Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Tyler Myers signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Myers wasn't really any better last year than he was in seasons past. Sure, his raw stats improved, but that was only because the whole team improved. It was a case of a rising tide lifting all boats. I'd expected him to go to free agency and land a much better deal, as there's always at least one GM out there who overpays when signing a free agent just by looking at the raw stats. Still, as long as he's kept on the bottom pairing, the damage he can do by his misplays is minimal. I wouldn't have paid him much more than 1 or 1.5, maybe 2 if I was drunk, on a 1-2 year deal. If this means not re-signing Zadorov then it's terrible, not even remotely justifiable.

A man with a neck like that is not concerned about rising tides.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Myers wasn't really any better last year than he was in seasons past. Sure, his raw stats improved, but that was only because the whole team improved. It was a case of a rising tide lifting all boats. I'd expected him to go to free agency and land a much better deal, as there's always at least one GM out there who overpays when signing a free agent just by looking at the raw stats. Still, as long as he's kept on the bottom pairing, the damage he can do by his misplays is minimal. I wouldn't have paid him much more than 1 or 1.5, maybe 2 if I was drunk, on a 1-2 year deal. If this means not re-signing Zadorov then it's terrible, not even remotely justifiable.

Were you drunk when you posted this?

I get if some people want to move on from Myers but claiming he's a 1.5M dollar d-man is just absurd.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Most under rated dman on the Canucks.
Good deal. Got an extra yr for cap#. NMC relaxes in yr 3 tho.

He was used as a prime defender vs the McDavids and McKinnon's of the league... His reach is disruptive af... Probably leads the league in forwards coming in on him into the zone and button hooking.

Glad he's back. Especially at that price.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Bahahaha… Canucks whipping boy stays another 3 years!!!

You would think that he should have given the team a Tom Brady contract to use that cap space to win… especially with all the money he has already made from the Canucks.
Whipping boy when he makes $6 mil and signed by Benning.

But at a mere $3 mil by Alvin... All's good with Chaos Giraffe.. happy to have him back. In line to be the whipping boy is EP40 for next season.
$11.5 mil EP40.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
After 3-4 years of hoping he's gone at the first possible opportunity (the last 0.75 aside), I'm actually fine with this.

A year longer than I would've liked but the money is definitely more than fair for the team.

Hes the kind of player who's value comes through more in the playoffs. His size/range with his skating ability/puck handling is nice to go into battle with.

Not to mention he's a good leader for the team, I'd be surprised if a team like Ottawa didn't have him somewhere on their radar. He'll be a good mentor to Willander I'd suspect.

Reactions: nucks88

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I didnt really want him back. I'm being honest. Maybe a 2 year deal or smaller hit but I didn't really want him back. But thatcher demko on his social media seems to really love Myers who am I to say it sucks.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
After 3-4 years of hoping he's gone at the first possible opportunity (the last 0.75 aside), I'm actually fine with this.

A year longer than I would've liked but the money is definitely more than fair for the team.

Hes the kind of player who's value comes through more in the playoffs. His size/range with his skating ability/puck handling is nice to go into battle with.

Not to mention he's a good leader for the team, I'd be surprised if a team like Ottawa didn't have him somewhere on their radar. He'll be a good mentor to Willander I'd suspect.

I wished, we waited until july 1st, so we can target our priorities, then offer him whatever money we have left. He was good but wasn't great. when he didn't play, our gaa was low as hell.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I would have preferred 2.5 million and 2 years.

I actually like Myers, but he never lived up to his previous contract at any point. But he’s a well liked guy in the locker room and played decent last year. If he maintains that it’s not a disaster.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I wished, we waited until july 1st, so we can target our priorities, then offer him whatever money we have left. He was good but wasn't great. when he didn't play, our gaa was low as hell.
I get the sentiment, but maybe the Canucks know there’s no big play July 1 and we’ll see a Lindholm resigning announced soon. Doesn’t seem super likely given reporting, but not much has actually leaked from the Canucks, so who knows.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
If Myers plays like he did in the playoffs this is an absolute steal. Looking at other dmen in the price range he could have easily gotten a one or two year deal at 4-4.5. That third year brought the aav down, but he still gave the Canucks a good discount.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
6'8" man gets extension, lol.

Like this deal alot for Vancouver.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Myers was much better in Tochhets system playing 19 mins a night than he was playing 22 without structure. 3 mil for what he bring is pretty good value when you look at comparable. Adding the 3rd year got the AAV down, and could be a potential buyout or LTIR, which is just fine. He would have easily got 4+ on the market on Monday. He is committed to seeing this through with the canucks after being a part of the rebuild. By all accounts is a well liked leader in the room. I've got no issue with this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad