What Coaches Do We See Again?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
So I was browsing through the top 10 wins for coaches in the NHL.

There are some that have passed away, Al Arbour, and I think at this point Hitchcock and Bowman are done due to age.

You have Maurice, Laviolette, and Tortorella who are still active.

The last four are Trotz, Ruff (who only recently was fired), Quennville, and Darryl Sutter.

Just outside of that you have Vigneault and Babcock.

There is a pretty familiar rotating door with certain coaches, and I could see Ruff and Vigneault ending up coaching somewhere next season. I think Trotz might be done, I'm not sure on Sutter, and I think Babcock and Quennville have ruined their reputation beyond repair.

Any in that group or usual suspects end up coaching again next season?

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Trotz is the GM in Nashville so he's not looking to coach again anytime soon

Sutter and Vigneault are apparently "retired"

Babcock and Q won't be back I don't think

Another one not mentioned here is Todd Mclellan, I would think he probably gets a job again somewhere (even though he's the most mid coach of this era)

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Trotz is the GM in Nashville so he's not looking to coach again anytime soon

Sutter and Vigneault are apparently "retired"

Babcock and Q won't be back I don't think

Another one not mentioned here is Todd Mclellan, I would think he probably gets a job again somewhere (even though he's the most mid coach of this era)
Yeah I can see Mclellan getting another job soon. He's a good systems coach, but not good at much else. But I can see a team like Buffalo taking a shot at him.

Dec 15, 2002
Gerard Gallant is going to end up back in the league. He's too good of a coach not to, someone will say "even if he lasts 2-3 years, he could take us to the top, I'll roll the dice on it."

It will be interesting to see who goes after Craig Berube in the offseason. Cup-winning head coaches tend to get chances after they leave the team they won a Cup with.

Reactions: Chainshot and banks

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Yeah I can see Mclellan getting another job soon. He's a good systems coach, but not good at much else. But I can see a team like Buffalo taking a shot at him.

I forgot about him, I agree he would likely get another job next season.

Is that the MO on him, systems coach but not more? I mean he had some great Sharks teams he couldn't get over the hump so I could see that.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Any of those guys that are getting analyst gigs on TV. Recently, I've seen Boudreau and Berube. If they wanted to fully retire and spend time with their family, they wouldn't be traveling to TV studios on a regular basis.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I've heard Boudreau was on NHL Network some? Have you watched him yet? I feel like he could provide good insight.
I've caught it a few times, he's very likeable. My favorite bit of his was when the host asked him what he does during warmups and he said he didn't watch his team much, mostly just the opposing goalie. If his warmup was shaky, he'd tell his guys to fire on him early.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think Todd McLellan is done as a HC in the league. His best gig was during his tenure with the sharks. After that, he has done nothing notable. He's going to have to take an assistants role (much like ruff did in NY) if he wants to work his way back up to HC.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Todd McLellan is done as a HC in the league. His best gig was during his tenure with the sharks. After that, he has done nothing notable. He's going to have to take an assistants role (much like ruff did in NY) if he wants to work his way back up to HC.
I think he blows as a head coach, but someone (stupid) will probably hire him to be head coach this offseason or next.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

He’ll be back IMO. Worse coaches have been given another chance. Some teams prefer an experienced voice in the room even if the results don’t back it up. I don’t agree with it but a lot of NHL teams seem to be okay with making the safe play.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’ll be back IMO. Worse coaches have been given another chance. Some teams prefer an experienced voice in the room even if the results don’t back it up. I don’t agree with it but a lot of NHL teams seem to be okay with making the safe play.
At some point a coach finally gets their last job. It's hard to say which coaches didn't get another offer at a head coaching job or just decided to stay home and ''Retire'' and turn down potential job offers.

Not sure which category Claude Julien would fall under. Either way it's highly doubtful he ever comes back as a head coach. Darryl Sutter announced his retirement about a year being fired by the Kings. He came out of retirement several years later to coach the Flames. I don't think he would have accepted any other offer unless it was maybe the Oilers. He was working in some role with the Ducks, but it was almost definitely working from home in Alberta.

It looks like AV finally hit that and then announced his retirement a year later.

It looked like Dave Tippett had reached that, until the Oilers brought him back after going 3 years without being hired.

Lindy Ruff definitely had reached that, as he had to take an assistant coaching job after 20 consecutive years as a head coach, before getting another head coaching job 3 years later.

It looked like it was a real possibility with Torts when he went the entire 2014 and 2015 offseasons without taking a job. I think people were still turned off by his antics in Vancouver and going down the hallway to try and fight Bob Hartley. Then the Jackets hired him in the first month of the following season after an 0-10 start or something.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Gerard Gallant is going to end up back in the league. He's too good of a coach not to, someone will say "even if he lasts 2-3 years, he could take us to the top, I'll roll the dice on it."

It will be interesting to see who goes after Craig Berube in the offseason. Cup-winning head coaches tend to get chances after they leave the team they won a Cup with.
Berube .....Sens. Book it.

Dec 15, 2002
Bob Hartley
I almost put him down as someone who'll get another shot, and maybe he might because someone will see he won a Cup in Colorado in 2001 and then a title in the KHL in 2021, but I also think he'd be really choosy about who he goes to and that combination makes it more likely than not he doesn't land another NHL job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad