Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (VAN leads 3-2)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
So was the Edmonton LA series. Edmonton was actually blocking the most shots out of the 4 teams too. Edmonton was also laying a lot of hits too. LA actually tried to play a structured game but Edmonton was able to break it apart. Edmonton actually had a harder time with LA when they played a more open game.

Canucks play nothing like the Kings. Oilers should be favoured, but I wouldn't take much from either first-round opponent.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
He isnt a fighter and we dont want him to fight anyway. Thats what Zadorov and Joshua are for if it comes to that
I'm sure the Oilers players are terrified of the Hall Gill of Andy Suttons and the guy who got his ass kicked by a 40 year old Mark Giordano. Why do you keep doing this to yourself.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I watched 4/5 games, I don't think LA did as good a job defending as Nashville did.

Edmonton is a faster team than Vancouver which factors in it but LA kinda lost their identity while Nashville made everything a life & death battle. Fronting every shot, taking away the crease on every possession, phenomenal goaltending in the big moments. Nashville was more of an offensive team in the regular season but I think they were better defensively in the playoffs than LA.

I guess we'll see who's right/wrong (new series are also a total reset), but Nashville was much more impressive as a unit than LA imo.
I thought Nashville looked awful in that series and I'm sure a lot of fans who watched it would agree. They basically had to turtle all series because they have nothing going for them offensively.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Ahhh
Now it's with McD. Of course. Nothing. Which gives all the idiots from both fanbases to STFU until they do
You think i was talking about the last 100 years?? 🤣 in that case the Vancouver millionaires won cup before WW2.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You keep refering to jets vs. Avs. Avs have a championship pedigree and winning culture that Edmonton lacks. Why you think Oilers still havent gone to finals? Avs can turn it on at will, Oilers arent even in the same stratosphere as Avs or Knights

I think all this changes this year, I remember when MacKinnon was bitching that he has not won anything and he was asked if he was overthinking and they should just f*** it and win.

It has to start somewhere.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Canucks play nothing like the Kings. Oilers should be favoured, but I wouldn't take much from either first-round opponent.
Oh for sure. They are very different teams. And the regular season series I wouldn’t take much from either. Playoff hockey and regular season hockey (especially early season hockey) is entirely different.
Both teams have skill that can punish, Vancouver had a good defence and Edmontons is far better than it gets credit for.
Edmonton plays a very physical brand of hockey in the playoffs compared to the regular season and that could shock Vancouver if they aren’t prepared.

Reactions: TruGr1t

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Every time somebody tries to tell me how good Nashville was defensively I think of that jpg where it was 3 Canucks alone in front of Saros.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oh for sure. They are very different teams. And the regular season series I wouldn’t take much from either. Playoff hockey and regular season hockey (especially early season hockey) is entirely different.
Both teams have skill that can punish, Vancouver had a good defence and Edmontons is far better than it gets credit for.
Edmonton plays a very physical brand of hockey in the playoffs compared to the regular season and that could shock Vancouver if they aren’t prepared.

Honestly, just hoping for an entertaining series after that Nashville slog. These teams should at least deliver that.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver D is huge and more physical than the LA defensive muffins Oilers went through. Canuck are huge in the back end and all play physical except Hughes. Zadorov 6'6, Myers 6'8, Cole 6'3, Soucy 6'5, Juulsen 6'6 etc. They will box out Hymen and beat him up if he even touches the blueline lol

Quite frankly, i really doubt that's even the sort of matchup the Canucks seek out defensively against McDavid and his tag-team buddy Hyman. I'd bet a fair bit that they actually try to use the same strategy they did with the regular season...getting Hughes-Hronek out there against McDavid line whenever they can at even strength.

Not only is he one of the few in the league who can he skate well enough to keep up and mount some resistance...the best way to keep McDavid from scoring, is the keep the puck away from him. Force him to play defence and forecheck and puck retrieval. There are very few (if any) defencemen in the league this year who are better at simply...having the puck on their stick than Hughes. I don't recall the actual number, but i believe Hughes individual "Time of Possession" absolutely blew the doors off pretty much every other defenceman in the league. So if you can chase that matchup, any minutes that Captain Quin has the puck, are minutes that McDavid doesn't have the puck. Which is how you really want to defend against him.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Nashville did a better job true but they were also playing against a team who didn’t have much experience breaking apart teams like that in the playoffs. It’s a mix of both.

No one can break apart teams like the Oilers high-end to be fair.

Outside of Colorado, Pettersson/Miller/Hughes are about as good as it gets for the normie teams (despite Petey not playing great this series), but McDavid is at another level, he makes teams scramble apart by himself.

I guess its just more a credit to Nashville, not to say EDM wouldn't have beaten Nashville or anything but they really did a phenomenal job in the middle of the ice. I think they made it harder on Van than LA did on Edm, just my opinion.

Reactions: biturbo19

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Can't wait! All the pressure, and I mean ALL the pressure, is on the Oilers who have failed miserably in the playoffs year after year. They at least will feel like they're the favourites, but mostly in the bad ways (pressure). This despite the Canucks whipping them pretty good during the season and generally being a better team in the season as a whole.

I'd feel better if we had Demko but I think the Canucks are confident against this team. Our 3rd string goalie is still better than the oilers goalie.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’ve seen oilers fans shit talking him all season lmao
That was probably me. He’s a gamer in the Playoffs though, which is all anyone wants out of him anyways. He’s like a reverse Petterson in that sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad