Pre-Game Talk: Week of Mixed Emotions (ARI-W, LA, CHI, TB)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, I know they tried to sign Orpik, Stralman etc.. I still think Orpik contract will look horrible in a year or two, so I'm glad we missed out on that, but Stralman seems to be solid D and not too bad price. I'm still hoping Ehrhoff joins us next season, that would help us a lot.

I been wanting Ehrhoff since before Mitch caught a body. I dont think we are ever going to get that German.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Stamkos had 23 goals in his first season not exactly lighting the wife on fire in terms of scoring. Stamkos is a born sniper but those guys dont come around all that often. I have a hard time thinking that Mackinnon doesnt have atleast a few 40 goal campaigns in him. His shot is just too good not to be able to be atleast a 30-35 goal scorer. He will figure it out the focker is still only 19.

I hope he figures it out too, coz this season he's more on pace with Brandon Yip's 12 goal sophomore performance as opposed to Stamkos' 51.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, it's just hard to understand, MacK is 19 years old and he was one of the youngest from his draft. We should just have more patience with him, he will figure it out, he's too smart, fast not to figure it out. He will be great. This team will take automatically next step when MacK becomes one of the elites in this league. Look at how big difference, like Perry/Getzlaf can have for a team. I think they are basically carrying Anaheim.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Valuable on the PK. We hear that alot---especially in regards to the talentless M.A. Cliche. And now we hear that alot in regards to Stuart too. Good on the PK. Yeah, he is decent on the PK, coz he brings a physical element to the D-corps that only EJ has also. Sadly, Hejda seems to have lost that part of his game with his advancing age. Guenin & Holden have the size to play a more physical game, but they're just too slow and too lacking in the ability to read the play to be much more than human pylons who wave their sticks at opposing forwards buzzing around them. Obviously Barrie & Redmond are not physical in the slightest. Would I prefer seeing Zanon & the O'B's still on the roster? Good Lord no. But truthfully speaking, as defensive defenseman go, are Guenin, Holden and a 35 yr. old, $3.6 mil./yr. Brad Stuart noticeably better than Zanon and the O'B's? IMO no, other than Holden has some offensive upside. Would I prefer to see the Avs loaded down with small Hunwick/Cumiskey type D-men instead? No again. Barrie & Redmond (who only plays small) are enough for my liking. Balance on D is very important---no disagreement with you there. That's why Sakic & Roy's decision to go "all in" with G, H & S baffles me. Where's the balance there? 3 plodding defensemen, in addition to the plodding Jan Hejda account for two-thirds of your D. Worse yet, there's no one in the organization close to being NHL-ready for at least 2 more years. That spells deep trouble for next season too. Yeah, Briere's & Hejda's contracts will be off the books, and hopefully a few more as well if Roykic is lucky, freeing up some cap space loot to go free agent shopping for competent D-men. Realistically though, who's gonna wanna come to a last place team unless you overpay like hell to get them? This is the Avs Achilles heel and it looks to be that way for quite some time.

I would say Stuart makes a noticeable difference on the PK. Cliche, not at all. He is just another body.

Completely disagree about Bigras not being ready. And he will add a lot of the skating you are wanting.

Where is the balance? Each pair has a stay at home type of guy who is defensively responsible and someone with some offensive upside.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I would say Stuart makes a noticeable difference on the PK. Cliche, not at all. He is just another body.

Completely disagree about Bigras not being ready. And he will add a lot of the skating you are wanting.

Where is the balance? Each pair has a stay at home type of guy who is defensively responsible and someone with some offensive upside.

Bigras very well may be ready for the big show next season. Myself, and every Av fan out there have our fingers crossed hoping that he is, since he seemingly has the skill set to be multi-dimensional. The real question is whether Patrick Roy will give him a shot over one of his beloved projects---Guenin & Holden, who he seems to be loyal to to the bitter end. Needless to say, I'm not a big Stuart fan, but the Avs are stuck with him for now unless another team is desperate enough to take him & his contract out of Denver. I wouldn't hold my breath that'll happen any time soon though. Such a shame that the Avs have done such a piss-poor job finding top-end talent in Europe. I just don't see the Avs filling every hole they have with nothing but N. Americans.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Hmmmmmm with the snow storm coming into town tonight I wonder if the Bolts are actually going to be able to make it into DIA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hmmmmmm with the snow storm coming into town tonight I wonder if the Bolts are actually going to be able to make it into DIA.

I hope not. I'd love for the game to be rescheduled. I really don't know if I can make it. Usually they wouldn't want to travel back but anything that gets them out of a tough b2b and they can just go home after tonight maybe they would. They've probably already left Phoenix so prob wishful thinking.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Some draft misses by Pracey: You would think that someone so in love with small skill guys would have picked Johnny Hockeyâ„¢ over Nermark in 2011r4. Also Shaw over Muers the next round. And Palat going 4th last was a miss by everyone.

(The following is according to one study based on players drafted 1988-97, and my expectations of our prospects)

Overall, the percentage of players drafted that play significant time n the NHL is 23.2%. Pracey drafted 26 players. Of those, 4 have already made it (15.3%), two more will (adding Picks and Bournival brings it to 23.0%), and another three have a decent shot (Elliot, Siemens and Hishon: 34.6%). Take out 2009, those numbers become 19 picks, 1 already (5.3%), 2 will (15.8%) and 2 maybe (26.3%).

Round by round:
A player selected in the first round has a 60% chance of playing 200+ NHL games. For Pracey, so so, as two of his 1sts have not made it (though may still, and injury shouldn't be held against him).
For 2nd round, the chance drops to 27.3%, and here, Pracey does well, with 1/4 already there, and one probable and one more possible.
Third round averages 25.7%, and Pracey falters a bit, but still fine, with Barrie being enough to carry it at 1/3 (and Bournival should get there too, making it well above average).
Rounds 4-6 sit around 13.9%, meaning at least 1, maybe 2 of the 11 he picked in those rounds should be showing real promise...and we have maybe 1 and outside shot at a 2nd.
Round 7 is a 7% crap shoot, and with Colin Smith, I think we have a slight shot at a last round win (even if we don't need any more of that type of player).

He did not do as poorly as some would like to believe. Outside of 2012, he only picked 4 centers in 3 years. Two of them now center our top lines, and one other possibly could be if it weren't for an injury. What the hell he was thinking in 2012 by going 5/5 on centers is anyone's guess...maybe he lost a bet, or was winning one by doing that. He also drafted 8 D in 3 years, along with 4W and 4G. Maybe did not need that may G, but Roykic have drafted one is each of their drafts as well.

But overall, if you take out 2009, Pracey looks like he stunk, although for some, it is still too early to tell. If you take out 2012, he drafts balanced, but leans small. He does not do well with D, aside from Barrie and maybe Elliott. At G, he did fine, with the highest pick doing best, and little expectation from 5th round and later.

That 2012 year is tough to explain though. That cost him the job, along with ignoring Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00