[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
While I don't like the trade and think they have given up the greater upside of Shinkaruk, I think some perspective is needed:

Shinkaruk in the year he turned 20:
16g 15a in 74 games with AHL Utica

Granlund in the year he turned 20:
25g 21a in 52 games with AHL Adirondack

Granlund born in April, Shinkaruk in October.

Progress is one of the most important factors when judging a prospect IMO.

Yes Granlund's AHL rookie season was more impressive than Shinkaruk's, but what they have accomplished since then is much more important. If the Canucks traded a 20 year old Shinkaruk for a 20 year old Granlund, that would be a much better trade.

But the Canucks didn't get a 20 year old Granlund. They got a a 22 year old Granlund who hasn't improved his impact in the AHL since his rookie season and also hasn't shown that he's an everyday NHLer. Whereas Shinkaruk has made large strides this season and is only trending up.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
How many bottom sixers can one team carry? That's all this guy acquires!

Well you know top 6ers are real easy to get so man this management sucks why didn't they just trade hunter for a top 6 winger or top 4 dman? I like this move if granlund can develop like baertschi which I think he has the motivation and drive to do it especially in a different system than the flames.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Granlund is OK. Seen him play a bit. Probably worth a shot if you had some space open at the centre position. But trading Shinkaruk for him is asinine.

The Canucks could have at least called up Shinkaruk for the rest of the year and evaluated him properly before they traded him. I'm sure even if he did poorly this offer would still be on the table from the Flames. And if he does well, his value goes higher. It's a win-win. They turned a win-win into a pray for a miracle. Saying you know a player's game won't translate after 9 minutes and training camp is arrogant. These guys have not earned the right to be arrogant.

I'm not even high on Shinkaruk and I think Granlund is better than he is being given credit for, but this trade still stinks.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask

Yes Granlund's AHL rookie season was more impressive than Shinkaruk's, but what they have accomplished since then is much more important. If the Canucks traded a 20 year old Shinkaruk for a 20 year old Granlund, that would be a much better trade.

But the Canucks didn't get a 20 year old Granlund. They got a a 22 year old Granlund who hasn't improved his impact in the AHL since his rookie season and also hasn't shown that he's an everyday NHLer. Whereas Shinkaruk has made large strides this season and is only trending up.

Not everybody's development is linear, look at bo this year he looked like crap early on this year to a point that some posters were calling him a bust. Gotta give granlund a chance to develop, which may be tough to watch cause he'll probably suck for awhile along with the rest of this young team.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Granlund is OK. Seen him play a bit. Probably worth a shot if you had some space open at the centre position. But trading Shinkaruk for him is asinine.

The Canucks could have at least called up Shinkaruk for the rest of the year and evaluated him properly before they traded him. I'm sure even if he did poorly this offer would still be on the table from the Flames. And if he does well, his value goes higher. It's a win-win. They turned a win-win into a pray for a miracle. Saying you know a player's game won't translate after 9 minutes and training camp is arrogant. These guys have not earned the right to be arrogant.

I'm not even high on Shinkaruk and I think Granlund is better than he is being given credit for, but this trade still stinks.

I doubt granlund is available if shink comes up and stinks in the nhl. It's possible shink comes up and holds his own but that's a big risk.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
What if he went cold in the AHL playoffs, value drops.

Then what.

Even if he didn't score another goal this year I'm sure they still could have gotten this deal in the summer. Calgary had no room for Granlund and were expecting to expose him to waivers next year. They'd have taken what they could have gotten for Granlund in the summer. We made it easy for them instead.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

I understand completely. I've posted a few times that I don't like the trade because they gave up on upside for a player that seems to be leveling off. I just think the value difference between the two isn't as stark as some are suggesting.

Oh, and Linden compares Granlund to Patrice Bergeron...so there's that :sarcasm:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I doubt granlund is available if shink comes up and stinks in the nhl. It's possible shink comes up and holds his own but that's a big risk.

The Flames GM said they looked at trading Granlund because they were concerned they would eventually lose him on waivers for nothing. Does that sound like a guy they were counting on in future seasons? No. It's a guy they knew likely wasn't making their team next year. I'm sure they would have taken what they could have gotten for him in the summer.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
I understand completely. I've posted a few times that I don't like the trade because they gave up on upside for a player that seems to be leveling off. I just think the value difference between the two isn't as stark as some are suggesting.

Oh, and Linden compares Granlund to Patrice Bergeron...so there's that :sarcasm:

I agree, and I don't think granlunds upside is any lower than shinks, he hit a sophomore slump on a crappy flames team.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
How many bottom sixers can one team carry? That's all this guy acquires!

That's how you win! Insert "will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will" here. Insert "appeal to authority about how Benning knows more about hockey and being a GM than any of us" here.

God help us.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
The Flames GM said they looked at trading Granlund because they were concerned they would eventually lose him on waivers for nothing. Does that sound like a guy they were counting on in future seasons? No. It's a guy they knew likely wasn't making their team next year. I'm sure they would have taken what they could have gotten for him in the summer.

Yep and maybe a different team in the summer offers something better than shink?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Who knows what would happen, maybe Minnesota woulda offered a third

Again....where the rush? It's not like we're completely devoid of bottom six centers in the system (that aren't over the age of 30). We do lack forward prospects (centers or wingers) with real offensive skills (reason why I didn't have a problem with the Vey trade).

I'd feel different if Granlund wasn't waiver eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad