Waived: [VAN] Guillaume Brisebrois and Jett Woo waived by the Canucks (cleared)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What's the deal with the picture? It doesn't really make sense to me and feels kinda racist. I'm sure that's not your intent though so maybe you can explain?

in the late 90s, AZN was a word asian college students in north america popularized to start thinking about asian as a coalition and political identity. it was somewhat similar to Black power and Brown pride, or wanted to be at least.

i was joking about the makeup of the abbo canucks being like a pan-asian AZN club you’d find at a UC school bitd

Reactions: Grantham and byrath

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
in the late 90s, AZN was a word asian college students in north america popularized to start thinking about asian as a coalition and political identity. it was somewhat similar to Black power and Brown pride, or wanted to be at least.

i was joking about the makeup of the abbo canucks being like a pan-asian AZN club you’d find at a UC school bitd
Thank you Mr. Sharifijanov for the explanation and for not lashing out in reply, cheers :5:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Have to figure this is just trying to slip them through while nobody is looking. Still so early in camp, they obviously weren't making the team, but "Gilliam" can play a few minutes at the NHL level as a depth guy who is good to keep around in the organization, and Woo is a RHD so you never know who will take a flyer on them. But right now, everyone else is all still busy auditioning their own internal candidates for NHL jobs.

Every NHL team has multiple of these prospects. No reason to worry about slipping them through waivers.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Have to figure this is just trying to slip them through while nobody is looking. Still so early in camp, they obviously weren't making the team, but "Gilliam" can play a few minutes at the NHL level as a depth guy who is good to keep around in the organization, and Woo is a RHD so you never know who will take a flyer on them. But right now, everyone else is all still busy auditioning their own internal candidates for NHL jobs.

Its easier to slip through waivers near the end and teams have many decisions to make regarding which waived guy to claim.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm wondering if the Jets might be interested in picking up a right shot hometown dman in Woo

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
giphy.gif

1*NSSzJSEhLfWRXMeOhRa3dA.gif

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Another good example of why I always chuckle when I read "sure, our drafting was bad but it's gotten way better in the last couple years"

It always seems that way, because the new guys haven't busted yet.

Reactions: 1989

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Every NHL team has multiple of these prospects. No reason to worry about slipping them through waivers.

Yeah. I don't think there was ever really much concern about them clearing. But i do think the early cuts were at least partially intended to make extra sure they cleared.

Its easier to slip through waivers near the end and teams have many decisions to make regarding which waived guy to claim.

Ehhh...it can be, as there is often a huge glut of "final cuts" guys being waived right around then. But later in camp is also a point where teams will have a clearer picture of whether "their guys" are going to seize the day or not. Plus injuries and stuff. Tends to open up some different opportunities that lead a team to making a waivers claim. Looking at "external options" if they get to the end of camp and their "internal options" haven't got the job done. Whereas waiving them this early, most teams are still very caught up in evaluating what they have internally first.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah. I don't think there was ever really much concern about them clearing. But i do think the early cuts were at least partially intended to make extra sure they cleared.

Ehhh...it can be, as there is often a huge glut of "final cuts" guys being waived right around then. But later in camp is also a point where teams will have a clearer picture of whether "their guys" are going to seize the day or not. Plus injuries and stuff. Tends to open up some different opportunities that lead a team to making a waivers claim. Looking at "external options" if they get to the end of camp and their "internal options" haven't got the job done. Whereas waiving them this early, most teams are still very caught up in evaluating what they have internally first.

Ya we can never know. But generally, final cuts are better players than earlier cuts. I dont think teams get "caught up" or dont realize a certain player is cut though at any point in the season, any player of interest externally is already on a team's radar. Pro scouts dont start working only when a player is waived lol.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ya we can never know. But generally, final cuts are better players than earlier cuts. I dont think teams get "caught up" or dont realize a certain player is cut though at any point in the season, any player of interest externally is already on a team's radar. Pro scouts dont start working only when a player is waived lol.

Yeah. Absolutely. Teams obviously aren't just completely ignorant of a player until they're thrown on waivers. :laugh: But they tend to also be very preoccupied with gauging their own players early in camp. They've put in their work to get things in order through the offseason, and are naturally going to want to assess how their own group they've put together looks. That's guys that they've already identified and have in place. Tend to take priority early in camp, over outside options. Don't necessarily want to add more fringe bodies to the mix at this point either. The focus is more on figuring out which of their own internal candidates on the bubble are in/out.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah. Absolutely. Teams obviously aren't just completely ignorant of a player until they're thrown on waivers. :laugh: But they tend to also be very preoccupied with gauging their own players early in camp. They've put in their work to get things in order through the offseason, and are naturally going to want to assess how their own group they've put together looks. That's guys that they've already identified and have in place. Tend to take priority early in camp, over outside options. Don't necessarily want to add more fringe bodies to the mix at this point either. The focus is more on figuring out which of their own internal candidates on the bubble are in/out.

I think thats probably the case with vancouver as well. Theres better internal candidates than those two for the Canucks' current coaching staff. Jett Woo has zero NHL call ups, even during vancouver's bad seasons and now is an early cut. I highly doubt theres any intent to hide him or call him up (as an early call up) with such little NHL game experience. Without at least inside info.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think thats probably the case with vancouver as well. Theres better internal candidates than those two for the Canucks' current coaching staff. Jett Woo has zero NHL call ups, even during vancouver's bad seasons and now is an early cut. I highly doubt theres any intent to hide him or call him up (as an early call up) with such little NHL game experience. Without at least inside info.

It does certainly raise the question of whether they just don't really see Woo figuring in to their plans or depth chart at all. But i'd have thought that they'd give him a longer look in camp, precisely because he's at that age where he needs to be getting a cup of coffee at least, if he's gonna be anything. And because he has no NHL experience, later preseason games are at least a decent half measure on gauging where he's at if you do need to call someone up.

To me, that looks a little bit like trying to slip him through early because they think they already have a good read on what they have there, and want to do it while other teams are busy sifting through their own guys. Not that there's a huge risk either way, but there's probably more risk later...if he plays well through camp and hits waivers when other teams might start looking outward for options.

Or they just straight up don't think he factors in and are trimming the fat early. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad