Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (VAN leads 3-2)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I’m not saying the Oilers are, I’m laughing at the fact Canucks fans think they have an advantage..they don’t
They didn’t have in the regular nor the 6 games in the playoffs

But... they do have the advantage, I even gave you the stats to show that the Canucks are advantaged at 5v5 in the playoffs.

Canucks are 4th in xG% (54.61%), Oilers are 10th (47.43%)
Canucks are 4th in Corsi (52.45%), Oilers are 15th (42.66%)
Canucks are 6th in Fenwick (51.23%), Oilers are 15th (43.32%)
Canucks are 3rd in xGD (+2), Oilers are 10th (-1.06)

Now, you may not think that's important, I'm not so sure it is either as the Oilers have the firepower to ignore stuff like Corsi and Fenwick, but the Canucks definitely do have the advantage.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
But... they do have the advantage, I even gave you the stats to show that the Canucks are advantaged at 5v5 in the playoffs.

Now, you may not think that's important, I'm not so sure it is either as the Oilers have the firepower to ignore stuff like Corsi and Fenwick, but the Canucks definitely do have the advantage.
lol using advanced stats on small sample size is hilarious
TIL the NY Rangers are a terrible ES team

Moose112

Dec 9, 2018
So you ignored all the 5v5 stats I posted in favour of all situations goal differential in a reply about which team is better at ES?

Oilers are +0 ESGD btw, despite scoring 22GF and only having 13GA

Yikes
The things you mentioned are completely useless in a 5 game sample where each team played a single and very different opponent. Which I'm sure you know.

I replied with 82 game samples of each which you said didn't matter because you're trying to make a silly point that even you don't agree with about regular season not mattering.

So I made a similar reducto ad absurdum reply. And here we are.

Reactions: Seachd

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I give the Oilers the odds advantage based on recent playoff experience (last 3 yrs), an injured Demko, and an A+ Oilers powerplay.

That being said, the Caucks are a 50 win team and they won the division for a reason. They will scrape, claw and muck the game up as best they can and if Pettersson gets going I think the Canucks can win this in 7 games.

I'm going to avoid hf for the series. There's a lot of toxic fans that are ruining the perception of the usual fan of both teams. I just want to enjoy the hockey. If the Canucks win it will be euphoria. If the Oilers win I truly hope McDavid can cement a legacy as one of the greats and get a cup. Like I said, if I'm here listening to the toxic culture of fans I probably won't feel that way. If the Canucks lose and I avoid hf I will understand that there's a ton of diehard Oiler fans that just want the same thing I do.

Exciting times indeed I hope we get a good series.

This is probably the best post of this thread

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
lol using advanced stats on small sample size is hilarious
TIL the NY Rangers are a terrible ES team

Are you serious? People have been knocking the Rangers because they've been a terrible ES team all year, they're around 20th in every advanced stat category.

You're clearly not worth responding to further, so have a nice day.

The things you mentioned are completely useless in a 5 game sample where each team played a single and very different opponent. Which I'm sure you know.

I replied with 82 game samples of each which you said didn't matter because you're trying to make a silly point that even you don't agree with about regular season not mattering.

So I made a similar reducto ad absurdum reply. And here we are.

I disagree, I think it's still relevant information. Since it's clear we won't see any agreement, best to just stop talking altogether.

Have a nice day.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Yeah. Very useful with these sample sizes. Especially when they were against completely different teams that play completely differently.

Needless to say, this isn't how you use advanced statistics.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Right but Oilers fans keep telling me that the regular season doesn't matter, so I'm ignoring it like they requested.

Also, we were talking about the playoffs.

Didn't realize you knew every Oiler fan. Congrats on your very large friends circle.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If they meant to say that a 4 game sample size is disingenuous, they're doing an extremely poor job of it. I keep seeing them accidentally say "the regular season doesn't matter".
And from that, you’re pretending that means everything that happened in the entire season.

The other poster was absolutely right - you don’t even believe that, hence the “disingenuous “.

Reactions: Crow and JSlick

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I give the Oilers the odds advantage based on recent playoff experience (last 3 yrs), an injured Demko, and an A+ Oilers powerplay.

That being said, the Caucks are a 50 win team and they won the division for a reason. They will scrape, claw and muck the game up as best they can and if Pettersson gets going I think the Canucks can win this in 7 games.

I'm going to avoid hf for the series. There's a lot of toxic fans that are ruining the perception of the usual fan of both teams. I just want to enjoy the hockey. If the Canucks win it will be euphoria. If the Oilers win I truly hope McDavid can cement a legacy as one of the greats and get a cup. Like I said, if I'm here listening to the toxic culture of fans I probably won't feel that way. If the Canucks lose and I avoid hf I will understand that there's a ton of diehard Oiler fans that just want the same thing I do.

Exciting times indeed I hope we get a good series.
Well said my friend!

May the best team win!

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And from that, you’re pretending that means everything that happened in the entire season.

The other poster was absolutely right - you don’t even believe that, hence the “disingenuous “.

I'm not pretending anything, how can I read their minds? I only know what they say.

I'm sure that some of them actually believe that the regular season is meaningless, why should I interpret that as anything more than regular season nihlism, seems unfair to the others.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Every Oiler fan or a select few?

Like every Canuck fan likes to riot after their team loses?

I never said every Oiler fan, I said that I keep seeing Oiler fans say that.

If this is all because I didn't put the word "some" in front of "Oiler fans" then I can go back and change it for you.

Saying "Canucks fans riot when their team loses in the finals" is correct. Saying "All Canucks fans riot" is incorrect.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I never said every Oiler fan, I said that I keep seeing Oiler fans say that.

If this is all because I didn't put the word "some" in front of "Oiler fans" then I can go back and change it for you.
So it's not relevant, you admit.

Thank you.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
So it's not relevant, you admit.

Thank you.

I don't think you understand at all.

Even in your hypothetical, it is factually correct to say that "Canucks fans riot", just as what I said is correct. It's also just as correct to say that Oiler fans riot, remember 2006?

I shouldn't need to put the word "some" in there for you, you're being weirdly #notallOilerfans about it, I wasn't saying that all Oiler fans say that, I was saying that Oiler fans say it, which is true, many of them do.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If they meant to say that a 4 game sample size is disingenuous, they're doing an extremely poor job of it. I keep seeing them accidentally say "the regular season doesn't matter".
The issue is not so much with the regular season not meaning anything as it is about the 4 games these teams played. The key here is that three were in a 12 game stint that was as bad as almost any since the Oilers decade of darkness. During that period, McDavid was playing hurt, Ekholm was significantly impacted by a hip flexor issue and the fact that he had not had a preseason, and the goaltending was atrocious. They went 2-9-1 with 2.58GF/gm and 4.17GA/gm. The pp was at 23% and the pk was at 70%. It may sound like an excuse but there is no question that that 12 game set was a significant anomaly. From that point on they went 47-18-5 with 3.73 GF/gm 2.66GA/Gm with the pp at over 27% and the pk a little over 81%. During that period the Oilers also lost to the Sharks. The next two times they played the Sharks later in the season the scores were 5-0 and 9-2. Both teams have made significant roster changes since the first month.

The last of the four games was also played with McDavid out and the Oilers on a back to back. the Canucks won fair and square but again, you can't read a lot into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad