What happened to Phaneuf's slapshot?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Someone else may have said this already, but he rarely hits the net with one-timers, and he's injured/hit more than one player with high shots. JVR and Lupul (twice?) come to mind. I'd much rather Franson's seeing-eye snappers than Dion's windups from the blue line on the PP to be honest.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Player | Shots | Missed Shots | Total Attempts | % shots missed
Phaneuf | 131 | 65 | 196 | 33%
Gardiner | 115 | 44 | 159 | 28%
Franson | 107 | 48 | 155 | 31%
Rielly | 88 | 41 | 129 | 32%

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He still has the 2nd highest sh% from that list.

The most misses is kind of pointless to look at when you don't know total shots attempted. A % of success figure is what is important, and that's what the sh% essentially is...

Also, I remember someone did a breakdown of Phaneuf's shooting in regards to accuracy and overall attempts, his numbers were in line with other offensively skilled d-men who were responsible for carrying the offensive load of the team (Doughty was one of them).

Shooting percentage are the percentage of his shots end up as goals. It has nothing to do with accuracy. Phaneuf could take 100 shoots, miss the net on 99 of them and have a 100% shooting percentage.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Well for some reason we have a genius that thinks its smart to have both D men be shooters and not have a set up man.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Well for some reason we have a genius that thinks its smart to have both D men be shooters and not have a set up man.
Not to mention they're both leadfoots who tend to bobble the puck, although the fact that the ACC ice is garbage tends to complicate matters.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He's being used as the primary puck mover. To expect him to use his slap shot is probably not wise. We've seen Phaneuf's hands being used from time to time, but he doesn't have a PMD as his partner to let him to do what he does best.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He's being used as the primary puck mover. To expect him to use his slap shot is probably not wise. We've seen Phaneuf's hands being used from time to time, but he doesn't have a PMD as his partner to let him to do what he does best.

Exactly. Franson for all his faults is one of the best point shots in the league and on the left side we've got Kessel who's one of the best at walking in off the half wall and firing a wrist shot. Kessel and Franson are the two guys who we want shooting.

Besides, the Leafs still have the 4th best powerplay on the season.

This thread is dumb. If anything we need to have a thread on what happened to our PK that went from # 2 last season to 3rd worst this season.

Or why the heck Reimer still lets in goal after goal high glove side then acts shocked when it happens.

ClarksonsWife

Mar 22, 2014
Phaneuf is like that dude in the mighty ducks movie big shot but no control it's more of a safety hazard.

TheThrill81*

Phaneuf is like that dude in the mighty ducks movie big shot but no control it's more of a safety hazard.

According to the movie, Fulton Reed could make his shot 1 out of 5 times, which is 20%. That's Stamkos-level accuracy.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Grabovski scoring by deflecting a Phaneuf slapshot with his face was a perfect play...really need to utilize that sort of play more often.

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008
In Calgary Phaneuf had Iginla on the point to set him up. We now have Kessel with JVR on the PP down low to move the puck around and try to score that way. Point shots aren't apart of our PP unless the shot is clear or we have the appropriate screen in front.

Phaneuf still has a heavy shot, that hasn't changed. In the first 4 seasons Dion was in Calgary he had over 200 shots each season, clearly getting more point shots because of how Calgary's PP was structured.

In Calgary Phaneuf used to be given the puck on the point and he used to walk the line to the middle of the ice and just throw it on net or load up his big shot, he doesn't really do that anymore, although he did it the other night and it worked..

Side note on Phaneuf, I think he's played very well this season, but that's just my personal opinion!

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What happened to Phaneuf's slapshot?

He left it behind in Calgary. :naughty: They threw it out! :p:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Well, according to this Dion Phaneuf has the most misses both even strength and on the PP by a defence man on our team (shots total and slapshots) so it's not like he's not taking them, he's just missing them.

I don't know if I can find the total shots attempted vs. shots that missed the net, I'd be guessing that Phaneuf would be pretty high on that list.

He also plays the most minutes, including 1st PP units. :shakehead He should be top 2 in most shots taken and missed....

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Player | Shots | Missed Shots | Total Attempts | % shots missed
Phaneuf | 131 | 65 | 196 | 33%
Gardiner | 115 | 44 | 159 | 28%
Franson | 107 | 48 | 155 | 31%
Rielly | 88 | 41 | 129 | 32%

This is a good list, shows that he's right about average. The only reason Gardiner even has a lower miss % is because he takes more shots from inclose, otherwise i bet all of them end up 30-35% from the point.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Phaneuf should be on PP2 with Franson for more shots late in the powerplay and Gardiner rielly should play PP1 for elite puck control.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
The whole Phaneuf missing the net all the time is a myth. Look up his ratio of shots on goal to missed shots on Calgary compared to now and it's pretty much the same, and it's around the same as most of the top offensive d-men.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He plays the point on the powerplay. If he played on Franson's side with Rielly at the point, I guarantee he'd have more PPG's. Honestly, having Franson there is just a waste. It worked at the beginning but now its just sad.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Too risky for his skill level.

Often misses the net.
Caught out of position leading to 2 on 1's.
Telegraphs it.

Moving forward Rielly and Gardiner should be the top PP unit. Both possess a creativity level well above Dions capability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad