The leafs should _____ offseason thread

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
They didn't lose Kadri due to cap space.

Torontos cap flexibility, assets, etc would have not been impacted if the cap kept rising as expected but Covid ended that. The NHL cap should be 90-95mil right now but Covid froze it for half the Leafs prime contention window.
While you’re not wrong, but for me personally I felt Dubas was too generous with giving in to what Matthews, and Marner demanded (lesser extent Nylander - although he did set the tone by sitting out).

Kane/Toews both signed after their ELC for a few % less of the salary cap and went on to win 2 Cups.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
they'll run it again. what other choice do they have
I do believe this has always been the logic. They'd love to change the core, but the time to get full value has long past, especially on the two guys they want to trade: Tavares and Marner. Fans would have unrealistic trade ideas

However I do think that has changed. The fans and the media have refined their thinking and believe it is Marner who is going, and it's going to be for a bad return.

After July, look for a trade at the same time as you toss contract offers around for someone like Pesce or the best D out there.

Take a serious look a goalies available. The ideal would be have Woll and someone as good as Woll. The Boston model, except it is more important because Woll is injury prone

Toronto would also get good assets for the trade, but the main feature would be what they could do with the cap space

Reactions: sansabri

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I do believe this has always been the logic. They'd love to change the core, but the time to get full value has long past, especially on the two guys they want to trade: Tavares and Marner. Fans would have unrealistic trade ideas

However I do think that has changed. The fans and the media have refined their thinking and believe it is Marner who is going, and it's going to be for a bad return.

After July, look for a trade at the same time as you toss contract offers around for someone like Pesce or the best D out there.

Take a serious look a goalies available. The ideal would be have Woll and someone as good as Woll. The Boston model, except it is more important because Woll is injury prone

Toronto would also get good assets for the trade, but the main feature would be what they could do with the cap space
Imo the Leafs will look for a scapegoat and this year it will be Marner. Kadri was the scapegoat before and he went on to win the Cup on another tesm. Marner will get traded to a team that’s close and likely be a big part of them winning the Cup. Kessel was a big part of two Cups in Pittsburgh.
Imo the Leafs shouldn’t trade Marner. They will be watching him raise the Cup on another club if they do. Just like Kadri and Kessel.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
People can keep pointing to how good the roster is, but I rarely ever see teams go far in the playoffs when they just have one decent puck moving d-man and that’s it on the back-end.

But thats literally the problem isn't it? Leaf fans/media keeps tire pumping the roster but completely ignore goalies/D/bottom 6 forwards. In other words they ignore 2/3's of their roster which is pretty weak.

The Leafs likely had the weakest D, bottom 6 and Goalie tandem of any playoff team.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
How? Their four best paid players all have full NMCs and the fifth have a partial NMC. And one of them is really the only players you can trade to make a difference to the roster.
I guess maybe thinking 2 years from now when a few of those expire.
Tavares was just so unnecessary. Marner, thanks but no thanks.

If this "Shanaplan" has any juice left in it, pick up the Bat-phone and get a "3rd party non-tampering connection" to Crosby and his people for a Hail Mary...err nevermind Shanny and non-tampering:

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve been feeling this for a while, but if Tampa can’t sign Stamkos I think the Leafs dump the last year of Tavares and sign him. I think he wants to stay in Tampa and will only leave if they don’t sign him.

In that event I think he goes to the Leafs and they dump the last year of Tavares.

That would be one of those “Culture change” or shakeup moves that we rarely see anymore.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Shanahan was put in a perfect position and consistently serves up disappointment.

Shanaplan:
1) Have great offensive players.
2) Sign one more great offensive player.
3) …
4) Profit?

I’m suddenly wondering how he deals with the mozzarella stick on ice that is Marner. Dude played with Yzerman, how does he watch Mitch’s crap and accept it? Stevie was smaller and had -1 knee, still showed up. Not enough things in the office were thrown.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo the Leafs will look for a scapegoat and this year it will be Marner. Kadri was the scapegoat before and he went on to win the Cup on another tesm. Marner will get traded to a team that’s close and likely be a big part of them winning the Cup. Kessel was a big part of two Cups in Pittsburgh.
Imo the Leafs shouldn’t trade Marner. They will be watching him raise the Cup on another club if they do. Just like Kadri and Kessel.
I even see Toronto fans and media accept that Marner will go and very well win the cup elsewhere. The question is, are you going to let the fear of what Marner will do elsewhere paralyze you into keeping this core together at all costs ?

Or, is it time to move on and hope for the best? Maybe that even means risking missing the playoffs. But it might be the only way to get a cup

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Is it fair to say this season was their most complete team in a while? I thought for sure they would be better suited for the playoffs this year. Maybe goaltending was still a bit of a question but their defense was solid and they got pretty strong Depth at forward with Domi and Bertuzzi.

Will be curious to see the direction they choose to go because clearly they need to re-tool a few things.

With that defense? No.

The defense was better with healthy/non-cooked Muzzin, Brodie and Gio in their top four. That was a pretty short period though.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With the Canes seemingly low balling Rod, does it present an opportunity for the Leafs? Rod was earning 600,000k 🤯 until his latest extension bumped it to 1.8m. Gotta think MLSE would go considerably higher.

Canes will cough up the dough when they have to. Their owner is a penny-pincher, but he isn’t a short-sighted dumbass like my boy Pegula. Hope you frack your way to hell, Terry!

It’s an interesting idea, but I’d think Canes match and Rod prefers what he knows vs. the media circus of Toronto. Then again, he does seem the type to take on a challenge. I’d actually worry about the leafs then, so I’m hoping they leaf it up and bungle it.

Reactions: BB79 and Channelcat

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I guess you are a bit younger than I thought. The objective of any effort in this world is to generate revenues. Toronto is doing fine in these terms so our children will have a chance to celebrate 100 anniversary in 2067.
Yeah, no one is taking these kinds of posts seriously. Have a good weekend bro.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad