Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (VAN leads 3-2)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah if Demko is net, advantage Canucks. Oilers fans talk tough, but quietly they are relieved that Demko is injured. And they should be. He was the second best goalie in the league this year.
The only goalie I'm worried about is Skinner, tbh.

Reactions: soothsayer

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
The idea that Vancouver is playing with house money isn't true as they were one of the most aggressive teams and selling their future at the deadline

They might have exceeded expectations, but mainly because they underperformed previous seasons. You don't just go trading 1st round picks for rentals to get playoff experience - what happens when you're ready? You got no farm and no picks.

Vancouver's core isn't a young core that's on their ELC. Their core is even older than Edmonton's. They were going for it this year.

The Canucks made zero deadline moves, they made a trade in January and one in December

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Petterson has 3 points and is -2 in 6 games. McDavid has 12 and is +3 in 5. I’m not exactly a math major but the stats don’t lie.

Petterson has the same amount of points these playoffs as Andrew Cogliano. A 36 year old 4th liner…
Except we played a defensive hard nosed Preds that would lower opponents offensive output. LA played like crap against Oilers, no defensive structure, boring 1-3-1 that has been proven to be ineffective against Oilers while they had terrible goaltending. Preds is 10 times the team LA is honestly

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah if Demko is net, advantage Canucks. Oilers fans talk tough, but quietly they are relieved that Demko is injured. And they should be. He was the second best goalie in the league this year.
Don't see demko coming back this one. Personally believe the earliest we'd see him, if that, is 3rd Rd.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The idea that Vancouver is playing with house money isn't true as they were one of the most aggressive teams and selling their future at the deadline

They might have exceeded expectations, but mainly because they underperformed previous seasons. You don't just go trading 1st round picks for rentals to get playoff experience - what happens when you're ready? You got no farm and no picks.

Vancouver's core isn't a young core that's on their ELC. Their core is even older than Edmonton's. They were going for it this year.
I would be more concerned about Leafs core and how they keep going for 1st round exists every year if i were you

Reactions: soothsayer and Grub

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
In the land of rioting after dropping two series leads in the Finals, 0 Cups is best.

Hey, I said half of you, to be fair.

I know some of you have sense enough to hate the Canucks. :D

Half my friends are for Vancouver and other half are for Edmonton, and than there are just who just want the teams to beat each other up so badly that they get thrashed in the next round.

My wife’s family is from BC and my father in law called me and said “who are you cheering for :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er”(not lying lol, I think he was drinking), I think my wife told him and that is why he called me a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er lol,

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Ok but here's the real question tho for both fan bases, what would you rather see? Boston lose tm or Toronto? Frankly I feel like this is a win win scenario for all parties not involved 😂

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
Except we played a defensive hard nosed Preds that would lower opponents offensive output. LA played like crap against Oilers, no defensive structure, boring 1-3-1 that has been proven to be ineffective against Oilers while they had terrible goaltending. Preds is 10 times the team LA is honestly
Idk, didn’t seem to lower the Oilers offensive output much this season. One decent game but pumped the other two.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 2

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Actually untrue, the Oilers faded in both of the games where they lost badly and were (analytically) demonstrably better in both of the games that were tied or close for the majority.
So if these stats are be all end that you felt the need to post them why did the oilers lose all four games.
I watched all four games and we were better in all four. Does that matter now ? Nope. But the amount of oiler fans acting like you guys have any right to talk shit is hilarious since until these game start and it's proved otherwise, we owned you guys and how we played against Nashville, or how you played against the kings, is meaningless.

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
Ok but here's the real question tho for both fan bases, what would you rather see? Boston lose tm or Toronto? Frankly I feel like this is a win win scenario for all parties not involved 😂
Toronto losing is fun for some reasons but Boston losing is fun for others. I’m happy either way. I doubt either of them makes Florida sweat as they look like one of the 3 (IMO) favorites out of the east (FLA, CAR, NYR).

Reactions: rea and Oilhawks

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The bolded though is all things the Oilers have done very well this year and its blatantly obvious to anyone who watches the team. They aren't perfect in their defensive end, but no team is. Thats by far the weakest part of their defensive game, but its improved a lot from where it used to be. Their neutral zone and back checking D is very good.

And other teams' shaky in-zone defence and puck management oopsies is the thing that Vancouver has feasted the most on all year. That's the reason they were able to maintain such a superlative, tremendously enviable, sky high PDO.
:banana:

Canucks aren't a monster transition team with a ton of great neutral zone puck carriers and trap breakers. They don't have much standout speed there at all. They have to really "climb the ladder" through the neutral zone with a lot of east-west passing to be effective that way. Which tightly structure defensive teams like Nashville played in the playoffs, Los Angeles plays, etc. absolutely stifle by clogging the middle of the ice and denying any east-west play.

They rely on other teams making mistakes coming the other way aggressively and particularly breaking out of their own zone ambitiously, to generate a lot of their prime scoring opportunities off turnovers and defensive posture. That's a huge part of their primary mode of generating offense at even strength. Counterattacking against sloppy neutral zone puck management, and forechecking to generate quick turnaround offensive plays off turnovers. The other part is just cycling the puck around and grinding down low until they eventually mash it into the net.

Both of which are postured much better as a matchup vs Edmonton who are not particularly strong or overly disciplined in. But didn't really serve them super well offensively vs a very disciplined and responsible Preds team playing with a ton of structure and repeatedly taking the "safe out". Playing the same "chip it in, chip it out" game the Canucks do.

Where again...the backchecking is far less of a factor against a Canucks team that don't really attack that way in the first place. But caused tons of problems for the Kings who rely a lot on collapsing into their shell and then trying to skate it up and attack as a unit that way. It's just a totally different sort of matchup between very different systems and how they all interact.

Reactions: drax0s

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
And Canucks beat oilers 8-1 and 6-2 in their sweep

And other teams' shaky in-zone defence and puck management oopsies is the thing that Vancouver has feasted the most on all year. That's the reason they were able to maintain such a superlative, tremendously enviable, sky high PDO.
:banana:

Canucks aren't a monster transition team with a ton of great neutral zone puck carriers and trap breakers. They don't have much standout speed there at all. They have to really "climb the ladder" through the neutral zone with a lot of east-west passing to be effective that way. Which tightly structure defensive teams like Nashville played in the playoffs, Los Angeles plays, etc. absolutely stifle by clogging the middle of the ice and denying any east-west play.

They rely on other teams making mistakes coming the other way aggressively and particularly breaking out of their own zone ambitiously, to generate a lot of their prime scoring opportunities off turnovers and defensive posture. That's a huge part of their primary mode of generating offense at even strength. Counterattacking against sloppy neutral zone puck management, and forechecking to generate quick turnaround offensive plays off turnovers. The other part is just cycling the puck around and grinding down low until they eventually mash it into the net.

Both of which are postured much better as a matchup vs Edmonton who are not particularly strong or overly disciplined in. But didn't really serve them super well offensively vs a very disciplined and responsible Preds team playing with a ton of structure and repeatedly taking the "safe out". Playing the same "chip it in, chip it out" game the Canucks do.

Where again...the backchecking is far less of a factor against a Canucks team that don't really attack that way in the first place. But caused tons of problems for the Kings who rely a lot on collapsing into their shell and then trying to skate it up and attack as a unit that way. It's just a totally different sort of matchup between very different systems and how they all interact.

This is a very well-written piece of self-deception. Well done

• Haha
Reactions: McFlyingV

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So if these stats are be all end that you felt the need to post them why did the oilers lose all four games.
I watched all four games and we were better in all four. Does that matter now ? Nope. But the amount of oiler fans acting like you guys have any right to talk shit is hilarious since until these game start and it's proved otherwise, we owned you guys and how we played against Nashville, or how you played against the kings, is meaningless.
Its also hilarious how all oilers fans keep pointing to jets series as why regular season head to head matchup doesnt matter while they post regular season stats or how they outscored preds in regular season.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Skinner and Campbell were the worst goalies in the league. Or were at least tied with what Carolina and NJ were trotting out for a couple of months. A repeat of that is Vancouver's biggest chance in this series imo.

edit: okay I forgot about Forsberg

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
And Canucks beat oilers 8-1 and 6-2 in their sweep
Well, good thing we play the games than right? If Canuck fans are going to argue that the Preds are the defensive class of the league based on one playoff series I think it’s fair to argue they aren’t based on one regular season series.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
People really underrating Silovs. He could very well be the next cam ward

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Its also hilarious how all oilers fans keep pointing to jets series as why regular season head to head matchup doesnt matter while they post regular season stats or how they outscored preds in regular season.
You're really struggling with the concept that different Oilers fans post different things and you're essentially trying to argue with people on the premise that every Oilers fan has the same belief and has posted the exact same thing. It's quite baffling.

• Haha
Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad