Ward out 6-8 weeks, MCL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
@MSmithCanes Ward had stopped 123 of his last 131 shots faced (.939 save percentage) in his last five games (4-1 record).

For all the haters out there.

And Dan Ellis stopped 1 of his last 1 shots faced giving him a 100% save perc. in his last shot faced. For all the haters out there.

Cherry picking stats? We can do it all day

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
:shakehead

Look, he's not been stellar this whole season, but lets not act like he's been awful the entire time. He's single handedly kept us in numerous games this season alone, so to discredit that is just stupid. Yes, he's had his stinkers, but he's also completely bailed out the team quite frequently this past week alone.

While terrible all season is an exaggeration, it's fair to say that he hasn't played as well as in the past. He is way at the bottom of the league for Save % and GAA this year and not all of that is due to the skaters. He's had some really good games, some really bad games and some so-so games. The point is that some are making is that the Canes are 1st in the SE despite Ward's subpar season so who's to say they can't remain there with a back-up?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

Look, he's not been stellar this whole season, but lets not act like he's been awful the entire time. He's single handedly kept us in numerous games this season alone, so to discredit that is just stupid. Yes, he's had his stinkers, but he's also completely bailed out the team quite frequently this past week alone.

That wasn't my pont. Why don't you quote my entire post. I said he has been mediocre-to-bad. He has had a few games where he has played well and a few others where he has been terrible. Overall he hasn't been the Cam Ward of seasons past where he has been carrying the team on his back. He has been a Mediocre starting goaltender so far this season. For every good game he has had an equally bad one.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
While terrible all season is an exaggeration, it's fair to say that he hasn't played as well as in the past. He is way at the bottom of the league for Save % and GAA this year and not all of that is due to the skaters. He's had some really good games, some really bad games and some so-so games. The point is that some are making is that the Canes are 1st in the SE despite Ward's subpar season so who's to say they can't remain there with a back-up?

Thanks, this is exactly my point.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And Dan Ellis stopped 1 of his last 1 shots faced giving him a 100% save perc. in his last shot faced. For all the haters out there.

If you were going to pick a ridiculous sample size to throw back at someone you could at least be right.

Dan Ellis has actually stopped 0 of the last 1 shots he has faced for a 0 save %.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
43% through the season and Ward defenders are reduced to bringing up the past week.

It should be noted that the team scored 17 goals in the four games that Ward won, so they really didn't *need* him to be great. Which is pretty much the point the people who think that losing Ward doesn't = season over are making.

This isn't the 'Canes of prior years with two relevant forwards and every third shift dedicated to Brandon Sutter chipping the puck out of the zone.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don't know maybe because Dan Ellis is playing for his fifth team and has proven consistently that he can't carry the load? I would love for him to prove me wrong but I would much rather have Ward especially for the playoffs.

I can't believe only playing 1 game in Dallas before he was traded in 2004, or that he lost his job to Rinne in 2010 are better indicators of what to expect than how he's played for us this season.

Some of these guys who would be 'decent' starters just float around for a while, either being a backup on a good team, or the starter on a bad team. But if they ever find their way into being the starter on a good team again, they play well. I'm predicting that's what we see here. The guy seems to have the tools, and the Canes have the ability to provide some goal support. Should equal success.

Beardy*

Agreed...

We should be fine with Ellis. I'm not in a panicked mindset at all. My only worry now is that we're going to have some serious "ahhhhh we're gonna lose this one" games when we have to go to Peters in the future, but we should be ok with needing to lean on Ellis for the next 6 weeks or so. These guys have already shown they can play very good team defense in front of the goalie, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, so having to go through a stretch like this should actually make the team better in the long run.

The good news is, assuming the team is able to deal with this and move on, we should be golden for the playoffs. I hope Cam is able to make it back on the early side of the 6 weeks (and with injuries like this, especially in sports nowadays, coming back earlier than expected is always a possibility) so he can get back into game shape before the playoffs. As we all know, he takes it to another level when the postseason arrives, and this timeframe should get him back in just enough time for us.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So what about the other 11 games?

Convenient that this cherry picked segment begins directly after Ward's debacles against Montreal and Winnipeg.

Ooh, I can play this game too.

In the last 7 years Cam Ward is tied for the league lead in Conn Smythe trophies, clearly he's a world-class goalie.

Convenient that YOUR cherry picked segment begins at the beginning of the worst start of his career, and it looked like he was finding his form...

Can we stop with this sample size crap now? It's clear that Cam had a bad start to the year, and looked to be getting back to form in the last several games. Does anyone actually think that Ward being out 6-8 weeks is GOOD? No? OK, cool.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
jesus H...what do Cam Ward's statistics matter at this point?

Can't think of a more pointless argument to have right now.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
So what about the other 11 games?

Convenient that this cherry picked segment begins directly after Ward's debacles against Montreal and Winnipeg.

My apologies. Let me include those stats as well.

165 saves on 180 shots against = 0.917 = 91.7%

Truly awful stuff.

jesus H...what do Cam Ward's statistics matter at this point?

Can't think of a more pointless argument to have right now.

duty_calls.png

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
If you were going to pick a ridiculous sample size to throw back at someone you could at least be right.

Dan Ellis has actually stopped 0 of the last 1 shots he has faced for a 0 save %.

Just an example.. Your numbers illustrate the point just as well.

Are you serious?

Five games is a respectable sample size.

No, it's really not. But if you want to use that small a sample... In the 4 games Ellis has played the entire game his save % is .960. Better than Ward's last 5 games. So not really sure what everyone's concern is. Hope he gets better soon. But in the meantime I'm not too worried about it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well everyone who actually thinks ellis should've number one gets their say. There no point in arguing, we will know in a month. Personally, I think he'll do admirably - but will prove to not be a long term solution and ward will be greeted with open arms when he comes back.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well everyone who actually thinks ellis should've number one gets their say. There no point in arguing, we will know in a month. Personally, I think he'll do admirably - but will prove to not be a long term solution and ward will be greeted with open arms when he comes back.

That's where I'm at, and quite frankly would be a great outcome. If Ellis plays even admirably and the rest of the team can stay healthy, they still have a good shot at the playoffs.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011

Ellis has stopped 116/128 (0.906), so he's not exactly been on a bad run either.

If you ignore the Tampa game when we were in the worst way with injuries, he is 122/139, 0.938

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Not to mention that a 4pt cushion in the division is not exactly a terrible spot to be in, either. Certainly a nice change of pace from the last few years of trying to win our way into squeaking into 8th.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Ward was playing a lot better in the last few games than at the start of the season and seemed to be getting his confidence finally back and now something like this happens.
Luckily we still have Ellis.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I'm not trusting Ellis in the playoffs. He's never done it there. Cam has. So if we're going in with him I'm not gonna be optimistic.

Again, he's on his fifth team. I think he'll do fine but he ain't gonna steal games for us. Trading for another Dman is huge

Beardy*

Not to mention that a 4pt cushion in the division is not exactly a terrible spot to be in, either. Certainly a nice change of pace from the last few years of trying to win our way into squeaking into 8th.

Its even better than that.... its a 4 pt lead with games in hand, with just over half the season left to play.

Its nothing we can't do. We don't need Ellis to carry us. We just need him to make the easy saves and let the rest of the team worry about the details, and he's more than capable of doing just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad