AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: Youre a prospect until youre 30 and youll like it!

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
AJ Maclean (son of Paul) is a guy that followed Dubas from the Soo to Toronto. Currently with Syracuse as an assistant. Has a lot of experience as an assistant, but none as a HC. I could see him finding his way over to the Baby Pens in some capacity.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
AJ Maclean (son of Paul) is a guy that followed Dubas from the Soo to Toronto. Currently with Syracuse as an assistant. Has a lot of experience as an assistant, but none as a HC. I could see him finding his way over to the Baby Pens in some capacity.
Another candidate would be Eric Wellwood, who was Toronto’s ECHL affiliate head coach and was promoted to Marlies assistant last summer, but he’s been out all season on medical leave so not sure if/when he’ll return.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One is out of a contract the other is about to head into an extension. There is your reasoning
Most of the ACs are also out of contracts. I am reasonably sure we'll see them all back.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Sullivan will be conducting the hiring search for WB/S' coaches personally.

Reactions: farscape1

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Most of the ACs are also out of contracts. I am reasonably sure we'll see them all back.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Sullivan will be conducting the hiring search for WB/S' coaches personally.
Spezza is leading the search.

And I'm pretty confident that the only reason WBS did anything of note this year is because Dubas infused it with some older talent. Poulin was the only prospect to finish in top five in points on the team, and he missed serious time.

Forrest sucks and it's a good thing he's gone.

Hopefully Reirden and Vellucci join him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Being that they didn’t let go of Brookbank perhaps they like him and will keep him on? Or maybe he’s just still under contract IDK.

But having some NHL assistant coaching experience is a plus.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And I'm pretty confident that the only reason WBS did anything of note this year is because Dubas infused it with some older talent. Poulin was the only prospect to finish in top five in points on the team, and he missed serious time.

I don't know. We could hire someone that sucks more!

Reactions: Jacob

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What I find interesting in the announcement is that Spezza will be leading the search, given that, technically, Erik Heasley is still the GM of the AHL Penguins.

Not sure what it means, it's just interesting that the GM of the AHL team isn't leading the coaching search.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020

If you fire a JD Forrest ... you have to find the next JD Forrest...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I forget if someone already mentioned Paul McFarland for the WB/S job or if it was A.J. MacLean but McFarland, being just let go by Seattle, might be a good candidate. He holds seminars for coaches in developmental levels that seem to focus on teaching offensive skills from like, a group perspective. Like how to best execute odd-man rushes and stuff. Part of his spiel seems to be that the offensive side of the game should be taught and coached with as much attention to detail as the defense. Seems like a smart guy, and he’s my age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad