Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NSH] Alexei Emelin (29% retained) for 2019 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think there's any way this is so they can trade Ekholm. Could've just signed Markov who is much better and has a history with PK if that was the case. Just a 3rd pair upgrade, no more, no less.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I don't think there's any way this is so they can trade Ekholm. Could've just signed Markov who is much better and has a history with PK if that was the case. Just a 3rd pair upgrade, no more, no less.

So lets assume they arent trading any of their D and Emelin is a 3rd pairing guy. They'll have a sick defense, but still need some severe upgrading at the C position.

Makes no sense unless its an attempt to trade for MD or Chucky.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

And if poile wants to spend 4.1 million for a third pairing dman and a 3rd round pick when he could've picked up someone in free agency doesn't make any sense either. We also have some Dmen that are about to make the jump so it doesn't make sense to overpay for a 3rd pairing dman

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Poile basically dump Wilson's cap hit (3.9M) to get Emelin (4.1M).

This has nothing to do with Duchene. Still going to go out on a limb and say Bonino will be their 2C next season. They made the finals with Fisher, so i think there's a good chance Poile thinks they can do it with Bonino, especially when you pay him 4M.

Bottom line is, this is so Poile.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
And if poile wants to spend 4.1 million for a third pairing dman and a 3rd round pick when he could've picked up someone in free agency doesn't make any sense either. We also have some Dmen that are about to make the jump so it doesn't make sense to overpay for a 3rd pairing dman

It's a 1 year deal and the Preds have plenty of cap space. No one is ready to make the jump or Weber/Irwin wouldn't have already been signed.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
If it's just a 3rd pair upgrade then I like it for Nashville. Making their defence harder to play against isn't a bad idea since it's their strength.

On a related note... Is the asking price for Duchene a IN NHL defenceman or could Nashville offer up prospects ? I'm not up to date on that situation.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
So lets assume they arent trading any of their D and Emelin is a 3rd pairing guy. They'll have a sick defense, but still need some severe upgrading at the C position.

Makes no sense unless its an attempt to trade for MD or Chucky.

FWIW I think that list is longer. With Neal gone, we could use a winger. Maybe something like Ellis for JVR? I wouldn't do it but who knows.

My pipe dream is this is setting up Josi for Tavares but I know that's never gonna happen.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think Preds about to trade one of their d for Duchene. So they made this trade beforehand. Not saying it's right move or not, but that's my gut feel.

That would make sense, not sure if Poile wants to break up the top 4 though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So everybody is going to ignore McKenzie's tweet that this wasn't a set up for another trade? Okay.

"At this point, I'd say NSH's intention is to keep Emelin in lineup, not necessarily to set up another trade"

So we keep Emelin and trade another dman? I dont' see how his tweet killed this idea especially since he used qualifiers like "not necessarily"

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
If it's just a 3rd pair upgrade then I like it for Nashville. Making their defence harder to play against isn't a bad idea since it's their strength.

On a related note... Is the asking price for Duchene a IN NHL defenceman or could Nashville offer up prospects ? I'm not up to date on that situation.

Rumor was that NSH offered Fabbro, Girard and picks/prospect :amazed: and it was rejected. Also rumored that COL's ask was Ekholm+ and Poile refused that...SO I HAVE NO FRICKING IDEA.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You won't be saying that if it is the precursor to a NSH/COL Duchene trade.

I'll feel even more sorry for Nashville if they plan on replacing one of their stud top 4 dmen (Ellis or Eklhom) with Emelin.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Rumor was that NSH offered Fabbro, Girard and picks/prospect :amazed: and it was rejected. Also rumored that COL's ask was Ekholm+ and Poile refused that...SO I HAVE NO FRICKING IDEA.

If Sakic turned this and the Hamonic+ offer, he is a freaking tool.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So the top teams Central has decided to commit roster suicide, and let the Jets win for a change?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
i dont like emelin...so overrated. brings physicallity but even his d play is meh at best. First pass ok, shot meh. Skating ok.

I dont know... will fit well on the preds bottom pairing D, where he belongs. Problem is he was playing as a number 3 here in MTL. Doesnt have the skills for that.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Even then the difference between Emelin and Irwin is minuscule. Emelin is SLIGHTLY better than Irwin defensively.

Even if I agreed with the premise that Irwin is almost as good as Emelin, they're completely different. Emelin is a truck and hits like one.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Yeh that's one heck of an offer. Maybe Sakic is somehow still convinced he can win now? Oh well Girard is looking like the real deal. I hope he makes it out of camp this season

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I think NSH is better off keeping their top 4 d intact, I don't think Duchene is worth breaking up the group that got them to the SCF.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
So everybody is going to ignore McKenzie's tweet that this wasn't a set up for another trade? Okay.

Just my opinion, but McKenzie's tweet wasn't that straight forward. He mentioned that Preds intention is to keep Emelin in lineup.

If they are planning on trading one of their existing top 4 d, off course they traded for Emelin with the intentions to play him.

Or they intend on keeping and playing him without trading one of their d?

I think Preds see Emelin as top 4 D, it just doesn't make sense to allocate cap/salary of $4 million for a d to play in your 3rd pairing IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad