Waived: [VAN] Phillip Di Giuseppe, Jiri Patera, Nate Smith, and Christian Wolanin waived by the Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I'm surprised they waived Di Giuseppe. He's always seemed like an effective player when playing against the Oilers. Small sample size on my part, but a surprise nonetheless.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm surprised they waived Di Giuseppe. He's always seemed like an effective player when playing against the Oilers. Small sample size on my part, but a surprise nonetheless.

Just means that Aatu Raty is gonna make the team, he's been a wizard in the faceoff dot so far.

Went 14/18 a few games ago, and I think there was a game where there wasn't a shot against while he was on the ice. (Edit: this was Sherwood)

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
PDG is the kind of vet that may just get picked up off waivers. He’s proven he can at least be a no-fuss warm body at the NHL level, and that’s the kind of player NHL head coaches may be looking to tack on to the end of the bench with the season approaching.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s gonna be interesting to see if Raty can sustain the pace he’s going to have to, to play a consistent shift in the NHL. It’s probably time to find out though.

Think they just see his upside being more than Di Giuseppe. Who lets face it, he’s a dime a dozen forward at the end of the day. Easily replaced if he is claimed and Raty lays an egg.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
PDG - The definition of a solid bottom 6 winger. Decent hands, a shot worth respecting, and two way ability that's allowed him to be successful up and down the lineup. He's played meaningful minutes on the Miller-Boeser line and been successful there, but he's also been a good depth scorer for us. He doesn't have much middle six upside, but if you have a top nine line with two great players in need for a fill-in before the trade deadline, he's worth picking up.

Christian Wolanin - Good puck mover, AHL Dman of the year in 2023. I didn't think he'd make it through waivers last year and don't think he'll make it through this year. He has the brains to play games but probably not on a team looking to win a cup. If you need someone to step in to help shelter a kid (ala NJ with Casey), he'd be a good fit to come in and play 20-40 games to give a kid rest.

Jiri Patera - Solid tendy, probably an AHL level starter but so far he looks like he could be used in a pinch. Played well against the Flames, but likely makes it through waivers.

Nate Smith - Deceptively smart but truthfully just another guy. Makes it through

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I thought PDG wearing a letter for the last preseason game was a sign that he was actually going to make the roster...and RikyTok really seems to love him. But apparently that still wasn't enough. He's a great footsoldier, does all the right things, but also has next to zero offensive finish.

Wolanin isn't surprising, but he's absolutely an NHL caliber player. He'll probably slip through just fine, but he's a guy who could absolutely be an every day #6 Defenceman. He's just a little bit out of the preferred mold for the role. He's more of a mobile, puck-moving guy than a pure "stay at home" defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad