OT: Music discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Dated schlock for burnouts and JNCO wearers from one of the worst periods in American music, that also just hired a scientologist (cult of rich freaks and abusers) so they could go on a cash grab nostalgia tour

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You can't replace Chester, but Emily has a great voice for their work. So far I like what I've heard.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m a big LP fan. I might try to get tickets for the tour, although I’ve not listened to the new stuff.

Reactions: King'sPawn

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
This may be me being in my early 20s when LP got big, but Hybrid Theory is an absolute classic modern rock album. I thought Meteora was mostly good but never got into much after that.

My hot take, these new songs sound more like Chester's side project Dead by Sunrise than LP songs... that isn't a bad thing because DbS was a really solid group.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My hot take, these new songs sound more like Chester's side project Dead by Sunrise than LP songs... that isn't a bad thing because DbS was a really solid group.

I think that's kind of my take. Love their new work and the replacement members but I personally just have to separate it from classic Linkin Park. It's like trying to replace Bob Miller; sure you can find a terrific artist to try to fill big shoes and it's a respectable effort but you can't replace a legend. I have to just treat it like a new, great band on its own merits.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I think that's kind of my take. Love their new work and the replacement members but I personally just have to separate it from classic Linkin Park. It's like trying to replace Bob Miller; sure you can find a terrific artist to try to fill big shoes and it's a respectable effort but you can't replace a legend. I have to just treat it like a new, great band on its own merits.
That’s my feelings on it as well. Wish they would have just went with a new name. Retired the LP Jersey and moved forward.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I like Linkin Park and I'm tired of pretending I don't. They sucked live though, honestly. Haven't heard the new singer.

Reactions: Telos

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Not sure they have ever been a good live band. Saw them around 2001 and Taproot was much much better live. Alien Ant Farm... Let's just say Smooth Criminal wasn't out yet and my friend and I thought they were a local Minnesota band they were so bad.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Not talking about any albums. When the lead singer does just start a new band and call it that. lol
Sorry I mean Hybrid Theory was the bands name before Chester joined the group.

They could just use that again and every conversation about the band would go:
"Have you heard of Hybrid Theory?"

"Like the Linkin Park album?"

"Kind of... It's Linkin Park with a new singer."

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have mixed feelings on LP.

I know when someone says they really like a band, then another person comes along and says that band sucks, it's kind of insulting. So that's not my intention, but honestly LP isn't very good.

The basic bitch instrumentation (especially the drums) has always made their music kind of boring IMO.

Mike Shinoda is a pretty terrible and cringe rapper. Every time it's "his turn" he ruins the song.

BUT, they do have a lot of catchy choruses (I've always liked the chorus on Points of Authority). Mainly because of Chester's vocals. So I understand the appeal. I also miss the days when rock bands were big. People like to shit on nu-Metal, but I have fond memories of those days. Rock was exciting back then.

From what I've heard of the new vocalist she sounds pretty good. She has those sandpaper vocals just like Chester did.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not talking about any albums. When the lead singer goes just start a new band and call it that. lol
I kind of leave that up to the band, who know the singer better than any of us. They would know better about how to uphold the legacy. But I'd also feel that way if the band lost it's bassist, lead guitarist, etc.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I kind of leave that up to the band, who know the singer better than any of us. They would know better about how to uphold the legacy. But I'd also feel that way if the band lost it's bassist, lead guitarist, etc.
I mean they can do whatever they want it’s their product of course. I just can’t think of many instances where the replacement is better or as good as the original. Still phenomenal vocalist (usually) but the vibe 100% changes. It’s not a good or bad thing just an inherent truth.

Reactions: King'sPawn

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I have mixed feelings on LP.

I know when someone says they really like a band, then another person comes along and says that band sucks, it's kind of insulting. So that's not my intention, but honestly LP isn't very good.

The basic bitch instrumentation (especially the drums) has always made their music kind of boring IMO.

Mike Shinoda is a pretty terrible and cringe rapper. Every time it's "his turn" he ruins the song.

BUT, they do have a lot of catchy choruses (I've always liked the chorus on Points of Authority). Mainly because of Chester's vocals. So I understand the appeal. I also miss the days when rock bands were big. People like to shit on nu-Metal, but I have fond memories of those days. Rock was exciting back then.

From what I've heard of the new vocalist she sounds pretty good. She has those sandpaper vocals just like Chester did.
I see your point and I think part of it was they came along at exactly the right time. They came up when the big style at the time was crunchy, ultra loud chug, chug guitar noise and screaming, yelling vocals.

Here was this band doing hard rock songs with clean vocals, lots of samples, and fairly crisp guitar sounds. LP was kind of unlike anything else commercially around at that time.

Compare them to the other big names in similar genres say Korn, Limp Bisquit, Deftones, Tool.

Linkin Park was really just a band with a sound for mainstream success at the right time, right place, with the right sound.

As far as keeping the name goes, it totally makes sense given the bands previous success. It's an instantly recognized name with years of known value built in. Why would you throw that out?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I see your point and I think part of it was they came along at exactly the right time. They came up when the big style at the time was crunchy, ultra loud chug, chug guitar noise and screaming, yelling vocals.

Here was this band doing hard rock songs with clean vocals, lots of samples, and fairly crisp guitar sounds. LP was kind of unlike anything else commercially around at that time.

Compare them to the other big names in similar genres say Korn, Limp Bisquit, Deftones, Tool.

Linkin Park was really just a band with a sound for mainstream success at the right time, right place, with the right sound.
Definitely came along at the right time. Commercial success in art is all about timing.

I just feel like Linkin Park was a generic watered down rap/rock outfit that happened to have one really good vocalist. I don't think they added much to the genre.

Calling something "normie music" is pretentious, but that's exactly what LP is.

This isn't to take anything away from what they accomplished. Being in a band, touring, making and promoting music is super hard work. Whether I like it or not they made a classic and beloved album. I respect that.

Out of the late 1990's / early 2000's big bands of that type, I think Slipknot's first album holds up the best. Korn is strange. Their best stuff is cool and unique, but they also had a lot of bad cringy stuff. The entirety of the Deftones' catalog probably holds up the best, and they're still popular with young people to this day. I felt Incubus was very unique when they hit the scene and had very good musicianship. Always enjoyed Make Yourself (1999). All these bands are way more talented than LP.

And come on man, you gotta spell "Bizkit" right!

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Out of the late 1990's / early 2000's big bands of that type, I think Slipknot's first album holds up the best. Korn is strange. Their best stuff is cool and unique, but they also had a lot of bad cringy stuff. The entirety of the Deftones' catalog probably holds up the best, and they're still popular with young people to this day. I felt Incubus was very unique when they hit the scene and had very good musicianship. Always enjoyed Make Yourself (1999). All these bands are way more talented than LP.

And come on man, you gotta spell "Bizkit" right!
Agree on all this. Incubus blew my mind the first time I heard the album SCIENCE! Make Yourself is also a great album, but just slightly behind that first release for me. It was very much an album that opened my mind to what music could sound like and be at a time when I needed it.

As I've grown I realized I gravitated to a lot of the more melodic nu-metal stuff. Where it wasn't just screams and growls. Sure some of that was fine at times (that first Slipknot album for example) but to me I always liked stuff like Incubus, Orgy, Cold, where it was a cleaner spund. Ultraspank and Spineshank on the heavier ends of the spectrum.

Deftones was definitely a band that has kind of outlasted all the others from that era.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Wow you really did stray off the reservation and loved hockey so much you played it with the white devils and their firewater in the stands.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Never loved LP but their success and their influence is huge. Chester was a phenom and those are some GREAT hooks. Agree w/ @johnjm22 about the drums. No issue with a guy staying in the pocket and being solid but you’re in a hard rock arena band. Throw down some heat bro, you’re allowed.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not a diehard fan, but definitely listened to my fair share of LP blasting in the car during high school back in the day.

It is definitely an impossible comeback in the sense that they know they can never replace Chester and aren't really trying to. I checked out their first show with Emily. I mean, she isn't bad and has a similar flavor/rasp as Chester, but obviously they sound like a completely different band. Good for them to bury it and essentially rebirth the band and start a whole new chapter, but if I wanted to be nostalgic I would listen to the originals and won't be really following their comeback. I hope they do well and overcome the hate though. It was a tragic and shitty situation all around, but Chester wasn't even a founding member of the band, so it is cool that they're back at it after everything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad