Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It really feel like Miami gave that game away rather than the bills won it. Overall though, take the Ws anyway you can. Hopefully the long week means we can get a body or two back on defense.

Reactions: SabresFan26

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Thrilled with the game and the team looks. They destroyed miami's season, even before the Tua injury.

The mounting injuries are concerning. Mini bye week before a tough stretch of games

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Hope Tua's okay after that hit. IMO, he should really consider retiring for his long-term health. 4 concussions in 2 seasons is nothing to mess with.

On the football side of things, it was beautiful, glorious schadenfreude to watch McDaniel's faith and confidence in his supposed franchise QB crumble in real time, until all he could throw was swings, screens, and 5-7 yard checkdowns. Also nice to be on the other side of the Poyer 15 yard penalty and getting outraced to the end zone on a big run play.

Hats off to McD and Babich for their work with the defense. Hard to nitpick anything, but in general, I hope they can find some better DT depth, or that Carter improves during the season.
I don't understand why Tua went into that tackle like a running back with his history.. Either really stupid or a fearless warrior ?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The injuries are a big concern going forward. But man, Babich has coached really well so far. I'd love to see the defensive stats from the 2nd half of last week to now.

The offense is driving consistently, putting up massive chunks of points in a half, and Allen isn't throwing any dumb passes. I believe some of that is on Brady. Who I have also been impressed with.

It's only week two, though. Lots of football left to be played. Don't be surprised if Beane adds a Rasul type of player at the deadline this year. What a gem he's been thus far, and we know those INTs will start coming.

I don't understand why Tua went into that tackle like a running back with his history.. Either really stupid or a fearless warrior ?
Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
i definitely got joy out of this win, idk what you're talking about.

Tua should retire. He just signed a massive deal with guaranteed dollars and so long as he has the best medical treatment in the world available to him, I assume life will be okay.

I entirely forgot Elam was even an option on this team, on a lesser note. Ingram is solid and I think McDermott might be the best secondary coach in the NFL.
Ehhhh...head injuries are freaky. I wouldn't just assume he's going to be ok. He's had three terrible concussions due to his head snapping back and smashing the ground. Freaky stuff. I agree he should strongly consider retiring, but the big contract he just received may push him to keep going.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He looked out if it walking to the locker-room, though.
He also had that 'fencing response' like he did when he got concussed in 2022 and his hands contorted like that, which is a really bad sign. Watched the play again this morning and it made me feel genuinely sick.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Feels like Josh is settling into a Michael Jordan role. Just be your nasty self until you have to go beasting. He never had to beast last night.

Call me petty or a sore winner but I don't know how McDaniel can ever be a great coach. Dude looks like he's never played football in his life, got the job because he won a fantasy league with Stephen Ross and you going out wearing clam diggers bro. Does he really command the room. I am not surprised his team is soft and gets punched in the mouth twice a year by McDermott. I'm sorry this is the NFL bro.

Whew. Ok sorry I just had to get that off my chest

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Feels like Josh is settling into a Michael Jordan role. Just be your nasty self until you have to go beasting. He never had to beast last night.

Call me petty or a sore winner but I don't know how McDaniel can ever be a great coach. Dude looks like he's never played football in his life, got the job because he won a fantasy league with Stephen Ross and you going out wearing clam diggers bro. Does he really command the room. I am not surprised his team is soft and gets punched in the mouth twice a year by McDermott. I'm sorry this is the NFL bro.

It was beautiful to watch. He was instrumental on 2nd TD drive. That throw to Johnson (?) was insane. He's Rodgers-esque when he rolls right. It seemed like he was on the brink of dropping a bomb on their head, then everyone else took over.

Reactions: Matt Ress

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

He's built his team to front-run and thrive off the misdirection, quick game, and speed stuff, which works against bad or fundamentally unsound defenses, but they have nothing outside of their fastball. Zero answers on either side of the game if you play physical and punch 'em in the mouth. I think it was the first or second play on offense where Kincaid caught a quick pass in the flat and promptly ran over two defenders to get an extra 4-5 yards--felt like the perfect tone-setter for the evening.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I've seen enough. Miami isn't coming back down 21 with their backup QB. Put in Trubisky.
(and)
Get Josh out of there. It's Trubisky Time.
I reminded my wife that the Bills are UNDEFEATED in game he has played at QB for Buffalo in his career.
I don’t know what this expression means. But I know I like it.

Also, how offensive is it that Miami was favored? Clowns
Remember that a betting line, example MIA -2.5 does NOT necessarily mean MIA was favored to win. The line is set to draw essentially even money to both sides of a wager, and is set to entice reluctant bettors.
Miami was in trouble once their best player, The Sun, was benched for this game.
Well-played!
1 penalty tonight. Excellent.
(and)
We didn't take a mess of stupid penalties either. I think I'm more excited about that then I should be lol.
My biggest joy, aside from the win and no injury to Allen, was that the referees did not decide the game.
Jets and Pats next Thursday.... Can't wait for their annual 6-3 game.Seriously, it's like watching paint dry when they play each other . I love a good defensive game as ,uch as the next person but they make it so stale.
I love a great defensive game where yards are hard fought and field position is a chess match. However, I agree theirs tend to be more battles of futility.

Is McDaniels wearing capri pants? Well there ya go
(and)
<snip>

We must recall the famous words of the stocky "Big Tuna", Bill Parcels, an early adopter of Sansabelts himself, who challenged us, "I dream of a day when future coaches will be judged not on the cut of their trousers, but by the content of their character."

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Every now and again, I get bored and post a mock draft on this thread. I almost always elect to load up on offensive and defensive linemen. I never fretted about losing Diggs and Davis. And I never advocated going up and getting a receiver in the draft. Last night's game is why.

Offensively, Buffalo has a franchise QB, and that's the most important player to have. The next 5? The five linemen who protect him and block for runners. Brady lived for years with Gronk, Edleman, and a cast of ever changing, average receivers. Really, outside of the Moss-Welker years, Brady never had a complete group of really good offensive players around him.

What did Brady have? A great offensive line. The Pats invested in the line a lot. Buffalo's offensive line dominated last night and really since they made it 17-10 vs the Cardinals. You keep Allen upright, and he won't need elite receivers. You open holes for runners, and you take pressure off Allen.

One way to help your franchise QB is to give him weapons. The other way is to give him a clean pocket and a running game. I take the latter. It works.

Defensively, McDermott is showing that it's plug and play for his back 7 players. You get the front four to dominate, and you can shuttle in replacement linebackers and defensive backs, and the Bills are still effective. As long as you're getting the QB off time and stopping the run, you can win with a patchwork back seven.

Cam Lewis hasn't looked out of place at nickel back. The linebackers are really just big safeties, so they are getting hurt a lot. Beane keeps drafting depth, McDermott keeps shuttling them in, and the Bills don't really miss a beat. They lose two great safeties, replace them and don't look worse.

If Beane has elected to fortify both lines, give Allen help, and allow Babich to scheme the back seven on defense, then I'm on board. It's not the mainstream thought, but that's influenced a tad by video games and fantasy football.

I'll take Allen, and five hogs up front. And then have highly drafted offensive linemen behind them developing. I'll also take Babich scheming the defense to wins with the front four making a mess of the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Ehh, I'm going to disagree with this. IMO, there is a STARK difference between Taron Johnson and Cam Lewis. He had a couple of drives last night where he looked very much out of place.....and then a couple of drives where he actually looked solid.

No one is replacing Taron Johnson - he's probably the best nickel back in the league. But Cam Lewis is solid and I bet could start at nickel on a few teams.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Can I just say....this sounds silly, but Jacksonville is an absolutely must win, no excuses game.

With the tough part of our schedule, @Baltmore, @Houston, KC, SF, @ LAR, @ Detroit....if you 3-3 in those games, you've done well. Those are 4 tough road games and 2 elite teams at home.

That gives you realistically 3 losses to play with between:

Jacksonville
@NYJ
Tennessee
@Seattle
Miami
@ Indy
NE
NYJ
@ NE

No excuses vs Jacksonville. Gotta win when you are at home with longer rest.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
McDaniel may be able to vibe well with the players and make the game fun for them when everything goes right, but listening to his presser last night, the man doesn't know how react when the pressure ramps up, and things don't go according to plan. He doesn't come across as a leader of men, but he comes off like "one of the boys", which has it's time and place on a team but when you need your coach to be a resource to look towards for guidance, it's not the best. It for sure reflects pretty clearly on Miami in how they respond.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Can I just say....this sounds silly, but Jacksonville is an absolutely must win, no excuses game.

With the tough part of our schedule, @Baltmore, @Houston, KC, SF, @ LAR, @ Detroit....if you 3-3 in those games, you've done well. Those are 4 tough road games and 2 elite teams at home.

That gives you realistically 3 losses to play with between:

Jacksonville
@NYJ
Tennessee
@Seattle
Miami
@ Indy
NE
NYJ
@ NE

No excuses vs Jacksonville. Gotta win when you are at home with longer rest.
The Bills 2024 schedule is quirky. Between all the prime time games, the opponents, the home vs. away matchups and travel challenges, when each opponent is slotted in the schedule, when weather could be a factor, the Bills current injuries and lack of depth, etc. I don't see a single Bills opponent remaining who we know in advance will go down like a fat kid on a see-saw.

I do like the Bills having a "late" bye in the schedule. That bye is actually at the mid-point of the season if you look at the end of the season as the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Obviously injuries and talent will continue to be an issue, but gosh McDermott/Babich seem to be something special with the defensive scheming and playcalling through 2 games. The defense seems to finally taken a real step forward from an innovation standpoint from how stale it felt toward the end with Frazier.

If we keep playing the way we're playing.......it's entirely plausible that we are looking for a new OC and DC in the offseason. Brady and Babich have the guys absolutely humming right now.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was having a terrible game with 3 picks including a pick 6. Down 3 TDs at that point in time. On that series of downs, he missed a TD on that seam route in the middle to his receiver, high and outside, off the WR fingers. He hits that, he's not on the field for a 4th and 4.

So, he needed to make sure he got the first down. Could not afford to slide short of the first when he had the room to get it. Had to watch the replay a few times, but clearly he isn't a natural runner, in terms of having a combination of 1) having speed or elusiveness 2) vision to see where the tacklers are coming from and where the open field is 3) knowing where the line of the gain is and 4) sliding, either feet or head first depending on the situational needs.

He took a 7 step drop back to the 20, then saw the opening in the middle and took it. Hamlin was coming from his right, but his left side was more open. He should have been running away from Hamlin to avoid full contact. And once he hit the 9, which was the line of the gain, he should have been looking to get down.

Didn't look like a serious hit, but it then shows much susceptible Tua is to a concussion now. He will have made $53 mill in salary for his 5 seasons. And should pocket some of the $42 mill SB even if he opts to retire. Which should put him over $60 mill in career earnings. Money should not be a factor in his decision to retire. He's made generational money. If it's in his best interests to retire, he should. But, that's up to him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad