Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (VAN leads 3-2)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
As a Nucks fan, Kane does concern me a bit. Hughes is far more mobile than doughty and should evade better, but he had a hard time getting out of the way early in the Nashville series. And no question Kane will hit him late, hope the refs recognize that
Kane had pietrolangelo have a mental break down last year to. Same with doughty this year. His clean hard game gets to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Does anyone know when this series starts? I don’t see anything on NHL.com. What’s the deal? I would think they would start tomorrow and Dallas/Vegas vs Col on Tuesday to keep pace with the east?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Unlike the Kings, Vancouver can actually play defense. And they also have the offense and goaltending. If Demko returns later in the series then Vancouver has a huge advantage in net. But in the meantime ride the Shilov train while this rookie is hot. This will be a great series and will go the distance. McDavid and Drasaitl won't have the time and space that they had vs LA.
I hate to let facts get in the way of your post, but Vancouver allowed more goals than LA this season..

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Sooooooo much pressure on Van. Will the underdog Oilers with terrible defense defeat the team that spanked them in the regular season. Lotta pressure.
I'm not sure the Oilers are underdogs. There seems to be a general consensus that Vancouver needs to address Edmonton's powerplay either by stifling it, or by avoiding it entirely by taking few penalties. If the Canucks can do it I think they win. If they can't I see Edmonton taking it.

The refs could very well determine the outcome of the series. I hope they're on the ball and don't fall for too much diving because I think 5 on 5 favours the Canucks.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
ive had some time to think on this series.

I think Edmonton is the favorite, in terms of like if there are betting odd's, it should favor the Oilers.
But i think Vancouver will win.
If Vancouver wins, they will need one of these things happening.
1. Oilers crumble mentally. They're like a giant wave, big, strong, so much momentum, unstoppable. But like a wave, when it breaks, there's no going back (theory of entropy). We've seen for a few years now, defensive lapses starting to happen in clusters, players get frustrated, confidence gets hurt... they've been better in this area this season so its not LIKELY to happen, but it can happen.
2. I dont have confidence in their goaltending. He'll play like a legit starter... solid NHL netminder, then just suck. is he guaranteed to breakdown this round and play .850 hockey? nope...but there's a chance.
3. Penalties and discipline - I think Vancouver is the more physical team, i also think there are a few players on the oilers who .... aren't the smartest? trying to be kind here. there are a few guys on the Oilers that you can get under the skin of and then they do something stupid. If Vancouver wins in the physicality department and takes fewer penalties than the Oilers, it'll go a long ways to helping them win.

Again, the MONEYLINE should favor the Oil, but i think if one of those three things happen, Van likely wins this..

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'm just wondering: why has their schedule not been released yet? The Rangers & Canes also knew while another series in their conference was still ongoing.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Sooooooo much pressure on Van. Will the underdog Oilers with terrible defense defeat the team that spanked them in the regular season. Lotta pressure.
I just checked,
Vegas is the favorite. the line is at -260 which infers a 72% probability of winning.

This ^ compared with their recent failures in the playoffs means the OIL are the ones under pressure. Vancouver wanst even supposed to make the playoffs.... they won a round, if they're knocked out, the season is still a win and a step in the right direction

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
You've got to think that all the pressure is on Edmonton to advance. Vancouver is playing with house money by having such a successful regular season and winning a round. How that will play into each team's mindset going into the series, well, we'll see. It'll be interesting surely. I'm really looking forward to attempting to watch this series, and more likely than not falling asleep early before the game starts because I can't seem to stay up for late games to save my life. Maybe it's for the best...

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I just checked,
Vegas is the favorite. the line is at -260 which infers a 72% probability of winning.

This ^ compared with their recent failures in the playoffs means the OIL are the ones under pressure. Vancouver wanst even supposed to make the playoffs.... they won a round, if they're knocked out, the season is still a win and a step in the right direction
I'm pretty sure this poster was trying out that new "sarcasm" thing that was recently introduced in Alberta.

They are not great at it yet but they are giving it a go!

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Why is the pressure on Van?

They were questionable to make the playoffs and the oilers were the cup favorites. If Vancouver loses this series, it will be good experience. If Edmonton loses it will be talk of breaking up the core. As a Canucks fan, I want them to win, but if they can’t win using the third string goalie, I wouldn’t be upset. If the Oilers lose… haha, melt down city in Edmonton.

So, who has the pressure here. I actually want to win more to watch Edmonton fans melt down than anything.

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Pressure is all on the Oilers. They’re expecting to be competing for the cup. They’re trying to keep McDrai on the team and anything short of a cup win is not helping the situation. The Oilers are heavy favourites in this series but if they lose to the “lowly” Canucks, oh man, watch out. Shit will burn

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lol he's also 5'9" in his first playoffs. Erry and Kane fighting over who gets dibs on him

He's actually 5'10, but who needs facts or the truth?

Both won't be able to catch him, its sad how you can't see that, Nashville threw three guys at a time at him and he still managed to embarrass them, the fact that your even using a 28 year old Perry as an example here is too funny, like have you just started watching hockey?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I hate to let facts get in the way of your post, but Vancouver allowed more goals than LA this season..
Kings play man on man that doesn't really work in the playoffs. No idea why kings keep playing that stupid system that doesn't work.

If you look at recent history it's zone schemes that are generally more successful in the playoffs. Not saying the Canucks will have more success but it's much different look than what the kings continue to serve up.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
So elusive, he got crunched multiple times against Nashville.
Yah a few times they caught him and then he responded by setting up goals, hmmmm.

They also had to often throw two or even three guys at him at a time to catch him, the Oilers don't play that way.

Any other baseless inferences you want me to squash?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad