Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Regarnding Gonchar. Theres no way i would want him on the pens.
MAYBE on a 2-way deal so we can send him down w/o having him count against the cap. Would be nice to have as insurance if Letang goes down.

Otherwise we would have to roll 7 defensemen every game and have him only play the PP. Hes done at the NHL level @ 5v5

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Gonchar might be okay as a really cheap (like league minimum cheap) #7. That's basically it.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Regarnding Gonchar. Theres no way i would want him on the pens.
MAYBE on a 2-way deal so we can send him down w/o having him count against the cap. Would be nice to have as insurance if Letang goes down.

Otherwise we would have to roll 7 defensemen every game and have him only play the PP. Hes done at the NHL level @ 5v5

I would imagine Gonchar refuses to report if he's sent down. So a 2 way deal doesn't do much for them.

But I agree, I don't want Gonchar on the Pens at all, unless it's as a PP coach.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You're still looking at the individual pieces and not how (or if) they can contribute to a larger picture. Them getting bought out is more a matter of their contracts and their respective teams then much else. Much like how Ehrhoff was bought out last summer by Buffalo.

Hodgson scored 35 goals and had 78 points over 120 games in the 2 seasons before last year in Buffalo. Gagner in a bad season on a horrible team still scored 15 goals and 41 points last year. Sure a portion of both of their production is due to being the only option on a bad team and thus they'll get some production solely due to their icetime. However these are NHL level players, and they are players who could help this team. Both are also only 25 yrs old (yes shocking when talking about Gagner). There's literally no downside here. If it doesn't pan out, bury both in the minors. But at a 1m/1yr contract, you could very easily find someone who's good enough and would mesh well with our current roster.

Would I rather have Kessel, Oshie, Skinner or whomever? Absolutely. However odds are we're not going to get someone like that. But failing that, I would absolutely take a shot at a 25 yr old who's a skilled player who hasn't had the success they would have liked while on a crappy team.

Now you are softening your argument a bit so I can't really disagree much. If the options are Gagner or Hodgson on 1 year, 1MM contracts versus Tlusty at 4MM+ or Beleskey at 5MM+ for 5 years, then yeah. I just think there are more options and all indications point to the Pens not doing something too stupid on UFA front. I'd take Frolik at anything under 5MM for 5 years over those stop gaps.

I also believe the Pens are going to go get 1 top 6 winger in a trade. Whether they overpay or not remains to be seen.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I would imagine Gonchar refuses to report if he's sent down. So a 2 way deal doesn't do much for them.

But I agree, I don't want Gonchar on the Pens at all, unless it's as a PP coach.

My guess is that if Gonchar felt like he could no longer contribute, he'd be the first guy to say it and do something about it. I don't think he's the kind of guy who'd sit on an NHL roster just because he can.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea that's not how 2 ways work. You just get paid a different salary in the minors. He'd still need to clear waivers and his cap hit would still count against our NHL cap due to the 35+ rule....I think?

I definitely know that after a certain amount of NHL games played, a two way is pointless due to waivers, it's only a salary difference.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Now you are softening your argument a bit so I can't really disagree much. If the options are Gagner or Hodgson on 1 year, 1MM contracts versus Tlusty at 4MM+ or Beleskey at 5MM+ for 5 years, then yeah. I just think there are more options and all indications point to the Pens not doing something too stupid on UFA front. I'd take Frolik at anything under 5MM for 5 years over those stop gaps.

I also believe the Pens are going to go get 1 top 6 winger in a trade. Whether they overpay or not remains to be seen.

Oh I'm not saying have these guys as our primary targets. I just think that as a low risk cheap signing (and especially Gagner - someone who I thought would work well with Malkin as a RW) it should be something we look into. Hell I'd even look to trade for him on the cheap from Philly if they don't buy him out.

I want more skilled players on this team. I'm tired of seeing Crosby and Malkin stuck with guys like Kunitz, Dupuis or whomever we promote from the bottom 6 to play with them. Gagner/Hodgson/PAP are certainly not catches by any means... but these are absolutely skilled players who if the fit is right could be very good options for us. And just because they didn't work well on their last teams, doesn't mean they can't work well on a different team with a different mix of players.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
My guess is that if Gonchar felt like he could no longer contribute, he'd be the first guy to say it and do something about it. I don't think he's the kind of guy who'd sit on an NHL roster just because he can.

Which is what I was saying. He'd just opt out of his contract if it was between being "Despres'd" for every game or riding the bus in WBS.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yea that's not how 2 ways work. You just get paid a different salary in the minors. He'd still need to clear waivers and his cap hit would still count against our NHL cap due to the 35+ rule....I think?

I definitely know that after a certain amount of NHL games played, a two way is pointless due to waivers, it's only a salary difference.

A good portion of it would (although I'm not sure how much). Adams had a 700k contract, but would have only counted for 600k if he was in the minors.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would definitely take a crack at Sam Gagner. I think with so many forwards potentially moving around, he would be a nice addition at wing or center if surrounded by a line he gels with. Like someone else posted, he's not going to carry a line on his own.

Just to clarify. I want nothing to do with him as a center. His defensive game and faceoff skills suck, and his offensive game isn't good enough to make up for that (like Geno's). But I'd absolutely take a shot at him to be a #2/3 RW.

He's not a priority but if he does get bought out I'd kick the tires on Gagner, yeah.

Defensively he's a better wing but his playmaking works better at center, imo. Either way his versatility is nice for this team. Gives more options.

Gonchar? I don't see a fit because I see Niclas Andersen as our No. 7 D.

MrWilson*

I'm not sure I'd rush into anything at this point, especially not for two old men and an overpriced problem child.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/201...-million-annually-64m-over-eight-years/21632/

O'Reilly wants 64 million over 8 years. This, and the relatively expensive acquisition cost, is what I was afraid of and why I wanted nothing to do with him.
O’Reilly’s camp told the Avs he wanted $64 million over eight years, equaling an $8 million cap hit. O’Reilly is 24, and apparently not thrilled with his $6.2 million salary in 2015-16. He wants to become the only $8 million man under 25

MrWilson*

If he's not spoken for yet, I'd like to see Ward on this team...

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
i'm a leaf fan and i'm rooting that the pens get Kessel. I'm a big Kessel fan and i think he deserves better than the crap he's had to deal with in Toronto. Everything from Rotten Ron wilson to the media. Guy can carry a team and score at a PPG pace with 3rd liners and AHL players (bozak and Crabb). He deserves to play on a team built on offense. Crosby - Kessel and (whomever LW they tossed on their line) would be the most dynamic and entertaining line in the NHL.

I think the offer of Pouliot + 1st + 2 dumps was a fair offer, one i would have taken if i was the leafs brass.

Good luck guys - i hope you get him.

ps - i ran into Crosby last year in Halifax (well his home town Cole Harbour at Subway - the sub shop) and i asked him why he looked familiar. I apologized for forgetting his name because i thought we had grown up together or gone to University together. He gave me an awkward look - like i was crazy - told me who he was and left with his $20 sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad