Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Am I alone in thinking we HAVE to get Shakir more involved. Again, I’m still learning, but man I feel he has some untapped potential. He could be a leader with this WR group
Shakir is the most efficient receiver in the NFL, and both his catches showed that again. He is a stud, but not sure he is a big volume guy. 3-5 catches are probably his usual range. I think Samuel and Kincaid needs to be more involved as a whole. Maybe Samuel was slow played back from his injury. No one is feasting on the bills except Allen, Cook, and potentially Kincaid. Knox looked solid too which could hurt Kincaid production.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'll try to be mindful on this...fan forum....moving forward.
I think it is important to acknowledge what are opinions and what we know.

Plus, they picked one player from every position room. For every guy you have a question about, who is the better fit from that position group?

The RB room is the perfect one to consider with the choices being Cook, Ty Johnson, and Ray Davis. I could see Davis being that guy in a year or two. But, I can't see them picking a rookie over their RB1.

:dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The offensive weapon snaps were interesting:

WRs:
Coleman 45 73%
Hollins 36 58%
Shakir 33 53%
Samuel 17 27%
MVS 13 21%

TEs:
Kincaid 52 84%
Knox 36 58%
Morris 6 10%

RBs:
Cook 38 61%
Johnson 14 23%
Davis 6 10%
Gilliam (FB) 4 6%

Reactions: Dingo44

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
A win is a win, but...

If Allen only has 2 pass attempts by the two minute warning of the first half, I will lead the parade to fire Brady into the sun.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

:lol:

A win is a win, but...

If Allen only has 2 pass attempts by the two minute warning of the first half, I will lead the parade to fire Brady into the sun.
They had two drives.

The first one ended because Josh didn't get the ball out on time, took a sack, and fumbled the ball away in the red zone on a play call by Brady.

On the second drive, Josh Allen had a rushing TD called back due to a Torrence facemask.

Brady's play calling early was fine. They were moving ball well.

The biggest reason for that stat was that the Cards controlled TOP.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
That deep pass to Coleman is exactly why we drafted him. Great contested catch to keep the drive alive, which ultimately ended up with a TD. He had a very good game, imo. Hollins also was impressive. Shakir's ability to gain yards after the catch is amazing. He's got fight in him. Great draft pick.
Pretty solid day for the receiving group. I was a bit surprised we didn't see more Kincaid but he'll get his games

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pretty solid day for the receiving group. I was a bit surprised we didn't see more Kincaid but he'll get his games
Arizona's defensive gameplan was to bracket Kincaid and take him away. To get future defenses to stop doing that, they will need the rest of the weapons to continue to be effective and cause defenses to change what they are doing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To build on the early play calling, here is what things looked like:

1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 3
1 & 10 - Pass to Hollins for 14
1 & 10 - Pass play, sack, lost fumble

3/4 plays called were successful and the one that wasn't was a pass play that Samuel was open and Josh turned it down.

1 & 10 - Pass to Coleman - DPI
1 & 10 - Cook run for 15
1 & 10 - Cook run for 5
2 & 5 - Pass to Knox for 21
1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 4
1 & Goal (8) - Cook run for 4
2 & Goal (4) - Cook run for 0
3 & Goal (4) - Allen rushing TD nullified Torrence personal foul (facemask)
3 & Goal (19)- Allen sacked for 0 yards lost

About the only play call you can really complain about is the Cook run on 2 & Goal from the 4.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The offensive weapon snaps were interesting:

WRs:
Coleman 45 73%
Hollins 36 58%
Shakir 33 53%
Samuel 17 27%
MVS 13 21%

TEs:
Kincaid 52 84%
Knox 36 58%
Morris 6 10%

RBs:
Cook 38 61%
Johnson 14 23%
Davis 6 10%
Gilliam (FB) 4 6%
Wow. I'm really surprised about Coleman. McD usually likes to be cautious with his rookies and have them slowly earn their snap count. I wonder if Samuel is still dealing with his injury. I doubt he'll stay that low. Hollins does a lot of good in run blocking, so makes sense he's getting a good share of snaps. Not surpised about Kincaid.

Also, I really, really like our RB room. Johnson is someone I'm rooting pretty heavily for. He's not overly talented, but he puts in work. I love that in an RB. It can have a ripple effect on the offense when they see their RB putting it all on the line for a few extra yards.

Does anyone know what formation we were running the most on offense?

A win is a win, but...

ToP dictated that + Cook was running really well. I'm a big fan of Brady. If teams now have to worry about us running the ball when it's working effectively, then it's only going to open things up for Allen.

Arizona's defensive gameplan was to bracket Kincaid and take him away. To get future defenses to stop doing that, they will need the rest of the weapons to continue to be effective and cause defenses to change what they are doing.
Good start in that regard! The offense seemed very efficient outside of Allen's fumble.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
To build on the early play calling, here is what things looked like:

1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 3
1 & 10 - Pass to Hollins for 14
1 & 10 - Pass play, sack, lost fumble

3/4 plays called were successful and the one that wasn't was a pass play that Samuel was open and Josh turned it down.

1 & 10 - Pass to Coleman - DPI
1 & 10 - Cook run for 15
1 & 10 - Cook run for 5
2 & 5 - Pass to Knox for 21
1 & 10 - Cook run for 9
2 & 1 - Cook run for 4
1 & Goal (8) - Cook run for 4
2 & Goal (4) - Cook run for 0
3 & Goal (4) - Allen rushing TD nullified Torrence personal foul (facemask)
3 & Goal (19)- Allen sacked for 0 yards lost

About the only play call you can really complain about is the Cook run on 2 & Goal from the 4.

And really, let's continue doing that from time-to-time. I feel like a big part of offensive strategy is keeping the defense on it's heels. If they have to worry about handoffs to RBs on top of Allen doing Allen things- it's only going to cause more mind games for opposing defenses as the season progresses. Plus, it takes some of the wear and tear off of Allen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And really, let's continue doing that from time-to-time. I feel like a big part of offensive strategy is keeping the defense on it's heels. If they have to worry about handoffs to RBs on top of Allen doing Allen things- it's only going to cause more mind games for opposing defenses as the season progresses. Plus, it takes some of the wear and tear off of Allen.
One of the things that I heard one or two people in Bills media talk about yesterday that drove me nuts were people saying both they have relied too much on Allen in the past AND they ran the ball too much yesterday and they don't want to take the ball out of Allen's hands.

You can't have it both ways!

For me, the offense was good yesterday. They were 2 plays away (Josh taking the sack & fumbling & the Torrence PF that wiped out the first Josh TD run) on the first two drives from putting up 40+ points.

With the new system and the almost completely new WR room, that's good even if it was against a bad defense.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
One of the things that I heard one or two people in Bills media talk about yesterday that drove me nuts were people saying both they have relied too much on Allen in the past AND they ran the ball too much yesterday and they don't want to take the ball out of Allen's hands.

You can't have it both ways!

For me, the offense was good yesterday. They were 2 plays away (Josh taking the sack & fumbling & the Torrence PF that wiped out the first Josh TD run) on the first two drives from putting up 40+ points.

With the new system and the almost completely new WR room, that's good even if it was against a bad defense.
I'm not sure that there was/is a more ideal defense out there to break in the new system against. Arizona can't really get any sustained pressure at all and their secondary blows in pass coverage. Arizona's "strength" on defense is the quality/athleticism of their LBs. That's why we saw Kincaid neutralized -- they used their athletic LBs and Budda Baker to bracket him continually.

Next week, the defense only gets marginally better. Miami can get some pressure on the edges, Jalen Ramsey should lock down whoever he covers and Jevon Holland is talented. But they've got NOTHING up the middle of that D other than Holland. Should be another week where Cook flourishes. I also bet that the screen game makes some appearance given the aggressiveness of their edge rushers.

Reactions: kirby11

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yep. They'll have to rely on Josh to spread the ball around which isn't a bad game plan.

Overall, I think the Bills will be much better off playing with a lead (duh) but they could have trouble against the run and short passing game all year with Milano out yet they could have a solid pash rush and 3 very good corners against teams pushing to score. I think the D will have big moments but generally struggle a lot. The tackling was pretty bad yesterday also but that is something that is possible to clean up.

The offense is versatile and can do just about anything a defense gives them. Run in, out, deep, medium short passing with good receivers everywhere with depth. And if you shut all that down josh will just juice and truck. Lots of scoring on both sides.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Does anyone happen to have a link to a good site for NFL game streams that they could PM me?

I have 8+ sites saved (like sportsurge, nflbite, firstrowsports, streameast, livetv, atdhe, etc) that I have used in the past but I couldn’t get a single one of them to work yesterday.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm not sure that there was/is a more ideal defense out there to break in the new system against. Arizona can't really get any sustained pressure at all and their secondary blows in pass coverage. Arizona's "strength" on defense is the quality/athleticism of their LBs. That's why we saw Kincaid neutralized -- they used their athletic LBs and Budda Baker to bracket him continually.

Next week, the defense only gets marginally better. Miami can get some pressure on the edges, Jalen Ramsey should lock down whoever he covers and Jevon Holland is talented. But they've got NOTHING up the middle of that D other than Holland. Should be another week where Cook flourishes. I also bet that the screen game makes some appearance given the aggressiveness of their edge rushers.
Having a somewhat viable WR screen game is also a nice addition for punishing teams who are either bringing pressure or playing off to avoid giving up deep passes. Between Shakir's shiftiness, Samuel's quickness, and Hollins and Coleman using their size as blockers, they have solid pieces for running those plays a few times per game.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
A win is a win, but...

To be fair:

They only had 2 drives
The first ending on a fumble during a called pass play
The second drive included a penalty for the good and a sack during called pass plays. Considering if it wasnt for a penalty they would’ve scored a touchdown, can you really fault Brady for Allen only having 2 attempts?

Reactions: HOOats and Jim Bob

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
A win is a win, but...

May want to talk to the defense first about getting themselves off the field by stopping the other team's offense.

Arizona played Buffalo's game to a T. They dominated the time of possession and kept Allen off the field. Arizona played the perfect road game for that first half.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Miami weather Thursday.
Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 8.55.33 AM.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Stopped watching the game at 17 to 3 because I was starting to get annoyed, color me shocked when I checked the score hours later. Good for the Bills but man....these games aren't good for emotionally lol

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad