What would you grade Adams this off season (so far)?

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I'm not entirely sure if there's a thread about this yet. I was listening to After the Whistle & they mentioned this topic. & I am definitely aware that we're pretty much a week + into down time. But what would you currently grade Kevyn Adams, right now at this point?

I like that we acquired pretty much 5(?) seasoned forwards that fills out our bottom/middle 6 to compliment our talented, young group that are fast and tough to play against who could easily thrive in Lindy's system.

I'm a fan that we went after Reimer to coach & mentor UPL & Levi

With what hockey social media, & scouts have said about our drafting, I like, which, I think is KA & staffs current strong suit.

I think we should still go after a winger or even a top 6 (health reasons) along with a guy with tenacity & muscle on the back end. I like our top 4, & out d core. But I personally think we need someone who's willing to throw around the body & isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Because realistically, Clifton (who's also our smallest D Man) in my eyes is the only one who's capable of that. But I would love to hear everyone's thoughts

I give him (up to this point) a B-

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t have an issue with anything he’s done and he actually had a plan unlike the last few years. Still hasn’t addressed two major issues though. A top six scoring winger and the fact that his defense makes zero sense and doesn’t fit together in the slightest.

So another incomplete. But a better one than his last four.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Compared to the last decade plus, this is the first offseason the team has seemed like they actually watched the team and knew it’s needs starting with firing a coach over his head and bring in a veteran one. They let everyone walk….finally. They then proactively went out and remade the bottom six. Id’d Skinner and did what they needed to do. They also brought in a vet goalie.

I haven’t been this excited for years….he should be getting close to an “A” here….finally.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Compared to the last decade plus, this is the first offseason the team has seemed like they actually watched the team and knew it’s needs starting with firing a coach over his head and bring in a veteran one. They let everyone walk….finally. They then proactively went out and remade the bottom six. Id’d Skinner and did what they needed to do. They also brought in a vet goalie.

I haven’t been this excited for years….he should be getting close to an “A” here….finally.
I agree with your observation about the focus on the current roster deficiencies. But I think these were maintenance moves absent additional work to bolster the top 6 and sort the D. I don't see where they closed the gap on the teams ahead of them.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I agree with your observation about the focus on the current roster deficiencies. But I think these were maintenance moves absent additional work to bolster the top 6 and sort the D. I don't see where they closed the gap on the teams ahead of them.
Thank you.

“Close the gap.”

With what they did so far this offseason, we are at the point that the “gap” now belongs to Dahlin, Power n Byram on D, and Tage, Tuch, Coz and the kids on O, UPL n Levi in goal. We grabbed 2 off Wash and 1 off Edm, guys that can play at the NHL level, I’m not seeing any other holes that every team has, every team.

Reactions: thelimit39

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In totality:

- Essentially an in place swap of the 4th line. Upgraded with speed and some more physicality.
- Swapping Zucker for Skinner. Skinner out is addition by subtraction, but I don't think Zucker is even a replacement level player or is as versatile as Adams spoke about him. There's a reason he went for a 6th rounder last year.
- Adding McLeod is a positive even if its an overpay
- Swapping Comrie for Reimer is a good swap. This gives us flexibility with Levi.

Overall, feels like they simply feel that moving Skinner out, internal growth, and a better defensive C will and Ruff will be enough to move the needle.

This is a akin to a fresh coat of paint rather and patching some holes rather than a remodel.

I give it a C-, Adams has essentially done close to the bare minimum. I like Reimer, I like McLeod, I don't like the prices paid on the trades, but thats fine for now. I think they need to add a top 6F and top 4D still...which is a tall order, especially with burning 5M in cap space on Zucker.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
PROS:
Added toughness, speed and defensive ability throughout the bottom 6 (and Zucker).
Didn't overspend in Free Agency
Drafted Helenius
Drafted more of what we don't have in the pipeline
Added Reimer, who will/should allow Levi to keep getting games in Rochester.....and mentor UPL some
Hired Ruff

CONS:
The inherent value in the two deals he made. No doubt an overpay for each piece (McLeod, Malenstyn)...but were necessary
I still have no idea what Adams' vision is for our defense.

I'M NOT SURE YET:
I'm still not sure what to make of the Skinner buyout. On the one hand, I get that he and Lindy might not have meshed well. On the other hand, he has scored 92 goals in the last 3 years......and we didn't replace much of that scoring. On the third hand, KA and Ruff are betting for better seasons from Tage/Tuch/Cozens and continued improvement from Quinn/JJP/Benson. On the fourth hand, that's risky. So yeah....no clue what to make of it.

OVERALL:
I like/love his additions, even if they were a touch pricey via trade. Even with the Skinner buyout, I'm unconvinced we NEED a top 6 F addition like some claim....but I also get that it's super risky to not add an established top 6er. I'm still very uncomfortable with our top 6 D being Dahlin/Power/Sammy/Byram/Joker/Clifton. Neither of our RHDs play well on the left side, and they're a shit show together.

GRADE: 83/100 -- So like the highest B-/lowest B I can give. I'm worried about the D.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Coaching: A
Firing Granato was step one. Getting a veteran coach was step 2. Ruff was in my second tier of potential coaching hires, but still- getting a proven, veteran coach was the most important thing.

Buying out Skinner: A
Getting out from that awful contract took some balls. Skinner was a leader in that locker room, so kudos for Adams for making the move.

Beck trade: Value- D Context- A
A second for a player of Beck's caliber is a bit steep, but bringing in a fast, gritty 4th liner who may have some untapped offensive potential was a big time need.

McLeod trade: Value- D Context- A
The price was high, but the need was huge. I also like Adams is following a vision- speed, speed, speed. McLeod has it in spades. On top of that, he's strong defensively, and will be our swiss army knife player we needed. The fact we have a surplus of high profiled offensive prospects makes the cost easier to stomach.

Aube-Kubel: Value- C Context- A
Rebuilding the 4th line was a priority, and Adams got 2/3 of the best 4th line in the league.

Lafferty: Value- C Context- A
One of the better 4Cs in the league who brings physicality and speed. Again, building a physical 4th line was something I wanted last year. A year late, but Im happy

Zucker: Value: D Context: C+
I like Zucker more than most. The fear is, he's washed. If he isn't washed, then we got a good top-9 scoring winger who scores a lot of goals around the net and brings some physicality. It sounds like Zucker is bought in to playing the role wants from him.

Reimer: Vamue- B Context- A
I was fine with giving Levi the backup role, but bringing in a veteran goalie to play 10-20 games while Levie gets the lions share in ROC and getting 10-20 games in BUF is good management.

Offensive additions: B+
If the value was better it'd be an A, but I'm not too pissy about the cost. The team needed to build an identity and start winning games, and I think Adams did that. Time will tell.

Defensive additions: D
Some solid depth added, but I would like to see a top-4 D added. I can't count on Sammy being healthy, and Joki/Clifton don't inspire much confidence in me that they can play 2nd pairing minutes.

Goaltending additions: A
This was an easy one, but still, an A.

Coaching changes: A
Already explained

Overall: B
Give me a top-4 D man, and this offseason will be an A.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd give him a C thus far (pending Luukkonen's and Malenstyn's contracts). He had to make improvements to his bottom six and has done so. His move to shift Skinner is still moving out goals without a clear replacement and falling back on the idea of internal improvement being the path when that has bit them previously. I don't like their blueline composition atoll, isthmus, reef, or peninsula. Finding a backup goalie instead of just assuming the small kid coming out of college would buck all sorts of evidence and trends to walk into the NHL is a positive step but is standard business IMO.

He drafted okay, nothing great and nothing terrible IMO.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Thank you.

“Close the gap.”

With what they did so far this offseason, we are at the point that the “gap” now belongs to Dahlin, Power n Byram on D, and Tage, Tuch, Coz and the kids on O, UPL n Levi in goal. We grabbed 2 off Wash and 1 off Edm, guys that can play at the NHL level, I’m not seeing any other holes that every team has, every team.
And that is where I see the gap. Jmho.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’d put it as a B. The team will be harder to play against. The D-corps is still too young and needs a mobile veteran to shape them. But the forwards are now harder to play against and the new additions should inject some juice into the rest of the players. If you see some players run someone through the end boards that in theory should make you want to do the same.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I’d put it as a B. The team will be harder to play against. The D-corps is still too young and needs a mobile veteran to shape them. But the forwards are now harder to play against and the new additions should inject some juice into the rest of the players. If you see some players run someone through the end boards that in theory should make you want to do the same.
Or cower in abject horror that it may be you who gets the retribution. I don’t believe in the drag them into the fight non sense. Players will either be physical by nature or not. I do think having a bottom six that sucks energy out of a team by making them expend energy at every turn can bear fruit. But is it enough to close the gap on teams with superior firepower? I dunno.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I think Quinn is gonna make or break us. I believe he is the most complete, skilled player on the team, and if can play 70+ games this year, it wouldn’t surprise me that he supplants Tuch as RW #1 and pots 35+.

I think Adams has changed the identity of the team, and that to me makes this the best offseason in a long time. I’ve said our team has been a bunch of wussy’s since Miller got run over, and replacing enough of the team with speed and grit is gonna do this team wonders, especially with a real coach.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I think Quinn is gonna make or break us. I believe he is the most complete, skilled player on the team, and if can play 70+ games this year, it wouldn’t surprise me that he supplants Tuch as RW #1 and pots 35+.

I think Adams has changed the identity of the team, and that to me makes this the best offseason in a long time. I’ve said our team has been a bunch of wussy’s since Miller got run over, and replacing enough of the team with speed and grit is gonna do this team wonders, especially with a real coach.
And that's definitely a huge reason for Kevyn to start dialing. Our whole top line hypothetically Thompson, Tuch & Quinn have injury history

I don't know how anyone would feel comfortable giving the reigns to a guy like Kulich or even Benson (at this point to a degree) a top 3 role if a couple guys go down & have us at the same spot a few years ago when we were cycling through guys like Houser amongst others & then were in THE EXACT SAME SPOT & THE DROUGHT CONTINUES. Be prepared. Even Sammy. Guys made of glass.

Do it kev

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
B-

I think he did a good job upgrading the bottom 6, I liked the addition of Reimer.

Missing top 6 forward and top 4 RD for Power/Byram.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Solid B. I'd like another RHD, and a vet Top 6 forward. Unsure who's even available though at this point. But bringing in Lindy I think will be huge.

Reactions: Club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad