Pre-Game Talk: Western Conference Finals - Series Discussion (Bring on the Avs!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Series prediction?

• Avalanche in 4

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Avalanche in 5

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Avalanche in 6

Votes: 45 15.8%
  • Avalanche in 7

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Oilers in 7

Votes: 80 28.2%
  • Oilers in 6

Votes: 110 38.7%
  • Oilers in 5

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Oilers in 4

Votes: 10 3.5%

• Total voters

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I gotta say, I'm surprised that we're seeing the same sort of unfettered bullishness from Aves fans as we saw from Flames fans, as if the Oilers were just a Cinderella team that got lucky to make the playoffs.

If the Aves players are as uncritical about their chances against the Oilers as their fans are, the Oilers are going to kick the absolute crap out of them like they did the Flames. Let's just hope they've breathed so deeply of their own hype.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
It's just important to remember that Kadri is a piece of shit because he's a historical dirty player / self absorbed asshole..not because of his religion or ethnicity... Some Blues fans took it that direction and it's a bad look for the sport as a whole.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Just an Avs fan here excited about the upcoming series: 2 teams with lots of speed featuring the best player on the planet . . . . and one nipping at his heels. I'll be honest - I didn't watch much Edmonton until the Dallas and Calgary series, but once I did . . . whoa. McDavid just blew my mind. The guy was literally unstoppable.

Avs/Oilers promises to be pretty damn exciting. And frankly maybe what the NHL needs to showcase after the Rangers/Canes snoozefest.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kadri hate is going to be well and alive here in days time. Would have preffered the game last night went to 5 periods of OT. What a doofus team the Blues are. Dump the puck in with 20secs left and somehow you get caught back ice leaving a wide open shot. I mean you had the puck with 20secs left. How the duck to you get scored against in that time frame?

Should be a very entertaining series. Would seem that AV's Oilers is going to be the higher profile Conference final. Assuming that Canes, that nobody cares about, advance.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Kadri hate is going to be well and alive here in days time. Would have preffered the game last night went to 5 periods of OT. What a doofus team the Blues are. Dump the puck in with 20secs left and somehow you get caught back ice leaving a wide open shot. I mean you had the puck with 20secs left. How the duck to you get scored against in that time frame?

Should be a very entertaining series. Would seem that AV's Oilers is going to be the higher profile Conference final. Assuming that Canes, that nobody cares about, advance.
Yeah, the Blues really bunged that up. I couldn't believe it. I was also hoping for a marathon OT game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I gotta say, I'm surprised that we're seeing the same sort of unfettered bullishness from Aves fans as we saw from Flames fans, as if the Oilers were just a Cinderella team that got lucky to make the playoffs.

If the Aves players are as uncritical about their chances against the Oilers as their fans are, the Oilers are going to kick the absolute crap out of them like they did the Flames. Let's just hope they've breathed so deeply of their own hype.
AV's fans on the board have been like this for years. From the bravado you'd think Mackinnon etal had won the cup 3 times already. Oilers are lousy, McDrai can't defend, one compound player name team, no goalies and we smell of elderberries. Oh and Gretz sucked and Forsberg was the best player in the history of hockey. Covers most of it.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No Avs fans I know think this is gonna be a walkover. Unless Bednar locks McDavid in his hotel room in Denver. I think it's gonna be a track meet, frankly.
I'm just going by the main board (not all, some), but to be fair, there are a lot of weird Leafs and Flames fans in that thread trying to dunk on the Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The team I feared the most, Minny wild, exited the first round. Thats the club the Oilers have a lot of trouble with. I can see this here series being a bunch of games where one team or the other gets the jump. Has the look of a long series but one never knows how it rolls out. I expected the Oil to beat the Flames. I'm reserving judgement in this one. Too hard to pick.

Concur with others that this is the series that the NHL should want to see. This is the entertainment matchup.

One advantage that McDrai and the Oilers have in this is that Mackinnon, Landeskog etal would be feeling more pressure in a half to get this done now time frame. Their core is a bit older than the Oilers and needing to make noise now. Its interesting what with how much the Oilers have struggled as an org to build a team around McDrai that they are getting this chance. If you beat the AV's you will have gone farther than the current AV's club has.

Last edited:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
People think the Oilers are going to get walked. They underestimate the juggernauts on this team. Depth is also better than they think.
A friend who cheers for another team was surprised at how effective our D was considered the D core was so bad. I think the Oilers' defence is serially underrated by opposing teams -- especially now that Tippett is no longer around.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
A friend who cheers for another team was surprised at how effective our D was considered the D core was so bad. I think the Oilers' defence is serially underrated by opposing teams -- especially now that Tippett is no longer around.
D is a team effort, and when our whole club make the effort to play an own zone game we're better. That said the team didn't do that all too well in games 4 and 5. A lot to clean up still. AV's won't have the trouble finishing that Calgary did. I really do subscribe as well that deep down the Flames didn't have belief. The drop off in Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Toffoli was pretty immense. Dallas even helped stuff those players in a trunk even before the Oilers series. Flames scoring was predictably doused in the playoffs.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The team I feared the most, Minny wild, exited the first round. Thats the club the Oilers have a lot of trouble with. I can see this here series being a bunch of games where one team or the other gets the jump. Has the look of a long series but one never knows how it rolls out. I expected the Oil to beat the Flames. I'm reserving judgement in this one. Too hard to pick.

Concur with others that this is the series that the NHL should want to see. This is the entertainment matchup.

One advantage that McDrai and the Oilers have in this is that Mackinnon, Landeskog etal would be feeling more pressure in a half to get this done now time frame. Their core is a bit older than the Oilers and needing to make noise now. Its interesting what with how much the Oilers have struggled as an org to build a team around McDrai that they are getting this chance. If you beat the AV's you will have gone farther than the current AV's club has.

100% agree. Before the playoffs, I wrote on here that they were the only team in the league that would be like an auto-loss in the playoffs. I really think it's a coin-flip from here on out.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
this will be the ultimate test...they're MUCH better than Calgary because they're deeper and their top players show up when it counts

the good news is that the Oilers and Avs played some great games in April and they wont be intimidated
Oilers in 7!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad