Where do you rank Seth Jones?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where does Seth Jones rank among all defenceman?

• Total voters

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
He quietly orchestrates games and doesn’t seem to break a sweat. Great passing, head on a swivel. Plays all the minutes. I’d put him top 10.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dude just rarely ever makes a mistake. Top 5 easily, especially when you consider what his point totals would be at on a team that can score

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
With all these 'where would you rank x defenseman' polls I'm starting to wonder what an actual top 30 list would look like, how long has it been since we've had one?

edit: here we go, almost a year ago, didn't look much further into if this was most recent, just googled it and nabbed first result

HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
4th on my list, only behind Karlsson, Pietrangelo, and Hedman.

Though after the last game I saw him play, I'd be tempted to put him higher. Perhaps I'll consider it once the game high wears off.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
IMO he has been the best dman ive seen this playoffs/qualifiers... he has impressed the hell outta me

he dominated every aspect of the game when he played in Portland when in junior, and now hes doing it at the pro level

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only guys currently I think that could be better are Hedman and Petro. But I'd say he's #2 behind Hedman and could surpass him quite soon.

Reactions: Foppberg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'd have him top 3. I think after Hedman there are a bunch of guys you can argue for though.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
6-10 pretty safely. He's like Pietrangelo in that he could/should get Norris votes every year, but they aren't flashy enough to actually win it in their current markets.

Probably 3-7 annually.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
other than hedman, no dman is defeintely better in the nhl. You can choose 2 or 3 others after hedman, he is one.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
With all these 'where would you rank x defenseman' polls I'm starting to wonder what an actual top 30 list would look like, how long has it been since we've had one?

edit: here we go, almost a year ago, didn't look much further into if this was most recent, just googled it and nabbed first result

HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders
This list was bad at the time and has only gotten worse since then

I think the top tier in the league is Hedman and Josi with no one else really having an argument for a top 2 spot over them. After that I would say Pietrangelo is the only guy close to those two, and then I would put Jones at the top of the 4-8 group of guys. He is so well rounded, but not as standout on one end as other pure offense or pure defense guys are

Reactions: tricky

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone voting him anywhere outside the Top 10 should really put down the spreadsheet and stop using that as your one and only evaluation tool.

It really is hard to reconcile some of the numbers with the eye test though. Like he looks like a stud, but then why doesn't he improve his team much when he's on the ice even just in terms of goals for and against? Obviously there's a lot of variance with goals, but it's been over a significant period now. Usually I try to look for reasons for why a player might look better or worse than his underlying stats, but there isn't a lot that makes sense for him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It really is hard to reconcile some of the numbers with the eye test though. Like he looks like a stud, but then why doesn't he improve his team much when he's on the ice even just in terms of goals for and against? Obviously there's a lot of variance with goals, but it's been over a significant period now. Usually I try to look for reasons for why a player might look better or worse than his underlying stats, but there isn't a lot that makes sense for him.
He's very physically talented player but also very passive defensively. This style of play occasionally gets mistaken for having good hockey sense, which isn't actually true in Jones' case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad