Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Dal in 7

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Game 2 is going to be the battle of the 1-1-3 vs the Avs absolute refusal to dump and chase. From the mid point of the 3rd, Stars adjusted to just sit back and trap. The Avs go frustrated and made mistakes. This is what led to Dallas controlling the last half of the period and OT. I'd expect Dallas to heavily lean into this style for game 2 and try to counter attack the Avs. Avs will need to dump and chase or be especially proficient on the long stretch passes.
I trust Bednar and co to adjust also though. It'll be a hell of a series. Whoever wins this series wins the cup IMO

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I trust Bednar and co to adjust also though. It'll be a hell of a series. Whoever wins this series wins the cup IMO
There will be adjustments for sure (the attacking the middle of the ice to start the 3rd was clearly one), but Bednar is more of a 'force your will' sort of coach. You stick to the system and overpower the other team. Deboer is more of tactical adjustment coach who makes a lot of changes on the fly. Pros and cons to each for sure, but Bednar's plan is really about execution more than anything else.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Looks like they re-added the assists to Nuke's goal. So that was another 2 point night for MacK. I'm really surprised so many people are complaining about his numbers. I think he's been creating a ton of chances for his line. He's tied 3rd in points right now with Mikko (both 11) and they're only behind Makar and McDavid (both 12).

Mikko is the one I feel can drastically up his game. There's no denying that he putting up points, but I don't feel like he's moving his feet, fighting for the puck, or using his big frame to bully people like he has in the past.

Makar has been more than fantastic. I know people want to nit-pick his defensive game, but as long as he's not turning the puck over with bad passes through the middle (like he seemed to do a bunch in the regular season) I'm good. 👍

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Mikko is the one I feel can drastically up his game. There's no denying that he putting up points, but I don't feel like he's moving his feet, fighting for the puck, or using his big frame to bully people like he has in the past.

At this point, we shouldn’t even be surprised anymore. This is Mikko Rantanen. Stand around and glide, lots of late stickwork slashing and hooking, then moments of brilliance. That seeing-eye wrister off the crossbar last night was a thing of beauty, too. He is just so damn lazy for 50-60% of his shifts, that’s the problem.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, I dunno if this team is as good as the 2022 team but they’re definitely more exciting, in both good and bad ways.

Not much to add really. Hope they tighten things up a little bit defensively and I'm fairly confident Mittelstadt will find his legs again, but overall you can't ask for better than that.

I was a little concerned with Parise, he looked like he was chasing the play a lot of and just wasn't very effective, but then again Mitts was off his game as well. I'll attribute it to rust and hope they take it to Dallas next game, because if they do I think the Stars are in HUGE trouble.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A $91m cap hit does that. :sarcasm:

When Landy and Drouin come(s) back, it'll be very hard to teams to match the middle 6 and win consistently.

Look at you slipping this in at the bottom of a page like you thought nobody would notice.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
At this point, we shouldn’t even be surprised anymore. This is Mikko Rantanen. Stand around and glide, lots of late stickwork slashing and hooking, then moments of brilliance. That seeing-eye wrister off the crossbar last night was a thing of beauty, too. He is just so damn lazy for 50-60% of his shifts, that’s the problem.
It's just so disappointing. Last year when MacK went down Mikko stepped up and was huge for us for a long part of the season. He looked remarkable. If we had that guy right now, our top line would be the three-point leaders in the playoffs right now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's just so disappointing. Last year when MacK went down Mikko stepped up and was huge for us for a long part of the season. He looked remarkable. If we had that guy right now, our top line would be the three-point leaders in the playoffs right now.
If he steps up now and for the rest of the playoffs, I won't care about anything else.

Reactions: sethro109

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
I just wonder if it destroyed him. We heard he didn't work out much over summer ... maybe that's why. During the season, he knew he had to preserve what little he had left. Who knows, but if so, hoping he can recover next year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Game 2 is going to be the battle of the 1-1-3 vs the Avs absolute refusal to dump and chase. From the mid point of the 3rd, Stars adjusted to just sit back and trap. The Avs go frustrated and made mistakes. This is what led to Dallas controlling the last half of the period and OT. I'd expect Dallas to heavily lean into this style for game 2 and try to counter attack the Avs. Avs will need to dump and chase or be especially proficient on the long stretch passes.
If DeBoer wants to sit back and wait, I want Bednar to just tell us to sit back an mock them like the Flyers did with the Lightning back in the day.

They are on the home ice, if they want to do that to their fans then be my quest.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If DeBoer wants to sit back and wait, I want Bednar to just tell us to sit back an mock them like the Flyers did with the Lightning back in the day.

They are on the home ice, if they want to do that to their fans then be my quest.

That would actually result in the Avs getting a delay of game penalty. :laugh:

The 1-1-3 operates differently though than the 1-3-1. Some similar concepts, but the first guy is typically far more aggressive in the 1-1-3.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That would actually result in the Avs getting a delay of game penalty. :laugh:

The 1-1-3 operates differently though than the 1-3-1. Some similar concepts, but the first guy is typically far more aggressive in the 1-1-3.
What brings me solace, is that if they force us to do dump and chase, we have a roster that is capable of doing that as well. We can battle for the puck down low no problem, not worried about that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What brings me solace, is that if they force us to do dump and chase, we have a roster that is capable of doing that as well. We can battle for the puck down low no problem, not worried about that.
The Avs CAN do it, they frequently refuse to do so and will force plays which results in icing or turnovers. The turnovers is what Dallas will be counting on and will use it to counter attack. OT is a perfect example of what Dallas will be trying to do.

This is just the cat and mouse of a series. Going to be really interesting to watch.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

9f0c1bb1-7c2f-4014-97d4-9572235017ac_text.gif

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I hate how accurate this feels.

Given how the 3rd period was sort of a toss-up (but sure felt like leaning toward Dallas) and the OT was a total Dallas domination, I couldn't help but be reminded of that Game 2 OT victory against Vegas in 2021. Like in that game, Colorado really was lucky to get out of that game w/ a 2-0 series lead, but then they promptly got embarrassed in 4 straight games.

In 2022 when there were OT games, while I was nervous and stressed out, I don't recall truly feeling like "well they're not gonna get this one..." They always seemed like they were in it, even though they had that one OT loss against STL (f***ing Kuemper and that goddamn Bozak softie)
This worried me as well. The 2022 team even in its close games and losses mostly dominated but Kuemper let in some stinkers.

The Avs played a really lousy end to that game. Was it because Dallas had adapted using their DeBoer magic?

We'll find out in two days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad