News Article: Visnovsky wants to stay in the KHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky says he will be staying in the KHL and not returning to the Islanders this season. The NHL might fight this decision.

New York Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky will remain with Slovan Bratislava for the remainder of the season, according to Arthur Staple of Newsday.

“I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season,†Visnovsky said in a statement. “I am thankful to the Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country.â€

Full article: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/sorry-isles-visnovsky-to-stick-with-khl-club/related/

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Proud alum of the Tim Thomas school of BS. Haha. I wouldn't want to play on The Isle either. But hey, he said the magic word "family," guess we have to insta-buy it and give him a pass. Wonder how much "family time" we're going to see from NHL players going forward?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He kicked and screamed pretty hard to get the trade to them voided. Don't blame him for doing this.

I think he was in line to make a lot on the Island.

And I'd have been open to getting Streit in since they'd have 2 PMDs if he went.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
The guy " use " the KHL to avoid to play for a team he's been traded to. That's selfishness at his best. I really wishes that the Isles will hold firm and keep his rights. Then, good'ol Visnovsky will have to play for NY or call it a career...

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
The KHL agreed to not let any players under NHL contract play once the lockout ends. Looks like the agreement gets put to the test.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He must hate NYI so much. He's gonna make bundles of more money over 3 months. Chances are he doesn't have to work the playoffs. Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd stunt he's pulled to get out of going there didn't he try to use crashing his car as one and then some clause in a prior contract thinking he had a NTC or whatever?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky says he will be staying in the KHL and not returning to the Islanders this season. The NHL might fight this decision.

New York Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky will remain with Slovan Bratislava for the remainder of the season, according to Arthur Staple of Newsday.

“I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season,†Visnovsky said in a statement. “I am thankful to the Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country.â€

Full article: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/sorry-isles-visnovsky-to-stick-with-khl-club/related/

Terrible loss to the NHL:shakehead

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Makes 3 sheets if not mistaken for the Islanders and still not happy...........well....in his defence it is the Islanders:)

DB move, not a shocker

Kaoz*

I dont think there is anything wrong with what he is doing.

If it were Boston that wasted a 2nd round pick on him more likely would.

Guy has a contract with the Isles with only half a year left. Remaining in the KHL because you don't want to play on a bottom tier team on the last year of your front loaded contract is a very ****** baggish move.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
If it were Boston that wasted a 2nd round pick on him more likely would.

Guy has a contract with the Isles with only half a year left. Remaining in the KHL because you don't want to play on a bottom tier team on the last year of your front loaded contract is a very ****** baggish move.

Well he had a contract with him at the start of the year and it wasnt honored due to a lockout. He went and sought employment elsewhere, moved his family with him and wants to finish the season there. And no, if it was Boston I wouldnt change my stance. If he doesnt want to play somewhere he shouldnt have to based on the league locking them out for 3 1/2 months.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
He must hate NYI so much. He's gonna make bundles of more money over 3 months. Chances are he doesn't have to work the playoffs. Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd stunt he's pulled to get out of going there didn't he try to use crashing his car as one and then some clause in a prior contract thinking he had a NTC or whatever?

Really? :laugh: I just have that scene from Always Sunny stuck in my head now when Mac and Charlie tried to fake their deaths by pulling their teeth out and throwing them in a car that they crashed and blew up :laugh::laugh:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
er - ah - KHL plans to honor exisiting contracts

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/...alchuk-can-not-stay-in-khl-must-return-010813

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Tuesday that the KHL reaffirmed its intention to honor an agreement with the NHL concerning contracts.

''They would not permit a player who is under a valid and binding NHL SPC (to) continue to play in the KHL once the lockout is officially lifted,'' Daly said in an email to The Associated Press. ''They have confirmed their intention to honor this agreement to us.''

So, maybe Lubo just has a big learning curve with his current NHL contract.

Kaoz*

Well he had a contract with him at the start of the year and it wasnt honored due to a lockout. He went and sought employment elsewhere, moved his family with him and wants to finish the season there. And no, if it was Boston I wouldnt change my stance. If he doesnt want to play somewhere he shouldnt have to based on the league locking them out for 3 1/2 months.

Fair enough, can't really argue that honestly. It is possible.

Personally I read more into it, rightly or wrongly. Likely wrongly. With him seemingly taking issue with the trade from day 1, the lockout just seems a convenient excuse. When you make 5 million a year your family can be where ever you choose to build your mansion.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Neil Sheehy adds this: Visnovsky's wish is to stay in Bratislava. But if the KHL says he can't stay, he will come and play for #Isles.

he's coming back

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I bet no one on here is going to give the KHL the credit it deserves for not poaching a single player with the lockout if they do send him back to the Isles.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Snow will no doubt tell him to report too camp. He is too important to their season this year not too. We will see him in an Isles jersey.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I bet no one on here is going to give the KHL the credit it deserves for not poaching a single player with the lockout if they do send him back to the Isles.

Credit for what? Not violating IIHF rules?

As Chris Rock says about men who are praised for paying child support, It's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The KHL agreed to not let any players under NHL contract play once the lockout ends. Looks like the agreement gets put to the test.

Sort of.

The KHL allowed NHL players under contract to play while the lockout was ongoing, because the agreement between the NHL and KHL was that they would not infringe on any players under contract with the other league and they would let them return once it was over. They had to allow them to play because of the agreement with the NHL.

How is this any different:

"We asked 'Koko' to return to Windsor because we were concerned about his ice time and development," Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to espn.com

Wasn't Koko under contract in the KHL?

Before anyone makes the argument that Koko is different because he's not coming to the NHL the key word is "infringe".

Chiarelli in fact did infringe (according to espn) on Koko's contract with the KHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad