Was Tim Thomas the Eric Lindros of goalies?

Was Tim Thomas the Eric Lindros of goalies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I often see Eric Lindros held in very high regard. A guy that that dominated the league for a short time.

Do you think Tim Thomas was the Eric Lindros of goaltending? Since he was so dominant for his short career.

2-time Vezina winner
1 Conn Smythe
1 Cup
5th all-time in league save percentage

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I often see Eric Lindros held in very high regard. A guy that that dominated the league for a short time.

Do you think Tim Thomas was the Eric Lindros of goaltending? Since he was so dominant for his short career.

2-time Vezina winner
1 Conn Smythe
1 Cup

Longevity and consistency is more important than a small sample size of dominance, no matter how dominant.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

2-time Vezina winner
1 Conn Smythe
1 Cup
In what way was Lindros dominant? It wasn't in points. In his only 100 point season, he finished 46 points behind the league leader. Was it in hits? Cause he was good at taking them, kinda.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

2-time Vezina winner
1 Conn Smythe
1 Cup

No. You'd be better off picking a player like Martin St Louis as a comparison then Lindros.

Reactions: bobholly39

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
No. You'd be better off picking a player like Martin St Louis as a comparison then Lindros.

Marty had a pretty long career though.

I guess they’re both short players, but I was more getting at the fact that they both had really good, but short careers.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Was Tim Thomas a highly rated prospect that came into the league at 19 and dominated? Hmmm

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
In what way was Lindros dominant? It wasn't in points. In his only 100 point season, he finished 46 points behind the league leader. Was it in hits? Cause he was good at taking them, kinda.

47g/115pts/163pim in 73 games

that is dominant. 29g/70pts in 46 games the season before (52g/125pt pace) was also dominant

nothing wrong with finishing 46pts behind the 2nd best player in NHL history, a guy that had a top 20 player of all time as his winger

not a flyers or big E fan in the slightest, but to say he wasnt dominant is just plain ignorant

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m not going to just assume that you didn’t watch him play because assumption is dangerous, but it’s hard to imagine you did watch him play and have this opinion. At his best, he virtually unplayable.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

for the undrafted angle yes, but marty was real good for a long time.

Thomas Reminds me a lot of Kiprusoff, a dude who although was a late rd pick, didnt become a starter until he was 27 (draft +9)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m not going to just assume that you didn’t watch him play because assumption is dangerous, but it’s hard to imagine you did watch him play and have this opinion. At his best, he virtually unplayable.

anyone who watched the 1997 playoffs would never question big E's dominance. unless they only watched the final where the detroit team chock full of hall of famers (stevie Y, shanny, fedorov,larionov,lidstrom etc) put on a clinic

Reactions: koyvoo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure if Lindros is the Lindros of forwards by that definition but I might go with someone like Ken Dryden if you want short absolute dominance.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Marty had a pretty long career though.

I guess they’re both short players, but I was more getting at the fact that they both had really good, but short careers.

I agree with the Marty comparison

Thomas and Lindros are nothing alike. Lindros is more like Crosby/McDavid - just even more hype. And - he also delivered. He was absolutely fantastic in his early years till injuries hit. I dont personally think he was as good as Crosby and McDavid at his best - but he's in that vicinity. That is absooutely nothing like Thomas...

Thomas - like St Louis - only reached the NHL and became good later on in his career. Very strong peak, then got old fizzled out and left. There are a few parallels with St Louis also peaking late, though he obviously had the better career with strong longevity.

I dont see the Lindros and Thomas parallel at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad