Pre-Game Talk: When Might We See Fans in the Stands in Canada?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Alberta gov't should allow the same 2500 for Oiler games.

Maybe you can add a stipulation that people require 1 shot of the vaccine and maybe even they have to get a rapid COVID test on game day at their own expense.

Shoppers Drug Mart now is offering rapid COVID tests for $40 a pop in Alberta too.

Majority of cases in Alberta are in the Calgary/Central/South zones anyway according to what they released today:

• Calgary zone: 9,316
  • Edmonton zone: 4,656
  • North zone: 2,991
  • Central zone: 2,054
  • South zone: 985
  • Unknown: 11

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Alberta gov't should allow the same 2500 for Oiler games.

Maybe you can add a stipulation that people require 1 shot of the vaccine and maybe even they have to get a rapid COVID test on game day at their own expense.

Shoppers Drug Mart now is offering rapid COVID tests for $40 a pop in Alberta too.

Majority of cases in Alberta are in the Calgary/Central/South zones anyway according to what they released today:

• Calgary zone: 9,316
  • Edmonton zone: 4,656
  • North zone: 2,991
  • Central zone: 2,054
  • South zone: 985
  • Unknown: 11

We aren’t where Quebec is right now for hospitalizations numbers, especially ICU. A non starter for the govt until that becomes manageable.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
If we are allowed fans, like Montreal. You guys think it could be a draw for tickets? Or would they just open ticket sales to anyone at a specific time? I would think that would be a sh!t show, they would sell out instantly and inevitably scalpers will have a field day.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hopefully our premier doesn’t make his decisions based on what other provinces are doing when the situations are very different.

Quebec largely avoided a 3rd wave. Alberta didn’t.

Just hopefully people get vaccinated so we can start to return to getting fans into buildings.

Seeing American buildings near full is pissing me right off as to how far behind we are in vaccinations.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we are allowed fans, like Montreal. You guys think it could be a draw for tickets? Or would they just open ticket sales to anyone at a specific time? I would think that would be a sh!t show, they would sell out instantly and inevitably scalpers will have a field day.

My guess is Season ticket holders will be offered all tickets first as there wouldn’t be enough to go around.

Reactions: jeffff and Oildrum

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Assuming it’s based on vaccinated STH’s, as it should be. They should get first chance.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We aren’t where Quebec is right now for hospitalizations numbers, especially ICU. A non starter for the govt until that becomes manageable.
You'd think though, that with our smaller population, spikes can rise but also fall a lot faster. Also, it's worth noting that you can separate things by region as well as by province. Edmonton has almost half the covid numbers as Calgary.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Odds are that tickets will be sold to season ticket holders with proof of vaccination. The scalper market will be non-existent in all likelihood.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

At this point if you're in a vulnerable age group and you refuse to get vaccinated you're kind of holding the entire province hostage. Those people need to stop being a selfish jerk off and get vaccinated.

The vaccines have been available to anyone 65+ for weeks now, I'm guessing a large portion of the people clogging up ICUs now are too proud to vaccinate morons in that age range.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
At this point if you're in a vulnerable age group and you refuse to get vaccinated you're kind of holding the entire province hostage. Those people need to stop being a selfish jerk off and get vaccinated.

The vaccines have been available to anyone 65+ for weeks now, I'm guessing a large portion of the people clogging up ICUs now are too proud to vaccinate morons in that age range.

That age group is well vaccinated. Well over 80%. They are not the problem in hospitals right now. It’s mainly those younger than 65.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Young (and I use that term liberally for anyone 40 or under lets say) have sacrificed a shit ton the last 16 months to keep older/vulnerable populations safe.

No concerts, live sporting events, movie theaters, airplane travel, nightclubs, missed proms, missed graduations, missed community sports, etc. etc. etc. for the overwhelming majority of people.

People in Alberta deserve this, if you're 65+ and you are too stubborn to vaccinate when vaccines have been available for your age group for many weeks now ... seriously at some point society probably needs to say we can't have everything shut down because your dumb ass might end up in the ICU.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, if you live in Montreal, one day you have to stay shuttered in your home while the apocalypse happens, and the next evening, you can sit in public in an enclosed arena and watch a hockey game with a few thousand other fans?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Young (and I use that term liberally for anyone 40 or under lets say) have sacrificed a shit ton the last 16 months to keep older/vulnerable populations safe.

No concerts, live sporting events, movie theaters, airplane travel, nightclubs, missed proms, missed graduations, missed community sports, etc. etc. etc. for the overwhelming majority of people.

People in Alberta deserve this, if you're 65+ and you are too stubborn to vaccinate when vaccines have been available for your age group for many weeks now ... seriously at some point society probably needs to say we can't have everything shut down because your dumb ass might end up in the ICU.

Not a great take. Many over the age of 40 have been making the same or in some cases more sacrifices than those under 40. What part of 80%+ of those 65 and older have already been vaccinated, and that the vast majority in hospitals right now are under the age of 65 are you not understanding?

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What a horrible post. You apparently have no clue that many over the age of 40 have been making the same or in some cases more sacrifices than those under 40. What part of 80%+ of those 65 and older have already been vaccinated, and that the vast majority in hospitals right now are under the age of 65 are you not understanding?

Are there age splits on what age the people in ICUs are? I doubt it's young people.

If you're an older person (60+) and refuse to get a vaccine and don't kid yourself, Alberta has a lot of stubborn, old f***s here, what are we supposed t to do? Have everything closed indefinitely for their sake?

Before the vaccine was available I understood taking precautions for the good of everyone, but mainly elderly populations. But now? When a vaccine has been widely available to everyone in that age range for quite some time?

At some point, enough is enough. People who are 50+ even don't have an excuse to not be vaccinated. It's easy for anyone in that age group by and large to get vaccinated.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Are there age splits on what age the people in ICUs are? I doubt it's young people.

If you're an older person (60+) and refuse to get a vaccine and don't kid yourself, Alberta has a lot of stubborn, old f***s here, what are we supposed t to do? Have everything closed indefinitely for their sake?

Before the vaccine was available I understood taking precautions for the good of everyone, but mainly elderly populations. But now? When a vaccine has been widely available to everyone in that age range for quite some time?

At some point, enough is enough. People who are 50+ even don't have an excuse to not be vaccinated. It's easy for anyone in that age group by and large to get vaccinated.
which is why setting % targets before easing restrictions is near impossible IMO

anyways, I'd love to see fans in the building at some point...unless its the Leafs that make it far, than I hope they stay closed :sarcasm:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I’ll respond in the Covid thread.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oiler crowd has always been like a secret 7th man out there for the team and the energy they create can put this team on a run. Huge disadvantage not having a crowd this year, hope we can get some asses in seats soon.

With the vaccine rolling out nicely.. I don’t see why we can’t get some at low risk people, maybe already vaccinated, into the building to make some much needed noise.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So, if you live in Montreal, one day you have to stay shuttered in your home while the apocalypse happens, and the next evening, you can sit in public in an enclosed arena and watch a hockey game with a few thousand other fans?
Isn’t it great?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad