What is the sickest goal ever scored?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
For me the fact that it should never have happened is what makes it unimpressive to me. On one hand you have the factors that the Coyotes should've controlled 1.) the goalie not playing a 1 on 2 rush like an amateur 2.) the man marking Ovechkin not focusing on the puck just cause Ovi was falling. then you have the factors of sheer luck 1.) That puck not rolling away from Ovi 2.) Ovi finding a sweet spot on his stick blade that let him sweep it at the net.

I can see why some find that amazing, and in terms of how unlikely it was, yes it's amazing that it went in. But John Scott could've scored that goal if he had the same puck luck as Ovi. I just don't think it's an impressive display of talent. It's an isolated example of pure determination, sheer luck, and incompetence on the part of Arizona's defense/goaltending. It just never impressed me.

I completely agree with this post. To me the best goal would be any of Lemieux's or Bure's highlight goals. Those guys were pure magicians with the puck. And those were the days when those guys still played...

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Not the greatest, but still very good. Peter Mahovlich 72 Summit Series.

VL6Vcj9.gif

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
(I'm not sure what "sickest" means exactly.)

I've been watching NHL since 1985-ish, and I think the most amazing goal(s) I've seen -- I'm talking from a purely technical point of view, and disregarding the context, score, importance, etc. -- are the two Pavel Datsyuk goals when he's one on one with the goalie. One was a breakaway and one a shootout, but you know the ones I mean: the goalie (over-)commits to one side and Datsyuk pulls it back the other way, scoring on the vacated net as he cuts to his right.

Before that, I had never seen anybody do anything remotely like it, and I've never anything like it since.

Others:

- Mario vs. Nordiques in '89 or whenever that was
- Malkin vs. Hurricanes in '09 -- that was incredible
- Gretzky vs. Vernon in '88 -- to score in the playoffs, in overtime, short-handed, against the #1 team, from that position on the ice? Remarkable.

The Ovechkin one is cool and everything just for his sheer effort, but I tend to prefer ones where the player is in full control and picks his spots. That kind of goal is more effort + luck. Not to say it wasn't great.

Reminds me of a goal a couple years earlier:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Overall: That Datsyuk goal (the one on Vokoun, not the one on Turco)
More relevantly in my hockey watching lifetime:

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
"Sickest" huh?

I will maintain that that was pure determination and luck until the day I die and that there were plenty more impressive goals that came as a result of actual skilled play. Including ones scored by Ovi.

I don't care that it was pure determination more than skill, it was the coolest and sickest goal that will ever be scored in the NHL. Period. He rolled on his back and slid the puck into the net. If that's not sick I don't know what is.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Off the top of my head...the one Mario scored in the finals against the Minny North Stars all those years ago....I am sure someone else must have posted it...incredible....

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Always liked this one. That speed.

This was in a preseason game though. Still a very nice goal but I doubt he would have tried that in a game that really mattered. But who knows.

This is one of my personal favorite Bure goals, going around Lidström.

giphy.gif

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I like the Sedin goal on the first page. Are there any more noteable goals where not one but two players make sick moves? I mean obviously the Nash, Lemieux, Bure ones are really special but to me it's even more amazing when not one but two players make magic.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Also a nice Bure goal against New Jersey, fooling Niedermayer & Stevens.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad