when will the canucks make the playoffs again?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Bad in 2012? We won the president's trophy. Sure our playoffs were sad, but to suggest we had a bad year ....

I keep seeing people make this statement, and its a complete fallacy.

I completely agree with this. We were 6 points behind our 2011 pace, and lost to the only team that was capable of beating us that year.

If the Canucks had traded Luongo shortly after the phantom "Game 8" redemption victory over Boston (a game in which the team truly became Schneider's in my opinion), and hadn't made an idiotic 'future' move of Hodgson for Kassian, this team likely would have weathered the storm without Daniel Sedin.

I don't want to comment further on this as it's not related to this thread, but don't effing get me started on 2012! People point to the "fact" that the Canucks stopped caring once they beat Boston, but the truth of the matter is that the Canucks simply didn't play the same way in front of Luongo as they did when playing in front of Schneider. Although Luongo is and was still an excellent goalie, the team didn't trust him in the manner that they did Schneider.

A package of Luongo and Hodgson for an immediate piece shortly after the January 7 2012 game, would have been perfect for that Canucks team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks won't make the playoffs again until they clean house with the coaching staff...they're just not NHL calibre....third period collapses and pp ineptitude are all about coaching and in-game management imo.....if the same guys are coming back, another visit to lottery-land is virtually guaranteed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Interesting article, mostly about CAR but it compares playoff chances to Canucks, and it is interesting comparing the two organizations given their rebuilding status.

I knew TO had lots of picks in the next few drafts, but didn't realize CAR has 22 picks in the next two drafts and $36M in cap space.

I don't think CAR makes playoffs next year, but I think they will make them before the Canucks do.

And you can also add Calgary and TO to that list....they've both been stockpiling draft picks through two trade deadlines....unfortunately the Canucks are heading in the other direction, trading picks of other team's B-level prospects and failing to trade any of their impending UFA's at the deadline...sheesh:shakehead

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Our playoff chances rely solely on which free agents we can sign July 1st. If you can get Stamkos, Lucic and/or Eriksson, this is likely a wildcard team. If you go the defensive route and load up on defensive free agents, this is likely a wildcard team as well.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
our playoff projection relies too much on too many others teams not performing. We are competing for 3rd in pacific or 8th spot and it will shut on us quickly if the 3 non-playoff teams in the Pacific cycle upwards.

The Flames scored 40 more goals then us last year but can't seem to keep the puck out of their own net. Their defense is going to outproduce ours by a wide margin. Their forwards are going to score. They need to find themselves some help in goal and some defensive forward support. They have to re-sign some big RFAs but they have the money to do so. They have a lot of picks to work from as well as a 6th overall. we'll see what the offseason brings them but they are cycling upwards and i have them as a playoff team next year.

The Coyotes are young. They have a stupid amount of signings to make both RFA and UFA. They have a lot more young talent on the way though and money to spend if they so choose to. Mike Smith is erratic and may be a hindrance to them getting anywhere soon.

The Oilers need defense. Who the hell knows if that stupid team will ever figure it out. They figure it out and we aren't touching them. however, with 7 top-7 picks in 7 years i can't even say they are cycling upwards. They should be but they have the loser bug and may well be broken.

The other 3 Pacific teams are all far better than us defensively and offensively but they are getting up there in age. They will have their falling off eventually. It may be next year or a few years down the line. Very hard to project us being better than any of them next year.

Central teams:

I think the Jets are a playoff team this next year and ascend more than any other team in the league. Goaltending may break them again but that team is too easily fixed in my opinion. Their young players are coming into their own. they are adding a rookie game breaker that will be cost controlled and their defense isn't very challenging to add to. They have a ******** of depth young players on their farm to add to any position on their team that needs help. Then they have a second 1st and a high 2nd round pick to possibly make a trade like the Canucks did this offseason.

I think the Wild miss next year. Too much clutter and not enough production. They'll be on the bubble though and can prove to be a hindrance to us sneaking in.

Colorado has too many issues on defense. I think they are on the outside again but how far down? I project them to be at the bottom of the standings next season

We will not touch Nashville. Their top 4 and goaltending are solid and they are signed for years to come.

I think St. Louis and Chicago are solid another year. Chicago may only be a wildcard team but that core is too solid to not be at least on the bubble.

Dallas may well revert back to two seasons ago. They are going to score a lot but how much will they give up? They need defensive help and goaltending needs to be better.

We aren't a good enough team and our playoff hopes in a conference where more than half the teams make it relies on other teams misfortune rather than our own skill.

i have Ducks, Sharks, Kings, Flames, Blues, Predators, Stars, Blackhawks, Jets and Wild all still better than the Canucks next year.

Lots of changes for every team of course.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Our playoff chances rely solely on which free agents we can sign July 1st.
Even in the best of circumstances - we tend to have to overpay to attract free agents (not a problem exclusive to the Canucks as it seems to effect most Canadian teams); why would a quality free agent want to sign here (baring a huge stack of money thrown at him - and you wonder if that's the type of player you'd want anyhow...)?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Interesting article, mostly about CAR but it compares playoff chances to Canucks, and it is interesting comparing the two organizations given their rebuilding status.

I knew TO had lots of picks in the next few drafts, but didn't realize CAR has 22 picks in the next two drafts and $36M in cap space.

I don't think CAR makes playoffs next year, but I think they will make them before the Canucks do.

Carolina easily has the most underrated future in the NHL. Bill Peters and Ron Francis is a very underrated duo. I thought they would make the playoffs this season, but I think Marcoux (their goalie coach) is a pretty big problem. They're going to be a scary team soon and I think they'll win a cup within the next 8-ish years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
And you can also add Calgary and TO to that list....they've both been stockpiling draft picks through two trade deadlines....unfortunately the Canucks are heading in the other direction, trading picks of other team's B-level prospects and failing to trade any of their impending UFA's at the deadline...sheesh:shakehead

Cap space isn't an issue with the Canes - never has been as they operate under a much lower internal cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad