OT: Washington Commanders: 2022 Offseason - Part 1 - Commander Carson Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There was a really interesting article about free agency a few years ago that I can no longer find but the gist of it was most guys don’t even know the teams their agents are negotiating with. Their agents will tell them a dollar amount they’re shooting for and then tell the players to sit tight and keep working out and then they’ll call them and say, “you’re going to [insert team here],” because that was the best deal the agent could get them. Some times the agents will tell them they have two or three similar offers from the same teams and they need an answer within the hour before the team moves on.

Makes sense to me that in this case the agent may have told JD, “we got the money we want from Buffalo and I took it,” and then when Washington reached out to counter JD told him if the money’s the same he’d rather just stay.

Guys back out of contracts all the time. Just this year we saw Randy Gregory agree to return to the Cowboys and then bail to the Broncos, Za’Darius Smith agree to terms with the Ravens and then back out, and Deshaun Watson told Cleveland they were out and then they came back with an over-the-top offer.

I don’t doubt that the Buffalo GM feels burned and it probably could have been handled better but that same GM has already and will continue to cut guys he signed to contracts so I don’t feel bad for him.

If that’s how it works en masse, then that’s F’ed up.

The agent’s role is not to accept a job in this instance….it’s to negotiate the best options and allow their “hopefully” fully briefed client to know what those options are so he can choose.

I reaaaally wonder how F’ed up sports contract negotiations are. You hear about no offers being made, little or no communication….it all sounds like a broken process to me.

Reactions: Drakon

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If that’s how it works en masse, then that’s F’ed up.

The agent’s role is not to accept a job in this instance….it’s to negotiate the best options and allow their “hopefully” fully briefed client to know what those options are so he can choose.

I reaaaally wonder how F’ed up sports contract negotiations are. You hear about no offers being made, little or no communication….it all sounds like a broken process to me.
McKissic chose DC over Buffalo. A train wreck franchise over a SB contender. The guy has said he wanted to stay in DC and he chose to. This unwritten rule BS is just that, BS.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Atlanta likely to take a QB, meaning one less to slide for trade back possibilities

edit: suppose they could go for Baker/Mariota/Jimmy G

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wonder if Clots had their eye on Ryan the entire time and needed to move Wentz to do it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if Clots had their eye on Ryan the entire time and needed to move Wentz to do it.

I mean sure they must have known he was on his way out of ATL. IMO he’s close to cooked.

look at the cap hit they took to remove him!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's a baller move to say, "Yeah, we're trading Matt Ryan for nothing, taking a $40m dead cap hit, AND Marcus Mariota is our guy!"

It's stupid, but you gotta admire the audacity. ;)
Arthur Blank is like “sell some more nails and lumber dammit!”….

Reactions: Jags

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The combination of MM, Pitts, and Patterson is interesting, though. Some potential offensive danger there in a hybrid run/pass offense similar to the Ravens, maybe.

ATL was hard to pin down last year. They need defense more than anything else, imo.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Wentz is better the Matty Ice imo
I watched his presser the other night and I kinda liked him. There at least appears to be a lot of humility there. I'm wondering if his faith and new family have grounded him some. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT in any way optimistic about anything associated with DC football. All I'm saying is that this guy didn't come off like the asshole so many say he is... ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that name. I'll probably need to hear the announcers on TV saying it about 1,000 times before it registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad