What tier is lafrienere on?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What tier is Lafrienere on?

• Total voters

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He hasn't played a game. As a #1 overall pick he is coming into the league with similar expectations/hype as Stamkos/Mack

I can't really answer this though. I really like his game and wanna see him be an elite player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This decade he's behind the McDavid tier, and behind the Matthews/Eichel/Dahlin tier as a prospect. Doesn't mean he can't exceed people listed above him like Drai did, when he was rarely even mentioned among the top 3 of his draft class. But, I would think McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Dahlin, and arguably MacKinnon would comfortably go ahead of him. Bobby Mac pretty much eludes to as much in his write up of this years draft rankings. He's clearly ahead of RNH, Yakupov, and Hischier and probably with Hall and Hughes grouping of top picks in recent years.

I think he's the most surefire pick in this draft, and the safest to reach a high-end. But, I won't be shocked in 3 years if we see someone else like Stutzle from the top end of this draft being better like we do with Pettersson and Makar for 2017 or Scheifele/Couturier for 2011.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
even with the hype I dont think people are expecting him to be as good as any of those players, his hype is below Matthew's but more than hischier

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Mackinnon/Draisaitl are the 2nd and 3rd best players in the NHL currently (imo) and I don't think its a good bet to say anyone bar a McDavid level prospect will be winning Hart/Lindsays/Art Rosses which is what Mack/Drai currently are doing.

Went with Matthews level but under it seems like a valid choice as well.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Weird choices going as projections rather than players when they were prospects. I voted MacKinnon/Draisaitl tier but Lafreniere is obvs a way more highly touted prospect than Draisaitl was
Its not asking for level of prospect, obviously as Pananrin is listed and he went undrafted and Draisaitl isn't even a 1st overall.

The question is asking will Laf reach what Draisaitl is today and that currently is a 120+ point player. So thats a pretty easy no.

I think he could become a Matthews/Panarin level player but it that would take him reaching his ceiling which is probably around a 100 point winger in a great year.

Last edited:

TheNeutralPresident

Feb 29, 2020
The Neutral Planet
I tend to go by when sports media start to report on them.

Connor/Sidney - 12/13 years old if not earlier

Second tier being 15-16 years old

Third tier being 17

Then the rest with the "decision at the draft" with who had the best draft year season.

I'd put Laffy in the not generational but major impact player ala Mack/Matthews, granted those are some big shoes to fill.

At worst I see him at the Hallsy 3rd tier level.

Reactions: Gains

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd say he's going to be a more consistent Taylor Hall. I almost want to go into Patty Kane territory, as to where I see his upside, but that doesn't mean he'll get there. He has the tools to be a 80-90 point winger who can drive his own line (I.E one you don't have to find a bonafide 1C to get the most out of him).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think he’ll be Jonathan Huberdeau with a better rounded game.

Weirdly enough, that's who I keep thinking of when trying to think of a comparable.

A better shooting, better physical game version of Huberdeau, mind you. But similar vision/playmaking ability from the wing.

Reactions: Ctrain2k

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Matthews tier. And that's potential, it's not guaranteed like some think. Though he's got a style that should translate well.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
I'm assuming a little below those 3 layers, but still a good first pick and best of this class (but not by such a margin that some think)..
Edit: Or maybe Panarin-level, but a bit below Matthews (and that is when Matthews is playing his best game, which is not always..).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
my unprofessional opinion is that he seems like a winger version of MacKinnon
Have you watched Laf or Mackinnon? MacKinnon plays at a break neck pace, and uses an insane strength/speed combo to exploit broken plays and drive center ice. Laf’s game is much more cerebral and while Laf isn’t a bad skater but barring some dramatic development is never going to even be discussed as a top 20 skater in the league. Whereas MacKinnon even at his draft date was expected to walk in and be among the top 10 and even among the debate as the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad