Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I mean, for what…
Agenda pushers are going to agenda push.

WNY sports media is insufferable. Mike Danger went on a national show and called the Bills "an 8 win team". Most local media go on national media to talk up their team (seriously they're almost all homers) and Danger comes out with an anti-Bills take that he could make 2:1 or 3:1 odds on if he bet on in Vegas.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I generally liked the game Brady called, but I was surprised they didn’t go with any bootleg play actions off the stretch runs that kept getting stuffed on 1st down in the second half.

Brady isn't going to empty the playbook on a team that couldn't stop basically anything we did.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Run-heavy game script and not going for it on 4th down at the end
.........jesus christ. I was actually annoyed at points that we went away from the run given how well it was working at times.

And the 4th down at the end? Kick a FG and make a TD beat you.....don't get the 1st and a FG beats you, and Arizona had the favorable wind.

Totally agree with the FG call.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Here's one minor gripe I have with McDermott (and to be fair, the vast majority of coaches do this and I still don't get it).

I'm assuming the Bills won the toss and deferred. Because everyone wants that "double up" opportunity, and sure, the Bills got it this time so it paid off. But half the time it's the team that receives who gets the last possession of the half so there's no double up, so that's not a sure thing you'll even have that chance.

Meanwhile, by deferring, they have to choose to receive in the second half, leaving the other team to pick the direction. Meaning it's the team who receives first who gets to pick the direction in the 4th quarter. Which when the wind is what it was today, might have been a nice thing to have...

In a dome, or no wind? Defer. When it's windy? Receive and make sure you pick the direction in the second half. And putting Allen and offense out there first isn't going to hurt you, especially if you can score and force the other team to keep playing catch up.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
.........jesus christ. I was actually annoyed at points that we went away from the run given how well it was working at times.

And the 4th down at the end? Kick a FG and make a TD beat you.....don't get the 1st and a FG beats you, and Arizona had the favorable wind.

Totally agree with the FG call.
FG would only tie in that situation, not win.

I think if it was closer, you go for it, but it was what, 4th and 3? That's a tougher call.

Reactions: HOOats

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm pleasantly surprised that the d showed up for the second half. Cardinals looked good on offense.

Allen made it extremely hard for himself. I love him but every game is a hero's journey. He's unique in all of sports. I hope he's ready for friday the 13th :scared:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
FG would only tie in that situation, not win.

I think if it was closer, you go for it, but it was what, 4th and 3? That's a tougher call.
....counting/math is hard. Getting the FG still means it takes a TD to win.

And totally agreed. I think it was either 4th and 3 or at best 4th and a long 2. If it was "Josh into the pile" territory, then go for it. But in this circumstance, I totally agree with the FG call.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Looking at the 4th down play again, I think the fact that the ball hit Benford's outstretched arm is why they didn't throw the flag. He does peak back a couple of times as well as the ball's in the air - though he's definitely not looking back the whole time.
It was actually a good play, and not interference.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Run-heavy game script and not going for it on 4th down at the end

I get going for it on 4th down instead punting, but even advanced stats I think say you kick the FG in that situation. And even in hindsight that extra FG was huge.

And I don’t think it was even that conservative. They ran the ball, but with success and the run on 3rd and 2 was an Allen run which is fine and not conservative.

Reactions: Zman5778

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Here's one minor gripe I have with McDermott (and to be fair, the vast majority of coaches do this and I still don't get it).

I'm assuming the Bills won the toss and deferred. Because everyone wants that "double up" opportunity, and sure, the Bills got it this time so it paid off. But half the time it's the team that receives who gets the last possession of the half so there's no double up, so that's not a sure thing you'll even have that chance.

Meanwhile, by deferring, they have to choose to receive in the second half, leaving the other team to pick the direction. Meaning it's the team who receives first who gets to pick the direction in the 4th quarter. Which when the wind is what it was today, might have been a nice thing to have...

In a dome, or no wind? Defer. When it's windy? Receive and make sure you pick the direction in the second half. And putting Allen and offense out there first isn't going to hurt you, especially if you can score and force the other team to keep playing catch up.
I mean, not only did they double up, but they also turned the game around in the 3rd quarter with the wind. Conditions can change as well.

I think McDermott has been one of the best coaches in the league in terms of time management near the end of the 1st half, so I do value that possible double dip quite a bit more than the wind even on a windy day (which is also not guarenteed to remain windy)

Reactions: HOOats and Zman5778

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
....counting/math is hard. Getting the FG still means it takes a TD to win.

And totally agreed. I think it was either 4th and 3 or at best 4th and a long 2. If it was "Josh into the pile" territory, then go for it. But in this circumstance, I totally agree with the FG call.
I wish I remembered to check the 4th down bot on X in the moment. Now that it's not one of the last 5-6 posts it made I can't see it because I don't have an account :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad