Proposal: VAN-TOR-CAR 3 way trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
credits to zcaptain who made a similar proposal first. TOR gets their D, CAR gets a Offensive forward, VAN gets picks.

TOR gets:
faulk 25% retained

CAR gets:
TOR 1st
Goldobin

VAN gets:
TOR 3rd
CAR 2nd
Faulk 25% salary (although i have no idea if this is even allowed. If not, VAN does a separate deal with TOR for salary/one TOR salary dump to VAN)​

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Carolina doesn't need additional left handed wingers. They only have 1-2 RH forwards on the whole team. Even if interested, Carolina would rather just pay the 3rd directly to Vancouver for Goldobin and cut Toronto out. The difference between Toronto 1st and Carolina 2nd is ~10 picks. For your retention component to work out Faulk would also have to waive his 15 team NTC to go to Vancouver - not likely to happen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If Goldobin was worth much the young team in Vancouver would likely be trying to keep him. He should be a good fit there.

The Canes really only have one wonka golden ticket for a trade. They have one extra RD who’s worth something to someone. They really need to turn that into a consistent and effective forward which is why there are questions from some people about going for Kapanen as while he’s played well it’s hard to say how much he’d score away from his current team. I didn’t say that to get ten leaf fan responses about Kapanen and hijack the thread - the point is Goldobin while at times an interesting player should not be the guy they spend the golden ticket on.

And somehow retain cash at the same time.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
If Goldobin was worth much the young team in Vancouver would likely be trying to keep him. He should be a good fit there.

The Canes really only have one wonka golden ticket for a trade. They have one extra RD who’s worth something to someone. They really need to turn that into a consistent and effective forward which is why there are questions from some people about going for Kapanen as while he’s played well it’s hard to say how much he’d score away from his current team. I didn’t say that to get ten leaf fan responses about Kapanen and hijack the thread - the point is Goldobin while at times an interesting player should not be the guy they spend the golden ticket on.

carolina doesnt retain salary here. plus they get a 1st, which is very attractive for any further bargaining. should be loads of opportunities to trade that 1st for a non playoff teams top 6 forward.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
1st+2nd/3rd +/- is roughly Faulk's market value without retention so IMO Canes get the short end of the stick here.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The canes are not going to trade Faulk for draft picks. The future is now for them. They need centers.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
credits to zcaptain who made a similar proposal first. TOR gets their D, CAR gets a Offensive forward, VAN gets picks.

TOR gets:
faulk 25% retained

CAR gets:
TOR 1st
Goldobin

VAN gets:
TOR 3rd
CAR 2nd
Faulk 25% salary (although i have no idea if this is even allowed. If not, VAN does a separate deal with TOR for salary/one TOR salary dump to VAN)​
As a Leafs fan, 1st+3rd is a fine price, but Faulk isn't the type of D we need to be targeting.

Reactions: mulefarm

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Seems like Carolina gets the shaft. Is a second and third Goldobin's value? I would think its less. And Faulk is worth more than 1st and Goldobin, especially (if allowed) 50% of his salary is retained. So typical Leafs proposal? Where they make out like bandits, value wise. Not speaking towards Faulk being the best fit, just value wise.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The canes are not going to trade Faulk for draft picks. The future is now for them. They need centers.

The Canes could collect 1sts and deal for veteran talent at the Draft when it becomes most available (historically).

That said, if the Canes plan on collecting 1sts then Toronto should be one of the last teams they target. Huge difference between the middle of the 1st and the end of the 1st.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't like the retention from a Canucks perspective. If we can get a decent pick (2nd or better) for Goldy then I'm all for it. If we need to retain so the Leafs can land the best player in the deal, I am not interested. Especially if our + for retention is a late 3rd. In this deal, the Canucks pay more against the cap than just keeping Goldy and handing the Leafs a top 4 RHD for $3.6 this year and next. If the Canucks are going to weaponize their cap space it better be for more than a late 3rd. Id rather get an additional pick and combine it with our own 2nd in the offseason for a J.T. Miller or another player in a similar situation. This seems like making a trade just to make a trade. I also don't like using a retention spot to benefit another team. Who knows maybe we can use that retention to move Del Zotto or Gagner?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Canes could collect 1sts and deal for veteran talent at the Draft when it becomes most available (historically).

That said, if the Canes plan on collecting 1sts then Toronto should be one of the last teams they target. Huge difference between the middle of the 1st and the end of the 1st.
TO could cut out Vancouver all together in this deal and offer the Canes 1st+2nd+2nd. Again, not sure i would target Faulk, but it gets the Canes a better package than the OP if Goldobin isn't needed.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
The Canucks are the one's who should be targeting a RHD tbh, if we can package Goldobin + for Faulk/Hamilton then great

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So what, a second for holding on to 2.4 million in cap over two years, and a third for Goldobin?

Pass. Goldobin is worth about that much to us total. The retained cap space isn't going to make or break a trade, but we'd need something better, otherwise why include us?

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018

Faulk is not a golden ticket lol please I'm dying....

Trading Faulk is not going to solve Carolinas trash offense

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I don't like the retention from a Canucks perspective. If we can get a decent pick (2nd or better) for Goldy then I'm all for it. If we need to retain so the Leafs can land the best player in the deal, I am not interested. Especially if our + for retention is a late 3rd. In this deal, the Canucks pay more against the cap than just keeping Goldy and handing the Leafs a top 4 RHD for $3.6 this year and next. If the Canucks are going to weaponize their cap space it better be for more than a late 3rd. Id rather get an additional pick and combine it with our own 2nd in the offseason for a J.T. Miller or another player in a similar situation. This seems like making a trade just to make a trade. I also don't like using a retention spot to benefit another team. Who knows maybe we can use that retention to move Del Zotto or Gagner?

Agreed. We also only have one retention spot left after the Hansen and Luongo trades, so it would be better used on a player like Edler or Sutter to a contender where we could get a much better asset back.

Reactions: Boondock

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Reading comprehension. Try again.

The Canes have one extra top-4 RHD (Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk) and Adam Fox in the wings. They have one top-4 D to trade and they have to make it count. They need to make a deal that brings in a player with more proven talent than Goldobin or Kapanen. Almost certainly that piece should be a Center.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Faulk allows Carolina to trade the asset good enough to return a Top 6 forward (Pesce or Hamilton.) If Faulk goes, the Canes won't have the depth to make that move; van Riemsdyk or a young Fox, if signed, in a Top 4 role would be an uncomfortable gamble.

You can make the argument that it looks like that hockey trade isn't going to develop and dealing Faulk with 2 playoffs runs left is the best course of action, but I don't fault anyone for wanting to wait to see if something develops. It's going to hurt to have built a very strong collection of defensive assets only to have never been able to utilize them to fill the needs up front.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Agreed. We also only have one retention spot left after the Hansen and Luongo trades, so it would be better used on a player like Edler or Sutter to a contender where we could get a much better asset back.

Jannik Hansen's contract expired last summer....

That said, I tend to agree with the consensus ~ this doesn't make much sense for the Canucks (or Carolina, for that matter)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
carolina only gets a late 1st + goldobin for a retained faulk + early 2nd?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The Canucks are the one's who should be targeting a RHD tbh, if we can package Goldobin + for Faulk/Hamilton then great

Goldobin 100% cannot be the starting point in a deal for Faulk or Hamilton.

I really don’t believe he carries that much value. If teams regarded him highly then the Canucks would just keep him based on where they currently are as a franchise.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Goldobin 100% cannot be the starting point in a deal for Faulk or Hamilton.

I really don’t believe he carries that much value. If teams regarded him highly then the Canucks would just keep him based on where they currently are as a franchise.

I think what he meant was if we are moving Goldobin and that is a main piece, or in the OP one of two pieces, then why wouldn't the Canucks simply match/beat the Leafs offer? Faulk wouldn't be traded for Goldobin plus, he would be the added piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad