We complain about the NHL a lot but compared to the NBA .......

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Finding the NHL product boring =/= "hating the sport"

And while I don't need to validate my posts on an anonymous message board to a stranger, the NHL simply happens to host the only sports team that I am emotionally attached to, so I will at least watch their games every year

I used to watch neutral contests all the time just for fun, but the league, the officials, the overbearing systems, and the seemingly random outcomes on a game to game basis have squeezed all of the joy out of NHL hockey for me
If you don't like the quality product why bother?

No you don't have to validate yourself I just don't understand why make the time commitment to even post on a forum if you don't like a majority of the product out there. I guess there are the minor leagues and international hockey. You weren't clear why. Not an accusation just curiosity.

Why not commit to a hobby that always gives you joy then?

Also aren't random outcomes fun?

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Didn't LA lose to Detroit? Also when did one team sweep every team to a championship? GSW is looking to do that and probably will. There is a problem with durrant being able to sign with a top team like that there needs to be more talent distribution throughout the league otherwise it's pointless to have a reg season.

I'm rooting for a 4-4-4-4 as it's never been done before and Golden State is that good.

The whining over Durant signing with Golden State is pure jealousy. Same goes to the success they have had the past few years. Compared to Cleveland, that team was actually built the right way. Even after hitting the jackpot.

That just makes other fans even more sour.

What I'll never understand about the NHL is why they continue to fail, decade after decade, in not being able to promote their supposed stars. Much less let the average player show even a shred of personality.

It's a problem when the most outspoken guy in the sport is still a senile Don Cherry.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I'm rooting for a 4-4-4-4 as it's never been done before and Golden State is that good.

The whining over Durant signing with Golden State is pure jealousy. Same goes to the success they have had the past few years. Compared to Cleveland, that team was actually built the right way. Even after hitting the jackpot.

What I'll never understand about the NHL is why they continue to fail, decade after decade, in not being able to promote their supposed stars. Much less let the average player show even a shred of personality.

It's a problem when the most outspoken guy in the sport is still a senile Don Cherry.

Because they aren't charismatic nba stars have fashion and a lot of funny personalities they can't promote what wasn't there even guys like Gretzky in an era so many praise has an personality of sand paper. There are few like Subban and a lot of the foreign European players but that is coached out pretty quick. Yeah I don't like it but it has always been this way nothing new.

Most of you ignore the legit challenges the NHL had with marketing itself I would pick the NBA 100 times of 100 and not because of the game but there is more personality easier to play cheaper can appeal to all groups of people etc.

Also it's not envy it's boring before the season started people said it's GSW to win it and now they will in that case why bother even watching the reg season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you don't like the quality product why bother?

No you don't have to validate yourself I just don't understand why make the time commitment to even post on a forum if you don't like a majority of the product out there. I guess there are the minor leagues and international hockey. You weren't clear why. Not an accusation just curiosity.

Also aren't random outcomes fun? Why not commit to a hobby that always gives you joy then?

Different outcomes based on the varying skill levels of different teams is fun.

Random outcomes based on luck are not fun. There's so much parity in the NHL that nobody can get a real advantage and it comes down to bounces. Luck is always a factor but it's too much in the NHL.

The Penguins have been the second best team in the vast majority of the 20 games they've played in, and they've got a good chance to win the Stanley Cup.

aragon416

Oct 4, 2011
for all the talk about "parity" in the NHL, at the end of the day, we've had the following the last 7 seasons:

2010- Blackhawks
2011- Bruins
2012- Kings
2013- Blackhawks
2014- Kings
2015- Blackhawks
2016- Penguins
2017- Penguins or Predators

and the Bruins were in the finals in 2013 as well.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
for all the talk about "parity" in the NHL, at the end of the day, we've had the following the last 7 seasons:

2010- Blackhawks
2011- Bruins
2012- Kings
2013- Blackhawks
2014- Kings
2015- Blackhawks
2016- Penguins
2017- Penguins or Predators

and the Bruins were in the finals in 2013 as well.

Go back to 2000 and it will be a more diverse group plus a few of those series were extremely close and could have gone either way. The NHL just broke their record for OT games this year that means they do have parity. Parity isn't who wins it's how they win. If there's tension and close results there is parity.

aragon416

Oct 4, 2011

i dont totally agree with the jealously thing. its more so the idea that by jumping to the GSW, Durant ensured that the Warriors are going to be in the finals for the foreseeable future, meaning its just going to be the Cavs vs the Warriors for a few more years. At least when Durant was on OKC, OKC had a chance at beating the Warriors (which they almost did last year).

Plus people don't like how Durant was so close to beating the Warriors (blew a 3-1 lead) and then he jumped to the team that beat him.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The NHL is more popular in the states than in the 80's the most star driven era
(I would say the most star-driven era was the 1990s.)

I often hear that "the NHL is more popular in the USA now than ever before", but... er, is it? Why is it?

Obviously there are a bunch more pro-teams in various US cities now, which I suppose creates a broader casual fan base in more diverse areas, but do you think the sport has a higher profile now than in, say, the 80s and 90s?

wayne-gretzky-great-one.jpg
mario-lemieux.jpg
s-l300.jpg
71M%2BppvhVEL._SY450_.jpg
Pro-Stars-comic-copy.jpg

I feel like the NHL sells more tickets now (obviously generates way more revenue), but that the profile of the sport and, particularly, of its stars, is less than a generation or two ago. But I dunno.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Also it's not envy it's boring before the season started people said it's GSW to win it and now they will in that case why bother even watching the reg season.

The same was said about the Lakers dynasty in the early 00's and no doubt about the Bulls dynasty in the 90's if I bothered to look at the internet back then.

I witnessed the Bulls dynasty first hand and the tail end of Lakers-Celtics before the Pistons finally overtook both teams. Yet, these times are looked upon more fondly opposed to now.

People just like to complain.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
The same was said about the Lakers dynasty in the early 00's and no doubt about the Bulls dynasty in the 90's if I bothered to look at the internet back then.

I witnessed the Bulls dynasty first hand and the tail end of Lakers-Celtics before the Pistons finally overtook both teams. Yet, these times are looked upon more fondly opposed to now.

People just like to complain.

Well I kinda of game my reason why I might of. Because I was a 7 year old kid and kids usually always think their team has a chance plus the rockets did have some good moments. Anyways ironically your statement can sunrise both hfboards and Reddit nba as everyone likes to say it was better back in the day masking their own loss of enjoyment.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
i dont totally agree with the jealously thing. its more so the idea that by jumping to the GSW, Durant ensured that the Warriors are going to be in the finals for the foreseeable future, meaning its just going to be the Cavs vs the Warriors for a few more years. At least when Durant was on OKC, OKC had a chance at beating the Warriors (which they almost did last year).

Plus people don't like how Durant was so close to beating the Warriors (blew a 3-1 lead) and then he jumped to the team that beat him.

Golden State didn't need Durant to make the finals. Much less win it all. But i'm not about to throw shade at them for having the ability to sign him.

Nor him because he is a free agent and that is what they system is designed to do. That's jealousy and fans being bitter that it's not their team.

At least Durant didn't embarrass OKC like LeBron did to Cleveland with a televised special. Only for Cleveland to beg him back several years later :laugh:

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
(I would say the most star-driven era was the 1990s.)

I often hear that "the NHL is more popular in the USA now than ever before", but... er, is it? Why is it?

Obviously there are a bunch more pro-teams in various US cities now, which I suppose creates a broader casual fan base in more diverse areas, but do you think the sport has a higher profile now than in, say, the 80s and 90s?

wayne-gretzky-great-one.jpg
mario-lemieux.jpg
s-l300.jpg
71M%2BppvhVEL._SY450_.jpg
Pro-Stars-comic-copy.jpg

I feel like the NHL sells more tickets now (obviously generates way more revenue), but that the profile of the sport and, particularly, of its stars, is less than a generation or two ago. But I dunno.

Yeah and point is that while he was touted and thrown across the screen and media did it actually generate an increase interest in the sport no. Did get those in urban neighborhoods and southern markets into outside la no. Rather it was him leaving Edmonton and joining LA that got more fans into it and even then that's not that big. He was market like Messi in a way most Americans know him but how many actually watch Barcelona games?

Hockey is just a sport that in reality should have stayed a fringe sport in Canada but was able to grow into something more too many things working against it to be mainstream.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
the NBA has always had superteams.. the celtics/lakers in the 80s, bulls in the 90s, lakers/spurs in the 00s. people love it and they romanticize about it. they love how dominant jordan was, or how dominant the kobe/shaq lakers were, or how awe-inspiring the bird/magic rivalry was

r/NBA complains about everything and anything. the ratings will continue to be there because NBA storylines are 2nd to none

edit: the ratings these finals are even better than the last.. even after the garbage 1st 3 rounds

What separates the NBA from the NHL is their ability to market. The NBA has done an amazing job at marketing the sport for decades. Even though its a boring sport for me personally, and this is coming from someone who loves to play, they absolutely blow the NHL out of the water by promoting their stars to no end and by manipulating the game by making those star players literally untouchable. You can't touch Lebron James. He, in turn, can do whatever he wants. It was the same way with Jordan. Hell, Kobe could take 5 steps before a dunk and not get called. Its all about making people think these players are better than they actually are. If things were called evenly you wouldn't have the star power. I was a huge NBA fan until Chris Bosh left for Miami. That was the last straw for me. These guys don't have the guts to stick it out. People will remember their titles, I'll remember them for bolting with their tail between their legs.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Golden State didn't need Durant to make the finals. Much less win it all. But i'm not about to throw shade at them for having the ability to sign him.

Nor him because he is a free agent and that is what they system is designed to do. That's jealousy and fans being bitter that it's not their team.

At least Durant didn't embarrass OKC like LeBron did to Cleveland with a televised special. Only for Cleveland to beg him back several years later :laugh:

They didn't need it but it sure made them a lot better and really weakened OKC now they only have Westbrook. Durant being there would make the conference finals and maybe semi finals if spurs were healthy competitive. He basically single handily destroyed the western conference balance by himself.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
What separates the NBA from the NHL is their ability to market. The NBA has done an amazing job at marketing the sport for decades. Even though its a boring sport for me personally, and this is coming from someone who loves to play, they absolutely blow the NHL out of the water by promoting their stars to no end and by manipulating the game by making those star players literally untouchable. You can't touch Lebron James. He, in turn, can do whatever he wants. It was the same way with Jordan. Hell, Kobe could take 5 steps before a dunk and not get called. Its all about making people think these players are better than they actually are. If things were called evenly you wouldn't have the star power. I was a huge NBA fan until Chris Bosh left for Miami. That was the last straw for me. These guys don't have the guts to stick it out. People will remember their titles, I'll remember them for bolting with their tail between their legs.

Read what I wrote before there do you really think guys like Crosby have personalities to market in the first place. Hockey is also too expensive, lacks urban attention, doesn't have the shoe fashion line like the NBA, courts more plentiful than rinks and the southern market which obviously is biased against winter sports again is massively inconvienced. I think it's very arrogant to assume the NHL even with better marketing would have a chance to beat out the NBA. Once again name another winter sport that has the popularity of the NHL.

It's like saying that the reason the NBA can't compare with The World Cup is because of marketing. I mean counter strike tournaments have drawn NBA numbers and most people think pro gaming is weird and strange. Marketing can be factor but it's one factor of many I think how they game is enjoyed is a much bigger factor main reason the Winter Olympics will always be second to the summer.

Last edited:

acor

Jan 13, 2012
"The Decisions", "The Returns", twitters, instagrams (so called "personalities", some posters here are whining that NHL lacks it, lol.), and stars who think they are bigger than teams they play for (some even have their own travelling fanbases, lol...)... When I think about NBA, I want to vomit. Thanks Odin for my NHL...

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Read what I wrote before there do you really think guys like Crosby have personalities to market in the first place. Hockey is also too expensive, lacks urban attention, doesn't have the shoe fashion line like the NBA, courts more plentiful than rinks and the southern market which obviously is biased against winter sports again is massively inconvienced. I think it's very arrogant to assume the NHL even with better marketing would have a chance to beat out the NBA. Once again name another winter sport that has the popularity of the NHL.

Does "personality" means making clown of yourself in so called "social media", or saying stupid things at press conferences???

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Why do people care about the "casual fan"? They don't buy memorabilia, they rarely attend games in person...why should we care what they think?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah this is true. And I often think the same about ref's in the NHL. Don't think people who just watch the NHL realize how good the ref's are compared to Europe for example.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
"The NBA is way more popular than the NHL."

Fans of the NBA can be so insufferable. Why should we care that your garbage league has more viewers? If anything the past year has shown us that the unwashed masses will gladly support something putrid and repugnant.

I couldn't care less that the casual bandwagoners that follow basketball are not interested in hockey. In fact as hockey fans we should be thankful that our ticket prices are still reasonable because we do not have such kind of fans. How many of the so called Heat fans traded in their jerseys for Cavs jerseys when Lebron returned to Cleveland? The NBA is a joke and the majority of the fans are a joke. I would rather preserve our sport than allow it to turn into the cesspool that is the NBA. Have fun with your popularity, the NHL becoming more popular would not in any way positively affect my experience as a fan.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
"The NBA is way more popular than the NHL."

Fans of the NBA can be so insufferable. Why should we care that your garbage league has more viewers? If anything the past year has shown us that the unwashed masses will gladly support something putrid and repugnant.

I couldn't care less that the casual bandwagoners that follow basketball are not interested in hockey. In fact as hockey fans we should be thankful that our ticket prices are still reasonable because we do not have such kind of fans. How many of the so called Heat fans traded in their jerseys for Cavs jerseys when Lebron returned to Cleveland? The NBA is a joke and the majority of the fans are a joke. I would rather preserve our sport than allow it to turn into the cesspool that is the NBA. Have fun with your popularity, the NHL becoming more popular would not in any way positively affect my experience as a fan.

Yeah, and you claim that fans of the NBA are insufferable, huh? :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The NBA is a star-driven league, and I love that. They know how to market their stars, they know how to protect their stars, and they know how to give fans the best experiences. Sure, this year may have been building up to a collision course between Golden State and Cleveland, but the NBA almost always has more drama in their playoffs than the NHL. I mean all you have to do is look back at last season. The 73-win Warriors had to come back from down 3-1 just to get to the finals, and then the Cavaliers had to become the first team to ever come back from 3-1 down in the finals to win a championship.

I've always liked the NBA's soft cap system way more than the NHL's hard cap. I think it gives you maximum flexibility while still having to manage a salary cap and giving an owner a chance to say "you know what, let's go for it. I'm all in" or "I just don't see us competing, let's sell off players and contracts."

I hate the NHL's parity. Yes, it's nice to see different teams succeed but the rivalry and history GS/Cleveland are making is incredible. I wish the NHL had that.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I immensely enjoyed the regular season and the first 2 rounds of the NBA playoffs. Journey rather than destination etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad