Confirmed Trade: [VGK/SJS] Tomas Hertl (17.05% retained), 2025 and 2027 3rd round picks for David Edstrom, 2025 1st round pick

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think people forget who exactly Hertl has had as his usual wings the past few years. It’s been a revolving door of bottom 6 guys like Barabanov, Kunin, etc.

For Hertl to put up around 60 points per season with those kinds of wingers is excellent. With better talent in Vegas he should do very well.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I think people forget who exactly Hertl has had as his usual wings the past few years. It’s been a revolving door of bottom 6 guys like Barabanov, Kunin, etc.

For Hertl to put up around 60 points per season with those kinds of wingers is excellent. With better talent in Vegas he should do very well.
He is such a good fit for them this spring. Really happy for him. Still hope he ends up in Boston though! And, as an Oiler fan, I think I will hate his guts soon lol

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

You'll soon see how he cannot carry a line, and is not a good two way center. Mark my words and I will gladly eat them.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
You'll soon see how he cannot carry a line, and is not a good two way center. Mark my words and I will gladly eat them.
Your analysis is bad, Hertl was a legitimate play driver at his peak, a 35 goal 70 point defensively responsible #1C on a conference finals team

He is now on a decline due to age and injury but he is still a quality top-6 center who will fit very well on Vegas and will make them better

The concern with him is not the player he is now, it's who he will be deeper into that contract, there's 6 years left on his deal after this one, but Vegas is playing for now so they'll deal with his decline when they have to in exchange for him making them better right now, which he will

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Your analysis is bad, Hertl was a legitimate play driver at his peak, a 35 goal 70 point defensively responsible #1C on a conference finals team

He is now on a decline due to age and injury but he is still a quality top-6 center who will fit very well on Vegas and will make them better

The concern with him is not the player he is now, it's who he will be deeper into that contract, there's 6 years left on his deal after this one, but Vegas is playing for now so they'll deal with his decline when they have to in exchange for him making them better right now, which he will
He was never a #1 center.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
How are people's thoughts on this trade now? Hertl didn't have the best series with only 1 point in 7 games while being -6 and a terrible xGF%.

I think he might be able to rebound though.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How are people's thoughts on this trade now? Hertl didn't have the best series with only 1 point in 7 games while being -6 and a terrible xGF%.

I think he might be able to rebound though.
Far too much weight being put into a small size series after not playing for most of the year. Hertl is a good center. Lets look at it more next year.

Mantha trade was likely the worst one. At least with Hertl and Hanifin they will get many games out of those assets

Reactions: Mattb124

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
He was literally the #1C on the 2019 Sharks, a team that was 6 wins away from the Stanley Cup, your statement is factually incorrect
Huh? You can get swept in the first round and say "that team was only 16 wins away from the stanley cup." Hertl isn't a #1 center on a real contender.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Huh? You can get swept in the first round and say "that team was only 16 wins away from the stanley cup." Hertl isn't a #1 center on a real contender.
You're right, that's only a difference of 10 wins and 2 rounds, how silly of me

I was also talking about Hertl in his prime, not Hertl right now, in 2019 he was a perfectly serviceable 1C who could drive a line, in 2024 he's a complimentary top-6 forward who needs better players on his line to succeed

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hertl is overrated and he didn’t really fit in Vegas. But when he got moved up to Eichel’s wing, that Hertl-Eichel-Marchassault line on paper terrified me.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hertl in the Playoffs:
7GP - 1G 0A and a Team Worst -6.

Costed Vegas 6.75M on the Cap, a 1st, a 1st rd prospect in Edstrom, their soul, and the hate and scorn of the entire hockey world.

When Mcrimmon was asked how does Vegas always make so many big deals, he replied: “We pay.”

That you did Mccrimmon, that you did.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Hertl in the Playoffs:
7GP - 1G 0A and a Team Worst -6.

Costed Vegas 6.75M on the Cap, a 1st, a 1st rd prospect in Edstrom, their soul, and the hate and scorn of the entire hockey world.

When Mcrimmon was asked how does Vegas always make so many big deals, he replied: “We pay.”

That you did Mccrimmon, that you did.
It'll also cost them Stephenson and/or Marchessault as they won't have enough cap space to sign them both.

Reactions: TheNumber4

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Your analysis is still bad, and a poor showing in a 7 game sample size against the #1 seed in the west while returning from injury isn't the 'gotcha' you think it is, though enjoy your troll likes

Vegas does need to go on another deep run in the next couple of years to capitalize on the tail end of Hertl's good years though, even then they always seem to find a way to asset flip themselves out of a problem contract so I doubt it crushes them in the end

• Wow
Reactions: Trow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad