoming one.

Out of all our current options. I'm leaning towards Fowler as well.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Monty and Primeau can be solid but Fowler is the only one I see being a potential stud.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad