What would YOUR 2014-2015 Jets look like?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I don't disagree. I fully want the Jets to go after a Halak. However I am saying that the market for him is much softer than people seem to expect, as you said most teams have locked in big money with their starter already and those that haven't have young guys they want to turn to. I have no problem giving Halak a good salary. My other point was that guys like Hutch are not hot commodities that can demand raises or expect to be claimed off waivers.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So we really are a top contender for halak if we buy out pavs? It would be great to see Chevy make a splash, 4.8 million over five years should do the trick

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So we really are a top contender for halak if we buy out pavs? It would be great to see Chevy make a splash, 4.8 million over five years should do the trick

It would be nice to see, but truthfully, I am not expecting it from Chevy. I don't think he will be that bold or aggressive in improving the team, which is a shame. We'll see though. Unfortunately I think we're going into next year with Pavelec.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I don't disagree. I fully want the Jets to go after a Halak. However I am saying that the market for him is much softer than people seem to expect, as you said most teams have locked in big money with their starter already and those that haven't have young guys they want to turn to. I have no problem giving Halak a good salary. My other point was that guys like Hutch are not hot commodities that can demand raises or expect to be claimed off waivers.

I agree on all fronts. I would be ecstatic if we added Jaro. In fact, I think that would punch our playoff ticket for next season.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
given what it'll cost to buyout pav, I too have trouble imagining we'd go after Halak. Obviously it's ideal, but buying out pav is really the big ticket, and while i'm tricking myself into believe TNSE will spend the money to do that, i can't fool myself into believing they'll drop 4 mil plus on top of that.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
given what it'll cost to buyout pav, I too have trouble imagining we'd go after Halak. Obviously it's ideal, but buying out pav is really the big ticket, and while i'm tricking myself into believe TNSE will spend the money to do that, i can't fool myself into believing they'll drop 4 mil plus on top of that.

I think you're likely right, Grind. It's tough because in my opinion, Halak in net with this team as it is right now likely means a playoff team. Halak + a top 4 LH defenceman + quality NHL depth in the bottom 6 forwards surely = Playoffs, in my opinion. With a group who appears as close as we are, I am not sure why a GM would not capitalize on this. We're young, we're locked up for the coming years, it just makes sense to begin making the push and adding those necessary roster pieces. With Maurice at the helm, I have zero doubts that if a few moves are made, a year from right now we're in the playoffs for the first of many years.

Maybe it's just me, but that is how confident I feel, personally. I think it will be a shame to prolong this any further by not making the necessary moves. The opportunity is standing in front of this group, staring them right in the face. Your move, Chevy...

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I think you're likely right, Grind. It's tough because in my opinion, Halak in net with this team as it is right now likely means a playoff team. Halak + a top 4 LH defenceman + quality NHL depth in the bottom 6 forwards surely = Playoffs, in my opinion. With a group who appears as close as we are, I am not sure why a GM would not capitalize on this. We're young, we're locked up for the coming years, it just makes sense to begin making the push and adding those necessary roster pieces. With Maurice at the helm, I have zero doubts that if a few moves are made, a year from right now we're in the playoffs for the first of many years.

Maybe it's just me, but that is how confident I feel, personally. I think it will be a shame to prolong this any further by not making the necessary moves. The opportunity is standing in front of this group, staring them right in the face. Your move, Chevy...

I agree 100% with everything. This team is so much closer then it looks in the standings. I mean you just add an average starting goaltenders numbers to our team. And that gives us a few more wins in all those 1 goal games we lost. That right there just about makes us a playoff team. A legit bottom 6, which is not expensive to gain, gives us a little more scoring, also helping in all those wack loads of 1 goal games. Just to add 1-2 good proven 3rd/ 4th liners and a decent starting goalie we are a playoff team. Can't argue that. And if you go one step further, and we added a true #3-4 solid defensive d-man, not only are we a playoff team, we could actually do some damage, maybe win a round or 2. Obviously thats a perfect world, depending on injuries and Ladd, Little, Buff, Wheeler, Scheif, Trouba keeping pace and for some improving a bit.

I can see TNSE and Chevy maybe adding 1 bottom 6 guy. I don't see them adding a d-man unless somehow it came in a trade for Kane or Buff, other then maybe a depth guy, which we already have a lot of anyway. And I don't see them putting up the money and risk of buying out Pavs, or tossing big money at Halak or Hiller. Which is truly sad. Because without upgrading in net, playoffs are a pipe dream, unless we made a big splash in front of the goalie, which again Chevy doesn't have the ba**s or support to do. :shakehead:help:

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
But you never know. Maybe Chevy will make a significant move this summer, whether it be a big trade, or buying out Pavs or what ever. I fear if they don't make some moves in the next 2 seasons, we will have a much longer wait then people think. Ladd, Buff contracts coming up. Little, Wheeler, Ladd, Buff, Enstrom are all in primes right now. Which I think means we should be upgrading this summer, and the next summer. Hoping for maybe a couple playoff runs for experience, and if all goes well actually putting a team that has a shot at contending into the mix in 3-4 years time, where Trouba, Kane, Scheif will be around the start of priming, and the older guys will be near the end of primes. Because once that older group either is gone, or starts on the down fall, we will have a LONG wait. Sure we will have a few good pieces still, but to get as many pieces as we could have in a 2-3 years time, will take some serious tanking.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Um, how are Hutchinson or Pasquale going to want increases? They are both due 10% raises for QO's (going to 660K and 632.5K respectively) due to CBA (neither are due 1 way contracts in QO). Neither have done anything at all at the NHL level and many a AHL goalies at their time and experience are forced to abandon North America altogether in order to get contracts playing pro hockey. I'd be surprised if either did not accept their QO at those rates, they are both quickly running out of time in North America and need NHL contracts to get a shot.
The sad part is that anybody with a clear head can see that Hutchinson/Pasquale/Montoya can't possibly be any worse than P******, and will probably be significantly better.

As for Montoya, 2 years ago he blew a starter role and barely got an NHL contract. Since then he has been passable as a backup and is now 28 years old never done much.
You'd probably be out of commission for a couple of years if you got run over by Evander Kane. Montoya probably showed this season what his career could have been like if not for being run over by "the Kane Train".

Goalies are a weird market. IF the Jets wanted to go with Montoya/Hutchinson/Pasquale next season we are looking a total goalie salary of less than 1.5 million.
I assume you're talking Montoya with the Jets. And Hutchinson and Pasquale on 2-way contracts, with one of them being down at St. John's / Thunder Bay.

Much like pretty much every off-season the goalie market will be soft. Halak, Hiller and the rest will go for less than people think. Much like my above comments, goalies are not something you devote resources to in today's NHL. Exact reason that both Hutchinson and Pasquale will have absolutely no problem clearing waivers next year.
You never know. Think about Miettinen/Clitsome/Ellerby. :laugh:

teebanas

Feb 27, 2013
West St Paul MB
Since I started this thread I completely forgot to post my ideal lineup. This may be just fantasy but it's fun to dream....

Kane-Scheifs-Wheeler

Ladd-Little-Read/Fro

FA(?) - O'Dell/Joki(?) - Frolik/Read

Tangradi - Slater - Anyone*

Enstrom - Trouba

Coburn - Bogo

Stu - Clitsome(two LHD kinda meh)

Hiller/Halak/Not Pavelec
Hutch/Monty

This is assuming we get Read(or a different F) and Coburn for a Buff + trade

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Any sensible GM would definitely realize how close we are & could make the necessary moves, but Chevy has shown no ability to do much more than listen to the right scout at the right time.

He's shown no inclination to pull the trigger on anything of substance and if he fails to pull the trigger on the buyout this summer, we won't see anything but lateral moves until P & Chevy both get booted out after the 2016 season.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but that endorsement of Pavs today by Mo (OK wasn't an endorsement but it pretty much says he'll be back) has pretty much put me over the edge expecting anything good to come from Chevy and this management group. HEAVEN FORBID, they might have to spend some money to buy Pavs out

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Buyout: Pavelec

Acquire via trade: Kennedy (SJ)

Bring back: Burmistrov

Trade: Byfuglien to Philadelphia for Matt Read + Braydon Coburn

Sign (UFA): Halak

Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Read
Kennedy - Burmistrov/O'Dell - Frolik
Tangradi - Slater - Lipon
Peluso

Enstrom - Trouba
Coburn - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma/Redmond

Halak
Montoya/Hutchinson

Playoffs 2015, for the first year of many, I think.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
With the up year Coburn is having, they may not trade him for Buff straight up. Let alone packaged with a cap friendly talent like Read.

If anything they would want him to play with Coburn IMO

Philly has extra depth at C. I think any deal with them would be based around B. Schenn... Which im cool with. A small plus like a mid round pick or prospect from Philly would probably be fair

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
With the up year Coburn is having, they may not trade him for Buff straight up. Let alone packaged with a cap friendly talent like Read.

If anything they would want him to play with Coburn IMO

Philly has extra depth at C. I think any deal with them would be based around B. Schenn... Which im cool with. A small plus like a mid round pick or prospect from Philly would probably be fair

Agreed. I think IF the flyers were interested in Buff, they probably want him AND Coburn on their D.

I'd take Read and Laughton for Buff though. If Laughton is ready, a Laughton / Burmi / Frolik 3rd line might be interesting to watch.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Valid points re; Coburn. If I could choose a return it would definitely be Brayden Schenn, he's the guy I've wanted all year for Byfuglien.

Huffer; I'd also take Read + Laughton, in a heartbeat. That's a deal I've mentioned before, had it in my post above but altered it to Coburn :)laugh:). Laughton is going to be a player in this league. A Mike Richards/Ryan Callahan, I think. I'd love to have him here, especially with recent prospect draftees in Scheifele + Trouba graduating the system, to have Morrissey, Laughton, 2014 1st round pick, Lowry, Petan, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Lipon, Copp, Kosmachuk, etc. Love, love, love that depth in the system. And, they would all be in the AHL within a year or two. You can really see our system beginning to take shape here throughout what has seemed like a fairly long, drawn out process. Get the NHL roster to the playoffs and this organization is in good hands and headed in a really solid direction, I think.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Valid points re; Coburn. If I could choose a return it would definitely be Brayden Schenn, he's the guy I've wanted all year for Byfuglien.
The Flyers might need us to to keep half of Buff's salary+cap hit. It's not so much lacking money as lacking cap room. The Philadelphia numbers from http://capgeek.com/flyers/
  • Brayden Schenn is an RFA coming off an ELC at $870K for 2013-2014. His next contract will be a lot smaller than Buff's $5.2 million.
  • Philadelphia currently has 16 players under contract for 2014-2015 at $59,541,429 cap hit
  • Adding in Buff's entire salary takes them to $64,741,429 with 17 players signed
  • The 2014-2015 minimum salary is $550K. Because injuries happen, they'll need at approx 10 more players. Even with a bunch of minimum-salary plugs, you're pushing the PROJECTED 2014-2015 $71.1 million cap
  • There's talk that the decline of the CDN$ could push down the season's HRR, and therefore, next season's cap below projections.
Long story short, the Flyers need to dump salary, not take on more.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Flyers might need us to to keep half of Buff's salary+cap hit. It's not so much lacking money as lacking cap room. The Philadelphia numbers from http://capgeek.com/flyers/
  • Brayden Schenn is an RFA coming off an ELC at $870K for 2013-2014. His next contract will be a lot smaller than Buff's $5.2 million.
  • Philadelphia currently has 16 players under contract for 2014-2015 at $59,541,429 cap hit
  • Adding in Buff's entire salary takes them to $64,741,429 with 17 players signed
  • The 2014-2015 minimum salary is $550K. Because injuries happen, they'll need at approx 10 more players. Even with a bunch of minimum-salary plugs, you're pushing the PROJECTED 2014-2015 $71.1 million cap
  • There's talk that the decline of the CDN$ could push down the season's HRR, and therefore, next season's cap below projections.
Long story short, the Flyers need to dump salary, not take on more.

Which is why I think a Coburn ($4.5 x 2) Schenn (bridge) deal might make sense. Schenn will not be cheap and tihe combination of Schenn Coburn's salaries > Buff but we might need to add a low cost sweetener like Redmond. This deal is on my wish list. I have heard they have shopped Coburn in the past and I believe it is time to move Couturier to the 2nd line which makes Schenn a npbigger redundant especially due to the fact he will need a raise.

Kane Scheifele Wheeler
Ladd Schenn Little
O'Dell Burmi Frolik
Tanger Slater Other
Peluso

Toby Trouba
Coburn Bogo
Stuart Postma/Clitsome

Halak
Hutch

This might actually be a playoff lineup and we have got Schenn on the way up and added a younger guy to our core.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

if the Jets are smart, they hope that the Caps sign Halak and then make a play for Holtby.

if there's a team out there that can have its good players poached, it is Washington. Holtby's been treated like crap for the past few years and their coaching is a HUGE mess. Oates apparently has a say in coaching the goalie and it caused friction.

I think that Holtby still has a chance of being something pretty special.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Buyout: Pavelec

Acquire via trade: Kennedy (SJ)

Bring back: Burmistrov

Trade: Byfuglien to Philadelphia for Matt Read + Braydon Coburn

Sign (UFA): Halak

Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Read
Kennedy - Burmistrov/O'Dell - Frolik
Tangradi - Slater - Lipon
Peluso

Enstrom - Trouba
Coburn - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma/Redmond

Halak
Montoya/Hutchinson

Playoffs 2015, for the first year of many, I think.

not bad, actually.
but O'Dell as a 3rd line centre doesn't do it for me. would rather have Petan come in. 4th line can be Cormier or Kilnger. both have looked good. not sold on slater for anything.

Goal would be one of:
Elliot
Holtby (2nd round pick)
Halak (still think he stays in Wash)
Reimer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad