The leafs should _____ offseason thread

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow lol all time terrible take! Yzerman built that Tampa team, hasnt lucked into an elite pick with Detroit. Lets see Analytics first GM's.... Chayka and Dubas the two worst GM's in the NHL in the last decade outside of Dorion. Great call!
You don’t luck into elite picks. It’s called drafting.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It passed the 10-year mark now.

Pros:
-TML are perennial "mostly safe to get in" playoff contenders.
-Plenty of star power, with the best league goal scorer on the roster.
-Decent roster/cap/budget flexibility.

Cons:
-Infamous list of failed/fired/leaving GMs and coaches.
-Perennial playoff failures.
-No. 28 in 2024 NHL prospect pool rankings.

Is there still some semblance of a plan going on, or did an NHL meathead swindle a billion-dollar corporation into setting up his family for centuries with no impunity?
tumblr_oxs1b6A2zk1w6qzxgo1_400.gif

I don't care about all this... but who makes the prospect list?

28 is not where they should be...

Off the top of my head, these should all be worse:

Pitts/Florida/Tampa/Edmonton/Boston/Sens/Islanders/Avs/Vegas

Maybe I do not remember their entire pools, but if it is Wheeler's breakdown, he also said this:

"Decent depth but no top end. Raised eyebrows towards some late round goalies. I’m watching Fraser Minton and not much else, but what am I missing, Leafs fans? I guess Hirvonen is still a thing."

That doesn't even include the Leafs' best prospect... he is an idiot.

McDavid in 5 games: 11 pts

Leafs Big Four in a 7 game series: 12 pts

The difference is the PP by the way, and also a huge reason Toronto failed... McDavid has 3 pts at ES, the same as any of Nylander, Matthews, and Marner.

Not necessarily a shot at McDavid, just that Toronto needs to figure out the PP, they will win some series with decent special teams.

Edmonton relying on the PP is also why they lose when they play good teams.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
To be fair, LA ain’t the Bruins. The Leafs would have strolled past LA just as easily as the Oilers.
LA was the 3rd best team in goals against

The reality is that the Leafs don’t know how to win a playoff series

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
No one hates the shanaplan more than Leaf fans.

Time for the Sham a plan to GTFO.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
it did not at all. yeah some variables changed. then you should adapt the plan. if shanahan cant do that he should have been sacked like 4 years ago
It did not hit the leafs hard? Did the leafs not make terrible decisions that were compounded by covid? These things aren't mutually exclusive.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
McDavid played against Talbot. Get real. McDavid is a cherry picker. The Oilers are a trash team that have had a free pass the last 3 seasons in a row against the worst playoff team in the NHL. The Oilers would not even make the playoffs in the Atlantic. Skinner is garbage and the D is comical.
I get how it's possible to forget, but Washington did qualify for the playoffs.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
McDavid in 5 games: 11 pts

Leafs Big Four in a 7 game series: 12 pts

Boston is better than the Kings and Swayman played significantly better than Talbot. Obviously the Leafs core didn't play at top level, but let's not act like their stats were solely due to that.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Shanahan reports to MLSE, which is owned by Rogers and Bell, two corporations who only care about profits, and not customer satisfaction or exceptional achievements.
Pretty much. fans look at the leafs and see losses, but the leafs are printing money so Shannahan's job is basically safe. It'd take a fan boycott to change that. And I don't think Leaf fans have the stones to boycott.

Ultimately this is on leafs fans themselves. Their willingness to shell out their hard-earned and accept a mediocre, half hearted product on the ice is what led directly to the complacency of MLSE. Things didn't get better in Boston until the fans made it clear that the old crap wasn't acceptable anymore. And I'll say, that was painful. Almost as painful was watching what the Bruins had been reduced to before the boycott.

Sooner or later Leafs fans have to collectively say, you insult my passion by treating me like a milk cow, no more cream for you. And start keeping their wallets closed. It's the only thing that works.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
First off Dubas didn't approach anyone for employment. He was approached by FSG to consider being President. A position that he liked as control over the decision making process. Also he didn't jump in the job. He knew what he wanted to return to hockey and FSG gave him what he considered critical to taking the position.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Wow lol all time terrible take! Yzerman built that Tampa team, hasnt lucked into an elite pick with Detroit. Lets see Analytics first GM's.... Chayka and Dubas the two worst GM's in the NHL in the last decade outside of Dorion. Great call!
Dubas may talk about analytics and how much he likes analytics, but I doubt Dubas is really an analytics guy himself. He's a Player Agent turned "personnel management" guy. It's kind of amazing how putting on some trendy glasses and speaking the analytics talk while being a young guy convinced a bunch of people that he was some sort of analytical wunderkind.

Chayka of course was just a straight up charlatan spinning whatever snake oil analytic model he crafted up. Both were pretty terrible GM hires.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They were certainly projecting their raises to core players with a cap increase in mind. Covid probably hit the Leafs harder than just about any team. A bad time to be giving out huge contracts.

I think the Bolts have you beat, winning consecutive cups and all our players deserved big pay increases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad