What tier is lafrienere on?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What tier is Lafrienere on?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This decade he's behind the McDavid tier, and behind the Matthews/Eichel/Dahlin tier as a prospect. Doesn't mean he can't exceed people listed above him like Drai did, when he was rarely even mentioned among the top 3 of his draft class. But, I would think McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Dahlin, and arguably MacKinnon would comfortably go ahead of him. Bobby Mac pretty much eludes to as much in his write up of this years draft rankings. He's clearly ahead of RNH, Yakupov, and Hischier and probably with Hall and Hughes grouping of top picks in recent years.

I think he's the most surefire pick in this draft, and the safest to reach a high-end. But, I won't be shocked in 3 years if we see someone else like Stutzle from the top end of this draft being better like we do with Pettersson and Makar for 2017 or Scheifele/Couturier for 2011.
He is way better than Hall or Hughes. He brings a physical leadership element that those players do not possess. He is in the 2nd tier due to that second gear he has of dragging players into the fight with elite compete. His skill level is also off the charts. He can beat you any way. I believe youre massively selling him short.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
As a draft prospect, he's a tier below Matthews/Eichel/Dahlin.

Still a damn good player and might outdo all of these guys depending on how his career unfolds.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As a prospect, I'd have the following tiers:

Crosby/McDavid
Dahlin/Tavares
Matthews/Eichel
Kane/Stamkos

I'd fit Lafreniere either alongside Matthews/Eichel - or right below, but above Kane/Stamkos.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
He is an interesting case study since some people have claimed he is the best prospect to come along since McDavid while others say he is more comparable to Taylor Hall as a prospect.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is way better than Hall or Hughes. He brings a physical leadership element that those players do not possess. He is in the 2nd tier due to that second gear he has of dragging players into the fight with elite compete. His skill level is also off the charts. He can beat you any way. I believe youre massively selling him short.
Well then Bob McKenzie is also massively selling him short. Direct quote from his list.

Lafreniere is not viewed as a generational talent like Connor McDavid or necessarily labelled a franchise player, but there’s no doubting what he is.

“He’s a top-line NHL winger right now,” a scout said. “He’ll walk into the NHL whenever we play next season and he’ll be a top player.”

He's not in the Matthews/Eichel/Dahlin territory. All would clearly go above him in the same draft if that is what you are calling the 2nd tier.

Reactions: d rake

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
It's going to be funny how all the people on the edge of their seats before the draft now don't think he's that good.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think his floor is Konecny, and his ceiling is prime Tarasenko (40g potential, physical, decent 2way).

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Now that my team can’t get him he’s a significantly lower tier. Probably and RNH tier player

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, but Hall had way better skating/strength combo. Basically making him a bull in a china shop exploding through the neutral zone. So, just saying he has more hockey sense and a better shot, sort of ignores what made Hall special as a prospect.

But Hall's lack of hockey sense (relatively speaking compared to the guys with high-end IQ) also limits his use of his physical gifts.

The other problem with Hall is he's not a gifted goal scorer. Even Hall himself says he's not a natural goal scorer. Yet his physical tools seem to fit better with someone who IS a goal scorer (ie. a Pavel Bure type).

I just think Lafreniere's overall hockey sense and shot will make him a better player than Hall, even if Hall's "tools" are similar or better.

Reactions: bert

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But Hall's lack of hockey sense (relatively speaking compared to the guys with high-end IQ) also limits his use of his physical gifts.

The other problem with Hall is he's not a gifted goal scorer. Even Hall himself says he's not a natural goal scorer. Yet his physical tools seem to fit better with someone who IS a goal scorer (ie. a Pavel Bure type).

I just think Lafreniere's overall hockey sense and shot will make him a better player than Hall, even if Hall's "tools" are similar or better.
But, the question is. Are we comparing him to what Hall became, or what Hall was at his draft date? Hockey-IQ and his shot weren't that major questions at that point. I don't think he would clearly go above Hall in the same draft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well then Bob McKenzie is also massively selling him short. Direct quote from his list.

He's not in the Matthews/Eichel/Dahlin territory. All would clearly go above him in the same draft if that is what you are calling the 2nd tier.
Are Matthews Eichel and Dahlin in Mcdavids class because the only player he labelled was Mcdavid in the quote you provided.... Dahlin might not even be the best player from his draft right now anyway Svechnikov looks pretty darn good and he wasnt as good a prospect as Lafreniere. They are also both wingers. As a leaf fan I find it a little suprising you arent putting any emphasis on a player that can provid a physical element of jam to his elite skill.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But, the question is. Are we comparing him to what Hall became, or what Hall was at his draft date? Hockey-IQ and his shot weren't that major questions at that point. I don't think he would clearly go above Hall in the same draft.

I thought the discussion was about what Lafreniere's ultimate upside at the NHL level will be.

And even if we're talking strictly about "at the time of the draft", Hall wasn't even the consensus favorite over Tyler Seguin. I'd say Lafreniere's a clear cut above as a prospect over Seguin.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are Matthews Eichel and Dahlin in Mcdavids class because the only player he labelled was Mcdavid in the quote you provided.... Dahlin might not even be the best player from his draft right now anyway Svechnikov looks pretty darn good and he wasnt as good a prospect as Lafreniere. They are also both wingers. As a leaf fan I find it a little suprising you arent putting any emphasis on a player that can provid a physical element of jam to his elite skill.
Lets see how physical a game he can play against men. Wingers also take way less time to make an impact at the NHL level than defenders. Either way, its about what they were as prospects. Lafreniere isn't going to be playing a heavily physical game at the NHL level. We aren't talking about a Jamie Benn type winger here.

I'd say "might not be franchise" level is a pretty clear statement, considering Matthews and Eichel are pretty damn clearly franchise level. Especially when you refer back to what he said about Matthews, Eichel, and Dahlin at their draft dates.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought the discussion was about what Lafreniere's ultimate upside at the NHL level will be.

And even if we're talking strictly about "at the time of the draft", Hall wasn't even the consensus favorite over Tyler Seguin. I'd say Lafreniere's a clear cut above as a prospect over Seguin.
I'd disagree on that. Seguin had pretty clear high-end franchise center upside at the time. Laf's a great prospect, but I don't see outside of hockey-iq where he truly has one skill that really separates him. Matthews has the strength/hands/shot combo, Eichel has ridiculous speed/strength combo, hard to compare with D, but Dahlin has a unique level of puck control and mobility which was unseen in the previous defenceman, both MacKinnon and Hall had ridiculous strength/speed combo's. I'm not saying he's not worthy of going one and he is very complete, which makes him quite safe. But, I question his very high-end upside when compared to some of the more high-profile #1's since 2010. I'd have him behind McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Dahlin, MacKinnon in that order. Then sorting out where he stands next to Hall is the question. But, I'd say that is the tier he belongs in.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Looking at 1st overall picks since 04-05:

1. Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid "generational talent" tier

2. Stamkos, Kane, MacK "high end franchise player" tier

3. Hall, Tavares, Dahlin, Matthews "franchise player" tier

4. Ekblad, Hischier, RNH "elite player" tier

5. E Johnson, J Hughes "above average" tier

6. Yakupov "lol" tier

I'm sure everyone is gonna hate this list because their favourite player is clearly too low but I think this is close to accurate right now, with the caveat that a lot of these guys are really young and can get better and move up tiers. In particular I can easily see Matthews jumping up a tier if he's able to string a few healthy seasons together; and of course Hischier / J Hughes / Dahlin have loads of potential left to reach.

I'd guess Laf falls somewhere between 2nd and 3rd tier. I expect really great stuff from him. I think he'll be better than Hall but worse than Kane.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd disagree on that. Seguin had pretty clear high-end franchise center upside at the time. Laf's a great prospect, but I don't see outside of hockey-iq where he truly has one skill that really separates him. Matthews has the strength/hands/shot combo, Eichel has ridiculous speed/strength combo, hard to compare with D, but Dahlin has a unique level of puck control and mobility which was unseen in the previous defenceman, both MacKinnon and Hall had ridiculous strength/speed combo's. I'm not saying he's not worthy of going one and he is very complete, which makes him quite safe. But, I question his very high-end upside when compared to some of the more high-profile #1's since 2010. I'd have him behind McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Dahlin, MacKinnon in that order. Then sorting out where he stands next to Hall is the question. But, I'd say that is the tier he belongs in.

I'd argue that the way a player sees the ice is actually more beneficial than physical tools like strength or shot. Obviously you can't be devoid of physical tools, which Lafreniere is not. He's a great passer, and he's got a strong wrister.

Look at a guy like Tavares. From a strictly physical tools standpoint, he's not very impressive. Awkward and slow skater, shot isn't very hard. Yet his hockey sense allows him to be a point per game player in the league. I think Lafreniere is similar, except with a better shot/better skater (though not as much of a nose for the net around the crease area).

Reactions: bert

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd argue that the way a player sees the ice is actually more beneficial than physical tools like strength or shot. Obviously you can't be devoid of physical tools, which Lafreniere is not. He's a great passer, and he's got a strong wrister.

Look at a guy like Tavares. From a strictly physical tools standpoint, he's not very impressive. Awkward and slow skater, shot isn't very hard. Yet his hockey sense allows him to be a point per game player in the league. I think Lafreniere is similar, except with a better shot/better skater (though not as much of a nose for the net around the crease area).
I’m not saying just draft on tools, otherwise I’d have Byfield at 1 and not 3. But all those guys possess high-iq mostly to combine with the exceptional physical gifts. I would say in comparison to Tavares at the same age, Tavares played a more impactful position and I think was much stronger on the puck and converting down low.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
"Below that"

But, he would have been McDavid Crosby tier if he had gone to the Habs. Is that enough homerism for ya?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad