The leafs should _____ offseason thread

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I think people somehow misunderstand how this shit works. The president is the president. No GM gets full autonomy without the guy above them signing off. Shanahan signed off on every move the Leafs have made. He's had 3 GM's and 4 coaches. Let guys like Hyman go. You can say it's hindsight in some situations but this guy is supposed to be smarter than us. That's his job.
It is not his job to actually evaluate how good this or that move is. He is responsible for higher level decisions and probably blocking total crap. Otherwise, there is no sense to have a GM.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
They would make more profit with a better playoff team.

That's not how Rogers and Bell executives think.

Playoff revenue is bonus, like data overage charges.

They care about base subscription charges, so season ticket renewal rates, prices, concession profits, cost cutting measures. Things like adding better in arena experience that would encourage season ticket renewals would be priority, because those are measureable and predictable.

Leafs making the playoffs will have a spike in merchandizing sales, that is controllable in terms of icing competitive team. Winning rounds is something they would love, but it cannot be controlled by spending to the salary cap.

Making big changes to the roster might help, but it might not. Unless Leafs fans starts burning Marner jerseys on the streets, Rogers and Bell wouldn't care. They wouldn't even care if Leafs fans declare a boycott of Rogers and Bell, because where would those fans go? LOL.

If you have worked for either Rogers or Bell, you would know how these two organizations work.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I think people somehow misunderstand how this shit works. The president is the president. No GM gets full autonomy without the guy above them signing off. Shanahan signed off on every move the Leafs have made. He's had 3 GM's and 4 coaches. Let guys like Hyman go. You can say it's hindsight in some situations but this guy is supposed to be smarter than us. That's his job.
Yep. When the Ownership asks what is going on? They ask Shanahan and not Treliving.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It is not his job to actually evaluate how good this or that move is. He is responsible for higher level decisions and probably blocking total crap. Otherwise, there is no sense to have a GM.
Higher level decisions...as in, deciding whether his GM is making the right moves. He's been the president for just over 10 years now, how is he not accountable for multiple GM's? He oversees them and he puts the stamp on major decisions.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Higher level decisions...as in, deciding whether his GM is making the right moves. He's been the president for just over 10 years now, how is he not accountable for multiple GM's? He oversees them and he puts the stamp on major decisions.
Yeah, it's pretty clear he is the overall architect of the Leafs. Dubas wanted to change it up and within days he was gone.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Unless Leafs fans starts burning Marner jerseys on the streets, Rogers and Bell wouldn't care.
Does burning Marner jerseys in the backyard count?
Marner Burning Jersey.png

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, it's pretty clear he is the overall architect of the Leafs. Dubas wanted to change it up and within days he was gone.
It sounded to me like ownership played a part in the whole Dubas thing as well. Like there was a whole daisy chain of approvals that had to happen before somebody could trade Marner.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Covid did not help things. Flat cap hit them pretty hard.
so what? then trade one of the coreguys to regain flexibility. but the leafs kept all of them to playerfriendly and overpriced contracts. Because top-end skill wins, both the leafs and their fans stated this over and over again.

But both were wrong.

rinse and repeat

Reactions: kp61c

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
so what? then trade one of the coreguys to regain flexibility. but the leafs kept all of them to playerfriendly and overpriced contracts. Because top-end skill wins, both the leafs and their fans stated this over and over again.

But both were wrong.

rinse and repeat
And? Thats a beef with Dubas, he should have done that, but that does not change the fact that the leafs got f***ed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And? Thats a beef with Dubas, he should have done that, but that does not change the fact that the leafs got f***ed.
He tried and it resulted in him needing a new job.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
This.

Their franchise was in incredible shape after the 17/18 season. In terms of cap flexibility, assets , potential, they were probably the wealthiest team in the league in player/picks assets. They lost key guys like Hyman and Kadri and burned so many assets and it has caught up to them.

I feel bad for the good Leaf fans out there, they got f***ed with horrific management.

They didn't lose Kadri due to cap space.

Torontos cap flexibility, assets, etc would have not been impacted if the cap kept rising as expected but Covid ended that. The NHL cap should be 90-95mil right now but Covid froze it for half the Leafs prime contention window.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
This.

Their franchise was in incredible shape after the 17/18 season. In terms of cap flexibility, assets , potential, they were probably the wealthiest team in the league in player/picks assets. They lost key guys like Hyman and Kadri and burned so many assets and it has caught up to them.

I feel bad for the good Leaf fans out there, they got f***ed with horrific management.
the big guys all got a bit too much which adds up over time. it prevents the leafs from getting quality depth.

they chose the wrong players. skill above all else cost them hyman, kadri, marchment. all of which bring something the big 4 doesnt.

they kept dubas in office too long which ate too much of the big 4's prime years.

they never invested wisely in goaltending. they were all gambles.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Again I ask and? My point was that covid hit the leafs hard, harder than most. I only brought up Dubas because other people responding to my initital comment kept bringing him up.

It may have hit Toronto harder than most but that's their fault for giving out so many huge contracts. They rewarded their young players a year or two too soon and they probably should have built the team organically rather than adding Tavares to a forward core that already had enough high end talent.

That being said, not sure this thread is totally necessary. This is the first year their team looked like a real threat in the playoffs and their supporting cast and goaltending were solid. They played with a lot of guts but Marner and Tavares were nowhere near good enough in this series. 5 combined points in 7 games, oof. I could have seen Toronto go on a run if they had won this game 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad