Post-Game Talk: WCQF GAME #1: Canucks 5, Blues 2 (Horvat x2, Pettersson, Stecher, Miller)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Someone, or some two, needs to step up and send Perron a message in game 2.

It was beyond brutal what he did to EP and Huggy all game..

Brutal..

this is really a situation where someone needs to steer perron going at full speed right into myers' elbow, the way niedermayer used to steer guys right into scott stevens. then myers can be like, i'm seven feet tall i can't help it if this guy skates into my elbow

we'd lose the epic brawl that would ensue, but at least marky would pound the snot out of binnington

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mbnpgvgkqog51.jpg

Technically Sutter has always ramped it up at the end of the season when the team was out of the playoffs and needed to improve their spot in the standings so they wouldn't get as good a draft pick... so who knew that would carry over into the playoffs :laugh:

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't know if I'm optimistic enough to think we see Toffoli this series. Did we even get an update on him? About anything?

Sometime this week or next is what I heard on the radio but who knows.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Technically Sutter has always ramped it up at the end of the season when the team was out of the playoffs and needed to improve their spot in the standings so they wouldn't get as good a draft pick... so who knew that would carry over into the playoffs :laugh:

God I hated that. When I was cheering tank so hard all season and then the random scrubs decided to show up at the end and hurt the Canucks draft position.

Reactions: Indiana

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I was tempted to post every mistake he made, but thought better of it. If people don’t see it by now, they never will. Myers is so mistake prone. So unsteady.

He’s going to have to pick up his actual hockey game, not just rely on his ability to cross check.

Do it anyways, I’d love to see a compilation.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

actual lol

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
this is really a situation where someone needs to steer perron going at full speed right into myers' elbow, the way niedermayer used to steer guys right into scott stevens. then myers can be like, i'm seven feet tall i can't help it if this guy skates into my elbow

we'd lose the epic brawl that would ensue, but at least marky would pound the snot out of binnington
I hear ya, and I also understand the 'cerebral' system the Nucks used tonight..
But...
Something needs to be done.

I'm hoping the refs will keep an eagle eye on this, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Overall I thought the team deserved the win. Some real key performances in this one. Hate how the refs let Blues mug the Canucks once the Canucks got the lead. So call game management sucks. Canucks wanted the younger players to get some playoff experience and they are getting it up close and personal. Had little to no hope going in and now, I guess, I have a glimmer.

Good

Horvat - had a monster game. One on the very best performances of anybody in the play-in/playoffs to date. Leader in all ways in this one.

Hughes - wore down a bit late (and was rightfully given less ice time with the team ahead) but overall again outstanding. His passing is just as good as his skating.

Stecher - great to see him get one for Pops - and huge goal as well. Played well in every area of the ice and if had not been for Hughes was the best d-man for the team.

Markstorm - hate seeing him run around since that is usually the prelude to trouble. However, didn't turn out that way and he was very solid.

Pettersson -real nice goal and looked a lot more dangerous overall. Took a beating

Sutter - basically had to carry his line. Real smart in moving the puck and showed good offensive speed.

Tanev - not as good as the play-in and got caught flat-footed on the one goal. Couldn't rush the puck as much against the Blues as he did the Wild and and started moving it with passes more. Did a good job at the offensive blue line and was important defensively

Not Good

Virtanen - ugh. If this was a test to see who would show up to the playoffs Virtanen has badly flunked. Could say he hasn't even shown up for the test. Always lets the puck or the situation play him. Sits and waits for passes get to him. Gets standing around and seems surprised and unready when the play moves to his area. Point cover tonight was damn awful and could never get pressure on the puck in any zone. And love how, in the middle of shifts, he makes for the bench and the team gets caught up in a confused line change. Player has lost all confidence and doesn't have the mental toughness to find that on his own. Don't want to call him a knucklehead but that might not be far off the mark

Others

Miller - could see where someone might rate him good but to me still too many random and sloppy passes in his game. However, was improved

Eriksson - being a helpful player. Getting into tough areas he usually avoids and showing some speed. Be great if he could start putting chances away

Pearson - worked around the edges ok but did not have a huge impact in the run of the play

Edler - lack of foot quickness didn't allow him to get to the puck on occasion and he got backed in by outside speed. However did a lot of heavy lifting deep in his zone

Boeser - lugging some in this game and looked a little too much like the Boeser we saw too often during the season. That was the source of all the trade talk and you hope Boeszer can get his wheels going better than this.

Myers - tended to hang on to the puck too much and not moving it that well. Lay back on defense which I guess was the plan against the Blues. Think Myers is better when he is more proactive

McEwen - whirling dervish out there. Good for creating a degree of chaos out there and he did create some scoring chances. Hopefully can learn to use his speed and size in a more organized way. Some great natural talent but it needs to harnessed better

Don't think the from a box and ice the puck immediately is the best way to kill off games. Not really working in these playoffs. I always think it is better to get pressure on the puck. Last couple of minutes were too panicked IMO.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Also:
Watching Craig Berube's post game....

I think we have a smarter coaching staff. :)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know if I'm optimistic enough to think we see Toffoli this series. Did we even get an update on him? About anything?

He hasn’t left the bubble. It means that his injury isn’t serious enough to shut him down for the year.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Overall I thought the team deserved the win. Some real key performances in this one. Hate how the refs let Blues mug the Canucks once the Canucks got the lead. So call game management sucks. Canucks wanted the younger players to get some playoff experience and they are getting it up close and personal. Had little to no hope going in and now, I guess, I have a glimmer.

Good

Horvat - had a monster game. One on the very best performances of anybody in the play-in/playoffs to date. Leader in all ways in this one.

Hughes - wore down a bit late (and was rightfully given less ice time with the team ahead) but overall again outstanding. His passing is just as good as his skating.

Stecher - great to see him get one for Pops - and huge goal as well. Played well in every area of the ice and if had not been for Hughes was the best d-man for the team.

Markstorm - hate seeing him run around since that is usually the prelude to trouble. However, didn't turn out that way and he was very solid.

Pettersson -real nice goal and looked a lot more dangerous overall. Took a beating

Sutter - basically had to carry his line. Real smart in moving the puck and showed good offensive speed.

Tanev - not as good as the play-in and got caught flat-footed on the one goal. Couldn't rush the puck as much against the Blues as he did the Wild and and started moving it with passes more. Did a good job at the offensive blue line and was important defensively

Not Good

Virtanen - ugh. If this was a test to see who would show up to the playoffs Virtanen has badly flunked. Could say he hasn't even shown up for the test. Always lets the puck or the situation play him. Sits and waits for passes get to him. Gets standing around and seems surprised and unready when the play moves to his area. Point cover tonight was damn awful and could never get pressure on the puck in any zone. And love how, in the middle of shifts, he makes for the bench and the team gets caught up in a confused line change. Player has lost all confidence and doesn't have the mental toughness to find that on his own. Don't want to call him a knucklehead but that might not be far off the mark

Others

Miller - could see where someone might rate him good but to me still too many random and sloppy passes in his game. However, was improved

Eriksson - being a helpful player. Getting into tough areas he usually avoids and showing some speed. Be great if he could start putting chances away

Pearson - worked around the edges ok but did not have a huge impact in the run of the play

Edler - lack of foot quickness didn't allow him to get to the puck on occasion and he got backed in by outside speed. However did a lot of heavy lifting deep in his zone

Boeser - lugging some in this game and looked a little too much like the Boeser we saw too often during the season. That was the source of all the trade talk and you hope Boeszer can get his wheels going better than this.

Myers - tended to hang on to the puck too much and not moving it that well. Lay back on defense which I guess was the plan against the Blues. Think Myers is better when he is more proactive

McEwen - whirling dervish out there. Good for creating a degree of chaos out there and he did create some scoring chances. Hopefully can learn to use his speed and size in a more organized way. Some great natural talent but it needs to harnessed better

Don't think the from a box and ice the puck immediately is the best way to kill off games. Not really working in these playoffs. I always think it is better to get pressure on the puck. Last couple of minutes were too panicked IMO.
Weiser's clap, and Weiser's drink on me! lol

Well said.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The best comment was some guy saying "Wow, we are about to lose to that team:laugh:"
I was cracking up also, because 2 seconds later Horvat walked Dunn :laugh:
oh man that move by horvat was great. he reminded me of A YOUNG jonathan toews who did the excat same thing to a defender when he was a rookie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and Ozone

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Pearson is a weird case. He seems to always be popping up on the scoresheet but doesn’t necessarily stand out. I like his game in general and he seems to be that playoff type guy.
we need guys like him. he could be quiet 1 game and bam he's striking. hopefully tyler toffoli is healthy and healed up, if van is gonna really take their scoring depth to another level. line 2 between the 2/3rds of the 70s line and bo horvat centering OH man. oppositions would be crying for mercy.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
oh man that move by horvat was great. he reminded me of A YOUNG jonathan toews who did the excat same thing to a defender when he was a rookie.
When KB3 said that, I cheered!

But, that is a tough act to follow..
Can I say I am not a fan of Toews? Maybe.

But, Dayum, do I respect him (insert anchorman gif, ginger)

Reactions: Indiana and David71

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Boeser picked up a cheap 2nd assist on Stecher’s weak goal and another assist on a late garbage time PP goal. He didn’t have a scoring chance tonight and was slow and completely invisible at ES.

i really liked boeser's heads up play there to hold the zone after horvat disrupted st louis' breakout then one hand it pearson with two blues converging on him. he certainly had his usual quiet game but that was one of his customary 2-3 moments of brilliance a game where you're like, if this guy can put it together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad