Watch how the Leafs tighten things up come playoff time....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's no secret that TEAM DEFENCE has been our problem all year long. But do we really lack the guys to change that, with the playoffs just around the corner? I think we have enough good two-way forwards to completely change that when needed.

- Bozak missed a bunch of time, and as soon as he came back, we started playing better again. He's a good two-way Centre, and will make a difference.

- Bolland should make a big difference to our ability to play team defence. Who did Chicago have on the ice with less than a minute left to play, in a TIED game, in game 6 of the finals? Dave Bolland, that's who. He wasn't there for his offence, although he took care of that business nicely.

- Kulemin is probably our best two-way player and has been coming on lately.

- McLement, when not relied on to be a 1st line Centre like he was when all three of Bozak, Bolland and Kadri were out earlier in the season, is a very effective defensive forward.

- Clarkson's toughness and "heart" make him someone designed for the post-season. He's had a bad year, but if previous post-seasons with Jersey are any indication(remember him scoring 3 game winners with a broken foot in 2011?) then look for him to come alive.

- Phaneuf is our best defenceman, by far. He's a +19 on a team known for it's shoddy defensive play. Think about that, Phaneuf haters.

- Gleason & Gunnarsson are good guys to have in the playoffs. Watch for them to get more ice time, and for Rielly and Gardiner and hopefully Franson, to get less.

I believe we're going to see a VERY different team come playoff time, with Toronto. The running around, trying to cherry pick passes, reckless pinching, and trying to be "fancy" are going to disappear when things are on the line. We saw that against Boston last post season, this team is more than capable of it. And the guys we added should pay off HUGE.

Agree?

Or do you think what we've seen defensively for much of the season is what's coming?

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think Randy Carlyle's line-matching will pay off a lot in the playoffs, it seemed to against Boston. If we have Bolland that will be a huge boost to the team defensively and we'll be able to send out a respectable shutdown line.

EDIT: And one thing that is good is leashes will be tighter. I don't imagine it'll take long for Franson to be benched or scratched if he keeps up his current play, unless he goes 2013 playoffs mode.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Need to get to the Playoffs 1st.

Next weeks western trip is going to go a long way in determining our playoff race the rest of the year. If the leafs can finish that trip with a cushion it will ease a lot of minds

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
So we'll get to the playoffs and suddenly start playing better while others teams keep playing the same? Is that our master plan??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd focus on making the playoffs first and in order to do that I would do like many other teams and use the regular season to work on my shortcomings.

Teams seldom if ever make the playoffs with poor defense and a bottom 5 goals against.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
We have 3 two way centers, kulemin and Gleason. Other than that everyone need to get thier head out of thier ass.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
So we'll get to the playoffs and suddenly start playing better while others teams keep playing the same? Is that our master plan??

This.
The leafs give me absolutely no reason to believe that we'll play better in the playoffs, because I've been expecting them to tighten things up and improvement since last years playoffs, and I think its even gotten worse. Time to accept the leafs for what they are.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
This.
The leafs give me absolutely no reason to believe that we'll play better in the playoffs, because I've been expecting them to tighten things up and improvement since last years playoffs, and I think its even gotten worse. Time to accept the leafs for what they are.

Maybe. But I'd argue that there's LOTS of reason to expect them to change their style of play, going into the playoffs. They did it last year against Boston, and it was effective. And they definitely have the guys with the right tools to do just that.

I bet we'll start seeing it well BEFORE the playoffs roll around. The tightening has already begun somewhat, form what I've seen. It was no coincidence that it started when Bozak got back.

As for other teams doing the same thing? Of course. But this isn't about other teams. It's about OUR team. And when we all start playing that way, I think our team will be able to hold their own.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I think if we do well, it will be because of our goalies primarily. Bolland perhaps if he is fully recovered and Kessel if he is in the mood could be other contributing factors. Looking for on-ice leadership from these guys. If these 3 are not at the top of their game, I'm not that hopeful of our chances.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
They already have tightened up, after that massive losing streak we went into a massive win streak, and then came back to lose a couple in ot or by one goal.

essentially the SA are down, and they're defending slightly better, but still making stupid mistakes.

something that has to kick in is secondary scoring for sure, as I dont see our defense getting that much better, we kinda have to score at least 2-3 to win a game.

Ultimately my point is this team looks ALOT better even when they lose, haven't seen one of those 7-1 games in a while, they're actually trying to come back in each game rather than sit back.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010

Leafs are the only team able to improve significantly, didn't ya know?

I'm not sure citing the epic game 7 collapse as the Leafs ability to tighten up defensively is such a good argument.

But yes, generally teams tend to play more defensive later in the year and in playoffs, it's why elite defensive teams consistently contend and win the cup.

I think how deep the Leafs go in the playoffs will correlate with how much they can turn their defensive game around.

TheThrill81*

I beg your pardon, all this time we've been hearing how other teams are going to tighten up their defensive play come playoff time and somehow the Leafs won't. It works both ways. ;)

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
How dare you bring optimism to these boards. Damnable behaviour!

Feb 24, 2004
It's no secret that TEAM DEFENCE has been our problem all year long. But do we really lack the guys to change that, with the playoffs just around the corner? I think we have enough good two-way forwards to completely change that when needed.

- Bozak missed a bunch of time, and as soon as he came back, we started playing better again. He's a good two-way Centre, and will make a difference.

- Bolland should make a big difference to our ability to play team defence. Who did Chicago have on the ice with less than a minute left to play, in a TIED game, in game 6 of the finals? Dave Bolland, that's who. He wasn't there for his offence, although he took care of that business nicely.

- Kulemin is probably our best two-way player and has been coming on lately.

- McLement, when not relied on to be a 1st line Centre like he was when all three of Bozak, Bolland and Kadri were out earlier in the season, is a very effective defensive forward.

- Clarkson's toughness and "heart" make him someone designed for the post-season. He's had a bad year, but if previous post-seasons with Jersey are any indication(remember him scoring 3 game winners with a broken foot in 2011?) then look for him to come alive.

- Phaneuf is our best defenceman, by far. He's a +19 on a team known for it's shoddy defensive play. Think about that, Phaneuf haters.

- Gleason & Gunnarsson are good guys to have in the playoffs. Watch for them to get more ice time, and for Rielly and Gardiner and hopefully Franson, to get less.

I believe we're going to see a VERY different team come playoff time, with Toronto. The running around, trying to cherry pick passes, reckless pinching, and trying to be "fancy" are going to disappear when things are on the line. We saw that against Boston last post season, this team is more than capable of it. And the guys we added should pay off HUGE.

Agree?

Or do you think what we've seen defensively for much of the season is what's coming?

What happened to this type of play accompanied by fluke wins being sustainable?

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Odd, I remember noticing the Leafs tighten up their defense in the playoffs last year. It was a marginal improvement, but still an improvement at that.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What happened to this type of play accompanied by fluke wins being sustainable?

It HAS been sustainable, as is evidenced by our 34-23-8 record. What's your point? I've never spoken about the post-season in any of my discussions about "sustainability". It's always been about the regular season.....Read the posts.

The playoffs are a different beast, and the Leafs will have to now learn to win THERE as well.

Okay with you?

:)

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Teams seldom if ever make the playoffs with poor defense and a bottom 5 goals against.

LOL. I'm very sorry to be the one to notify you that Toronto WILL be making the playoffs. Just need maybe 7-8 more wins in our last 17 games....it's almost a done deal. I know that must bother you to no end.

And in fact, in the east......Montreal's goal differential is EVEN. Toronto, Philly & Detroit's are all -5.

Hey, we're ALL in playoff positions.

Yay!!!

Bigblue

Sep 20, 2009
It HAS been sustainable, as is evidenced by our 34-23-8 record. What's your point? I've never spoken about the post-season in any of my discussions about "sustainability". It's always been about the regular season.....Read the posts.

The playoffs are a different beast, and the Leafs will have to now learn to win THERE as well.

Okay with you?

They have been a work in progress. But Bolland will make a big difference in late game situations. D'amigo when he gets the call will as well. They'll pick it up. The East is wide open.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
LOL. I'm very sorry to be the one to notify you that Toronto WILL be making the playoffs. Just need maybe 7-8 more wins in our last 17 games....it's almost a done deal. I know that must bother you to no end.

And in fact, in the east......Montreal's goal differential is EVEN. Toronto, Philly & Detroit's are all -5.

Hey, we're ALL in playoff positions.

Yay!!!

I'm very sorry to notify you the Leafs making the playoffs has more to do with the Eastern Conference being weak than any other factor.

The Leafs are in the bottom of the league in shots against, PK%, goals against in the 3rd period, blown leads, faceoffs, etc.

The Leafs will make the playoffs, but they'll be out in the first round again.

YAY!!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay - If the question is - will the Leafs play stifling LA defense the minute puck drops Game 1 - probably not. they really aren't built that way. But if the question is - will the Leafs start playing a little bit more attention [than they have] to the points etc? Yes - because we saw it during the playoffs last year.

There has been evidence of teams being poop in the regular season and really great during the playoffs - once again, i bring your attention to the 2000-2001 Toronto Maple Leafs Squad. they were not very good defensively [among other things] - but they managed to clamp down and play fantastic hockey. They swept Ottawa (and they had the best PK, after struggling with it that season and an awesome goals against average if I recall correctly). they were 1 flying Elbow away [I hate you Tie Domi] from meeting Pittsburgh and then who knows what happens.

You can say it had a lot to do with Joseph's goaltending [and it did] however at the same time, the team collectively decided to play better.

I'm not saying that the exact same thing will happen here - but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Leafs will clamp down and play a step above the way they do now.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Maybe. But I'd argue that there's LOTS of reason to expect them to change their style of play, going into the playoffs. They did it last year against Boston, and it was effective. And they definitely have the guys with the right tools to do just that.

I bet we'll start seeing it well BEFORE the playoffs roll around. The tightening has already begun somewhat, form what I've seen. It was no coincidence that it started when Bozak got back.

As for other teams doing the same thing? Of course. But this isn't about other teams. It's about OUR team. And when we all start playing that way, I think our team will be able to hold their own.

So i guess we can chalk blowing the lead twice in the third period last night up as a fluke right :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad