Proposal: WAS-DET

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
To Detroit: Kuznetsov, Mantha

To Washington: Chiarot, Copp

Detroit finally gets a legitimate 1-2 punch with Larkin and Kuznetsov that they've been missing since they started rebuilding. Mantha was good with Larkin and should do well again in Detroit in his contract year

Chiarot is the type of defenseman the current Capitals lineup doesn't have in any way but who seems overshadowed at his contract with all the new D emerging in Detroit, and Copp would be a good 40 point swiss army knife to have for a team with a lot of question marks at forward

Who says no?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No interest at all from Washington. Kuznetsov and Mantha are the two “best” players (least terrible is more like it) in this deal and Copp and Chiarot have longer contracts than either Mantha or Kuznetsov. This trade somehow both makes the Caps worse in the short term and locks them into longer contracts.

It’s a $3M net savings for Washington next season but that’s not enough to make this swap. Not interested at all in taking on contracts with three and four more seasons left. If the Caps stink I’d rather them stink with short term contracts. Chiarot and Copp don’t help them stink any less.

Last edited:

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
I can see Washington wanting Perron and/or Kubalik in there somewhere. But looks like a close trade to me. With Detroit slightly winning.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No interest at all from Washington. Kuznetsov and Mantha are the two “best” players (least terrible is more like it) in this deal and Copp and Chiarot have longer contracts than either Mantha or Kuznetsov. This trade somehow both makes the Caps worse in the short term and locks them into longer contracts.

It’s a $3M net savings for Washington next season but that’s not enough to make this swap. Not interested at all in taking on contracts with three and four more seasons left. If the Caps stink I’d rather them stink with short term contracts. Chiarot and Copp don’t help them stink any less.

Copp is a better player than Mantha but I still get what your saying about term especially on guys not moving the needle.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023

I guess I value Copp higher then most. He'd be like a mixture of Sheary and Oshie with the ability to play center and slide from 1RW to 2LW to 2C to 3C depending how the season goes. Don't see how Mantha is better than either player the caps are getting back. What if it was Perron/Kubalik instead?

I can see Washington wanting Perron and/or Kubalik in there somewhere. But looks like a close trade to me. With Detroit slightly winning.
Yeah one of those instead of Copp might make it better for both teams

I cant imagine another team actually wanting Chiarot.

He seems way too hated for what he actually is, which is a big physical #4 who keeps getting played above his head, admittedly overpaid now but not useless.

Sandin - Jensen
Chiarot/(Fehervary/Alexeyev) - Carlson
(Alexeyev/Fehervary)/Chiarot -TVR

Given the other LD the caps have he has a pretty clear Orpik like role in that lineup, and is the only legitimately physical/crease clearing D they'd have. I'm assuming one of Fehervary or Alexeyev gets moved, a LD lineup of Sandin-Fehervary-Alexeyev seems too young and one dimensional for trying to compete

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Copp is a better player than Mantha but I still get what your saying about term especially on guys not moving the needle.
Hmm, not sure I agree. Mantha was a better producer in fewer games and has better play-driving and defensive metrics while playing at wing while Copp is a center. I could buy that they’re a wash but I’m not sure I buy that he’s better. Definitely more competitive than Mantha and plays a more valuable position but curious how you would classify him as better. Genuinely curious, not being snarky.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess I value Copp higher then most. He'd be like a mixture of Sheary and Oshie with the ability to play center and slide from 1RW to 2LW to 2C to 3C depending how the season goes. Don't see how Mantha is better than either player the caps are getting back. What if it was Perron/Kubalik instead?
I guess I just don’t see what Copp brings that’s enticing to Washington? I’d rather bring along McMichael than spend money on Copp. Washington didn’t struggle with the Shearys and Oshies of the world, they need more talent and I don’t see how Copp cures what ails them. Perron would be more interesting. Swapping Kuznetsov and Mantha for Copp makes them less talented offensively.

Reactions: Hivemind

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hmm, not sure I agree. Mantha was a better producer in fewer games and has better play-driving and defensive metrics while playing at wing while Copp is a center. I could buy that they’re a wash but I’m not sure I buy that he’s better. Definitely more competitive than Mantha and plays a more valuable position but curious how you would classify him as better. Genuinely curious, not being snarky.

Mantha just seems to lack an ability to play to his potential. Comes across as lazy to me. I truly thought he'd be a 30 goal scorer. Copp on the other hand can play any forward position, including the tougher assignment as a matchup center. He's no star player by any stretch but is a guy with a rep as a gamer and one who's been known to play above his skill level. Kinda the opposite one could say in relation to Mantha. The term on his deal sucks though, truly.

Copp's ppg is .51 ppg and Mantha .40 ppg. Copp also rarely misses games, Mantha on the other hand routinely does.

To remove an argument I could say Copp is more "useful", and "reliable" term excluded he would likely have more teams as suitors if he was made available. Mid 6 C that rarely misses time and is seen as a swiss army type vs a mid 6 winger who misses a lot of games and comes across and disengaged. I'd take Copp easily. I would characterise him as a better player than Mantha, but not a more talented player. If that makes sense.

I should also add I don't think Washington should trade for Copp. That term for them should be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Detroit would certainly take this sort of deal to get out from under Chiarot's contract. But i think Copp is probably a better fit with the Wings as someone who can fill that #3C role and bridge the transition to Kasper taking that #2C role. Kuznetsov seems like he's in real decline so i'm not sure it's as big an upgrade as it's being sold as here. The more valuable component is just getting rid of that Chiarot contract.

Detroit have also obviously played out the whole Mantha thing, at a time when he was at least a better offensive contributor. Don't see them wanting to revisit that. Again, Copp is the more versatile player who fits a better role in supporting the young players they have coming along than either of Mantha or Kuznetsov. Those guys aren't really good enough to make the Caps competitive, i'm not sure what would make them so much more useful/impactful in Detroit.

Which is where i don't think Washington has any reason to entertain this trade. Getting stuck with Chiarot's bad contract and Copp's longer-term commitment just seems like moving in the opposite direction to where Washington are headed with a rebuilding/deep retooling process.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
To Detroit: Kuznetsov, Mantha

To Washington: Chiarot, Copp

Detroit finally gets a legitimate 1-2 punch with Larkin and Kuznetsov that they've been missing since they started rebuilding. Mantha was good with Larkin and should do well again in Detroit in his contract year

Chiarot is the type of defenseman the current Capitals lineup doesn't have in any way but who seems overshadowed at his contract with all the new D emerging in Detroit, and Copp would be a good 40 point swiss army knife to have for a team with a lot of question marks at forward

Who says no?
Caps say where are the multiple young upside assets that actually tempt us to move Kuz?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad