Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Stopped watching the game at 17 to 3 because I was starting to get annoyed, color me shocked when I checked the score hours later. Good for the Bills but man....these games aren't good for emotionally lol
Whenever I go to watch a Bills game, I call it "My exercise for the day". Why? Because my heart rate gets HIGH and stays there for a good 2 hours. So it's a good workout.

Reactions: TheStorm

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Color me worried about Taron J and Josh Allen's left arm/hand

Josh has a bit of Von miller in him. No matter WHAT the injury was, in a post game interview he'll say he's 110% fine and ready to go. He could be an amputee and say he's playing he next week. Whatever he says holds no water to me.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
To build on the early play calling, here is what things looked like:

1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 3
1 & 10 - Pass to Hollins for 14
1 & 10 - Pass play, sack, lost fumble

3/4 plays called were successful and the one that wasn't was a pass play that Samuel was open and Josh turned it down.

1 & 10 - Pass to Coleman - DPI
1 & 10 - Cook run for 15
1 & 10 - Cook run for 5
2 & 5 - Pass to Knox for 21
1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 4
1 & Goal (8) - Cook run for 4
2 & Goal (4) - Cook run for 0
3 & Goal (4) - Allen rushing TD nullified Torrence personal foul (facemask)
3 & Goal (19)- Allen sacked for 0 yards lost

About the only play call you can really complain about is the Cook run on 2 & Goal from the 4.

:dunno:

In your 2 examples above Brady is rocking a 37% pass rate on 1st down. While this is just one game, the concerning thing to me is that Brady is developing a little bit of a history of low neutral play pass rates.

I don't agree with all that much that I hear on WGR, especially SJ, but they're noticing some things about pass rates as well:

I've been saying it for years, when you run the ball you shorten the game and and decrease your margin for error. We'll see if this is game plan specific, but but based on the Bills play down the stretch last year there are definitely things worth monitoring.

May want to talk to the defense first about getting themselves off the field by stopping the other team's offense.

Arizona played Buffalo's game to a T. They dominated the time of possession and kept Allen off the field. Arizona played the perfect road game for that first half.

The defense sucked in the first half, but the 1st Miami game last year went TD-TD-TD-TD-TD. Our offense punched and counterpunched until the Dolphins eventually broke. I have plenty of concerns about the D, but they did firm up in the second half despite missing TJ, so they get a little bit of a pass.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Watson's longest completion today is 8 yards. Holy cow does he look cooked.

Love seeing Deshaun Watson put up these numbers while his team is getting walloped:

7/16, 36 yards, 1 INT, 25.0 Rating. Sacked 2 times.

EDIT: Ken Dorsey is their OC. This is going to be an absolute disaster since he doesn't have Allen to bail him out.

Besides his physical decline, his vision/pocket presence is now awful. Has missed at least a few open throws because of happy feet

I have a couple of fun futures parlays that I do over the summer. A division winner one, an over/under wins parlay, and then a prop parlay. Nothing super crazy but if they hit it would pay nice.

Watson floundering and the Browns under wins total was my biggest bet. Fading him and the browns hard. Hope he gets BENCHED! lol

What's that smell? Smells like Jameis Winston season has come early!!

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I have a couple of fun futures parlays that I do over the summer. A division winner one, an over/under wins parlay, and then a prop parlay. Nothing super crazy but if they hit it would pay nice.

Watson floundering and the Browns under wins total was my biggest bet. Fading him and the browns hard. Hope he gets BENCHED! lol

What's that smell? Smells like Jameis Winston season has come early!!
Do you really want him to be benched if you're rolling with the Browns under? They were a playoff team with a bunch of randos not named Watson under center last year lol.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just realized Allen made Baker clap his hands as he hurdles him. Good show of sportsmanship by Baker!

I remember a defensive player talking about Barry Sanders making him clap his hands every time he tried to tackle him & got juked out of his socks, and now it's something I always keeps an eye out for.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Fezzy126 said:
In your 2 examples above Brady is rocking a 37% pass rate on 1st down. While this is just one game, the concerning thing to me is that Brady is developing a little bit of a history of low neutral play pass rates.

If they're averaging 9 yards a pop on 1st down between the 20's their run rate SHOULD be that high until the defense does something to stop them. That's more yardage than the best passer has ever averaged over a full season, which should alleviate the "shortening the game" concern. Which leads us to....

And the reason they didn't score on the first drive was because of a pass play gone wrong.

Additionally, the Bills tearing off chunks of yardage in the running game forced the Cardinals linebackers to commit downhill to the running game, which opened up the passing game to that extent. In addition, one of these drives was in the two minute drill where of course they called 7 of 8 passing plays (not to mention constant false starts putting them in long down and distance).

Then going forward in the 2nd half the Cardinals were able to force the Bills into more passing downs by committing more resources to the run and stopping it on early downs (which, again, opened up the pass).

I find this tweet misleading at best and really quite disingenuous.

Fun fact (that to be clear is more chance than anything else, but funny to point out in the context of the argument) - the Bills punted twice in the 2nd half. Both possessions started with a called pass play. Every other possession in the 2nd half started with a run, and they scored on each one.

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Another quick comment about Brady's tendencies - I think people are reading too much into the Dallas game last year and this game this year. Brady is more than happy to throw it if that's what the game plan calls for. The Dallas game skewed his numbers quite a bit. Here's a fuller look at the end of the regular season starting from when Brady took over.

VS NYJ: 33 passes, 38 runs, but skewed by a 20+ point 4th quarter lead. Take out the 4th quarter and it's 32 passes, 28 runs (34 v 26 called passes vs runs as 2 of 3 Allen runs were scrambles.

VS PHI: 52 passes, 40 runs. 5 Allen scrambles so 57 called passes, 35 called runs

VS KC: 45 passes, 28 runs. 4 Allen scrambles so 49 passes, 24 runs called.

VS DAL: 16 passes, 49 runs, 3 Allen scrambles so 19 to 46 called. -Interesting note here, the Bills actually should have had to punt on 2 of their first 3 possessions (roughing the kicker allowed the 3rd to continue). On those possessions, they threw on both 2nd and 3rd down despite having favorable down and distance from a strong 1st down run. Brady then went full bore on the run game and the Bills dominated Dallas' defense the rest of the way.

VS LAC: 22 passes, 30 runs. One scramble so 23 passes, 29 runs. Run heavy plan for sure here, but it was turnovers in the 2nd half that hurt them and kept this a close game.

VS NE: 31 passes, 37 runs. 2 scrambles so 33-35. Passing game was NOT effective in this one, particularly in the 1st half.

VS MIA: 41 passes, 36 runs. 4 scrambles so 45-32. Turnovers killed us in this one too.

Those were all of his regular season games. 3 games that stick out as run heavy, with in game reasons for at least two of the three.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Do you really want him to be benched if you're rolling with the Browns under? They were a playoff team with a bunch of randos not named Watson under center last year lol.
My friend, you make a good point. Perhaps the best path for my greed would be they are stubborn and stick with their 250M dollar man and he just goes out and under performs week in and week out.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't know if it's the inherent Buffalonian in me.......but I'm kinda nervous for the game Sunday.

<snip>

I think we win this game. I'm gonna say 34-27. But it isn't going to be a game where Arizona gets points in garbage time to make it look close. Wouldn't shock me if we're tied going into the 4th.

EDIT: 1520 has a Audacy betting show 9-11 a.m. Sundays hosted by Jason La Confora,

I'm picking the Bill's by 6 Sunday (spread is -6.5) in a tight game.
Well done. What's your early take on Thursday night's score? I need money to fix my truck...

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The Bills in general have had a pretty good plan for Tua in McDonald's offense since he's gotten there. Even the one game we lost to them was that weird game where we lost a bunch of guys on offense to heat exhaustion and just couldn't finish in the red zone.

Although that has been an issue with the Bills in Miami in particular the last couple of years for all of Allen's dominance against them. Can't be turning the ball over in the red zone as much as they did last year.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad