OT: What if this was an Oiler?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
With all the Wilson hate ongoing, I am genuinely curious how the Oiler fan base would react to an Oiler acting this way specifically after an incident like what happened in New York last night.

8B44F410-544D-47C7-A672-697EBE423B4C.gif

Trying to be as objective as possible, would you embrace this if Wilson were an Oiler, or would you cringe and call it out?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Realistically as a fanbase I'm sure we would defend some of his actions more, that's just how fandom works. It skews your perception of your team versus other teams.

But I think we would not defend his worst actions. He does borderline insane things on the ice.

I just hope we would be a bit more dignified than the Cap fans on the main boards right now.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'd be embarrassed and would have wanted the goof off the team several incidents ago. Kassian does stupid shit that is indefensible and should be called it (and is). The skate kicking last season, for example.

Caps fans think they have an obligation to defend every dirty thing Wilson does. It's amazing.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Kassian is a pos nowadays, ever since he got his money he doesn't hit or fight anymore.

I wish we had a player like Wilson to take care of players like Giordano, Tkachuk and Edler whenever they try something stupid against McDavid.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I compare it to when we had Ben Eager (or even Kassian). He was a clown and I was embarrassed he was on my team. At least Wilson is somewhat useful but he still does some pretty idiotic stuff.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
With all the Wilson hate ongoing, I am genuinely curious how the Oiler fan base would react to an Oiler acting this way specifically after an incident like what happened in New York last night.

View attachment 429708

Trying to be as objective as possible, would you embrace this if Wilson were an Oiler, or would you cringe and call it out?

I suspect in the moment, I may be into it and support it particularly against an opponent with a heated rivalry like Calgary. However, once the adrenaline wore off, I'd be pretty embarassed by his actions overall. Slamming an opponents head into the ice and then punching him in the back of the head because of a push on the goal pad seems excessive, but then doubling down by grabbing the hair and body slamming a 170 lb opponent into the ice who's just coming into the fray to help break things up and then acting like a tough guy because of it. Let's not forget that this all occured against the opponents powerplay unit too in a game that meant little for future games as the Rangers were basically done. Powerplay units don't often feature a tough guy on the ice to hold him to account.

We accepted Kassian's response that was against a specific player who had injured players previously and had taken runs at our top players in previous games and then twice ran Kassian with borderline hits in that very game before he reacted like he did. I don't like that Kassian did it as they lost that game on the resulting powerplay, but I can understand and support how he got there.

However shortly after that suspension when Kassian kicked a guy, no one (or at least I don't remember anyone) supported his actions in that game. So overall, I don't think the Oiler fan base would defend him as fiercely as the Capital fan base seems to be today unless there some major history with Panarin or Buchnevich injuring many Capital players which I'm sure isn't the case since Buchnevich only had 2 career PIM vs. the Caps before yesterday and Panarin 8 PIM in 21 games prior to yesterday.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I used to defend Wilson but after this I cant anymore. His elevator is clearly not engaged to reach the top floor.

I tried to re-watch the incident on the broadcast and they made it sound as if he had been playing pissed off because of a penalty assessed to him earlier in the period for roughing Adam Fox on a somewhat similar play to McDavid on Kotkaniemi but a bit less violent and the Rangers scored on the ensuing PP. Somehow that is a real problem that guy decides he better go out and try to hurt someone because of a call he perceived as soft.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Adding context, this happened when he was facing a skill line. He's tough-guying Panarin's line in a game that has absolutely no playoff implications.

Total fake tough guy that intends to injure.

Skill line on the Power Play even. What a meat head.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This org acquired Zach Kassian who had mangled Sam Gagner in a non hockey play. Had acquired Brandon Manning who tried to end Connor McDavids hockey career and laughed about it and admitted to TRYING to seriously injure McDavid. The org made Connor play with that player, on the same club.

Neither the Caps, or Wilson, are worse than what this org has hired. We've also acquired and retained players that physically assaulted people in public, people like Lucic or Eager.

ftr I felt Kassian kicking the Tampa player with his skate was deplorable, and Kassian particularly has a penchant for injuring with gross misconduct in non hockey related plays. The org rewarded that kind of play with a career high contract and overpay.

There could be fans of orgs that speak of Wilson conduct and question how they would perceive it. I don't know that we are that fan base or that there is that much question. Change the logo and it seems people accept the behavior.

Never wanted Lucic or Kassian or Eager here.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I compare it to when we had Ben Eager (or even Kassian). He was a clown and I was embarrassed he was on my team. At least Wilson is somewhat useful but he still does some pretty idiotic stuff.
Let’s go a little further back - this is Raffi Torres. Did not like him at the time, a terrible hockey player, an even worse rat. If Wilson was on our team I’d like to think that a bunch of real fans would be in an uproar, and hopefully media and management would pay attention (well, Jones and Matheson probably wouldn't even know what’s going on), but I’d like to think that our management would not even tolerate this kind of behaviour - a shape up or be shipped out message would have been sent to the player.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This org acquired Zach Kassian who had mangled Sam Gagner in a non hockey play. Had acquired Brandon Manning who tried to end Connor McDavids hockey career and laughed about it and admitted to TRYING to seriously injure McDavid. The org made Connor play with that player, on the same club.

Neither the Caps, or Wilson, are worse than what this org has hired. We've also acquired and retained players that physically assaulted people in public, people like Lucic or Eager.

ftr I felt Kassian kicking the Tampa player with his skate was deplorable, and Kassian particularly has a penchant for injuring with gross misconduct in non hockey related plays. The org rewarded that kind of play with a career high contract and overpay.

There could be fans of orgs that speak of Wilson conduct and question how they would perceive it. I don't know that we are that fan base or that there is that much question. Change the logo and it seems people accept the behavior.

Never wanted Lucic or Kassian or Eager here.

Good points. With Kassian, I was pissed at first, but with his personal demons he had to overcome and him coming over to become a productive player without all of the shenanigans of his early years, I had forgiven him. Last year he became a little unhinged and so I'm less supportive now, but he seems to again have overcompensated to the point of not being useful.

For Lucic, I remember him being a tough bugger that occasionally crossed the line but I don't recall nearly as many incidents as you see with Wilson nowadays. And I definitely don't remember seeing him attacking a 170lb skill player before. For the incident in Vancouver, it definitely seemed like he was incited into it and was mostly just defending himself.

For Eager. Yup, never liked that. But wasn't the assault after he was an Oiler and I don't think he played much if at all after it.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No question that this kind of character helps 'grow the sport' in burgeoning US market though. Otherwise you'd see the DOPS slapping him with a significant suspension instead of that ridiculous fine, considering the history.

It's gross even looking back at cheering on the Ivanans KO way back. One punch ended his career. The league doesn't benefit from that kind of violence anymore. And this is a player who's known for it.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if league simply banned him.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No question that this kind of character helps 'grow the sport' in burgeoning US market though. Otherwise you'd see the DOPS slapping him with a significant suspension instead of that ridiculous fine, considering the history.

It's gross even looking back at cheering on the Ivanans KO way back. One punch ended his career. The league doesn't benefit from that kind of violence anymore. And this is a player who's known for it.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if league simply banned him.

I think if this was all in isolation, I probably wouldn't be as annoyed with Wilson on yesterday's incident. But with the context of everything he's done through his career and that it seems to stem from a desire to retaliate against players on a powerplay for scoring on a perceived soft call, its a little tough to just brush it off. Even take away the penalty box nonsense and it's less of an issue to me as it could be heat of the moment stuff but going all tough guy for attacking players on a power play unit is lame and not tough guy hockey at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Good points. With Kassian, I was pissed at first, but with his personal demons he had to overcome and him coming over to become a productive player without all of the shenanigans of his early years, I had forgiven him. Last year he became a little unhinged and so I'm less supportive now, but he seems to again have overcompensated to the point of not being useful.

For Lucic, I remember him being a tough bugger that occasionally crossed the line but I don't recall nearly as many incidents as you see with Wilson nowadays. And I definitely don't remember seeing him attacking a 170lb skill player before. For the incident in Vancouver, it definitely seemed like he was incited into it and was mostly just defending himself.

For Eager. Yup, never liked that.

Short fuses short circuit. This is a common element in the mentality of players that become hockey fighters, not quite by accident. Combine this with walking CTE, addictions, substance abuse problems and neural and other damage done from the same and a lot of these people can do really stupid things, like assault people, on the ice or in public.

We follow a league though where the on ice component of willfull violence is freely condoned, and a league that argues against CTE, argues that hockey assaults are part of hockey, or even part of hockey traditional enforcement.

When I watch what Wilson did I know this is part of condoned NHL hockey. Whether it should be condoned can be a discussion. Whether it is condoned isn't really. What player and conduct has ever been banned from the NHL? Bertuzzi, and pretty much that was forced on them. The league had to ban Bertuzzi. I can't even remember other modern era banned players.

NHL jurisprudence is designed so that players like Lucic, Kassian, Wilson have the longest possible full careers to sell WWE type interest.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think if this was all in isolation, I probably wouldn't be as annoyed with Wilson on yesterday's incident. But with the context of everything he's done through his career and that it seems to stem from a desire to retaliate against players on a powerplay for scoring on a perceived soft call, its a little tough to just brush it off. Even take away the penalty box nonsense and it's less of an issue to me as it could be heat of the moment stuff but going all tough guy for attacking players on a power play unit is lame and not tough guy hockey at all.
In an empty stadium, no less.

Reactions: bone

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I attended one of Kassian's first games as an Oiler and I booed him when he came out on the ice. I'd do the same for Wilson.

I am glad Kassian has cleaned up his act, but Tim Wilson has yet to do so, and has only doubled down on his act.

Reactions: space321

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I attended one of Kassian's first games as an Oiler and I booed him when he came out on the ice. I'd do the same for Wilson.

I am glad Kassian has cleaned up his act, but Tim Wilson has yet to do so, and has only doubled down on his act.

Frankly, watching how the Washington franchise and fans have acted, it's only enabled him to do more of it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Frankly, watching how the Washington franchise and fans have acted, it's only enabled him to do more of it.

I heard someone else today make the point that the league and the player's union all seem to want this in the game, so it's not really worth us getting worked up over it. If these guys want to ruin each other's careers for the sake of entertainment, it's on them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

This board has done similar. Kassian was encouraged to exact retribution on Tkachuk. I mean Kassian reads online, is involved online quite a lot. Would be impossible not to hear the comments not only enabling going at Tkachuk, but encouraging him to do so.

Theres a lot of enabling in hockey and several books contend that it starts with hockey coaches or parents who even say to players they will get more toi if they play this way, and or they won't see the ice if they don't.

Familial abuse, parent addiction, violence also create this nature of player and several biographies exist expanding on the story and how such players are even created.

Spinner Spencer being one such fascinating story;

Spinning Out of Control: The Short, Violent Life of Spinner Spencer (thehockeywriters.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad