Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
more than anything else, our group needs a shrink to sort their heads out... to both play against Boston, and to play in the playoffs. They are capable of being an offensive powerhouse, but then just stop playing that way at times. Honestly, it doesn't matter too much who the supporting cast is... if our guys don't find a way to takeover important games, none of this matters. Maybe a new coach makes a difference, maybe a sports psychologist does... maybe they just aren't winners.

It's crazy you look at the output and just how Makar, MacKinnon, McDavid, Leon etc play, they're just going for it all the time and then I look at Matthews/Marner/88 - they seem more stiff/scared.

It's also wild how many people are saying with so many players "Well maybe Berube can..." and it's like....he's not a miracle worker, he might get more out of some guys and some guys are likely not going to have success under him. Not every coach works with every player.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
more than anything else, our group needs a shrink to sort their heads out... to both play against Boston, and to play in the playoffs. They are capable of being an offensive powerhouse, but then just stop playing that way at times. Honestly, it doesn't matter too much who the supporting cast is... if our guys don't find a way to takeover important games, none of this matters. Maybe a new coach makes a difference, maybe a sports psychologist does... maybe they just aren't winners.
if the coach has a team playing a particular style all season long, and then initiates a completely different system as soon as the playoffs start, what other result should we expect?
Boston plays the same system from game 1 through the playoffs and never diverts, and same for TB, Florida, the Oilers etc
Being more mindful in the d-zone (Oilers) isnt a change in 'style' like the Leafs completely flip the switch and play like its a demolition derby because they were always called soft, to prove they arent soft.
that is not how you win games.
Geez, Dallas never retaliated against anyone, and they werent call soft/weak/cowards ...but, if they Leafs dont retaliate, they are pegged as soft.

He can be in the right position, he's a goal scorer and BOS play a real tight defensive system to help offset the defensive warts, BOS needed more finishers last year and he gives them that.

We struggled to beat them, they added Zadorov and Lindholm.

Our group up front is pretty much the same group that struggled to put up 2 goals a game.
whenour weak ass defense couldnt get the puck out of our end 3 out of every 4 shifts, how are the skilled players supposed to score?

Reactions: Duffman955

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It's crazy you look at the output and just how Makar, MacKinnon, McDavid, Leon etc play, they're just going for it all the time and then I look at Matthews/Marner/88 - they seem more stiff/scared.

It's also wild how many people are saying with so many players "Well maybe Berube can..." and it's like....he's not a miracle worker, he might get more out of some guys and some guys are likely not going to have success under him. Not every coach works with every player.
they dont back check, and our guys are always thinking that they need to be safe because we cannot depend on our crud defense
if our top guys were allowed to just all out attack, it would be very different, but, with our old defense, that was a recipe for disaster

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
they dont back check, and our guys are always thinking that they need to be safe because we cannot depend on our crud defense
if our top guys were allowed to just all out attack, it would be very different, but, with our old defense, that was a recipe for disaster
if the coach has a team playing a particular style all season long, and then initiates a completely different system as soon as the playoffs start, what other result should we expect?
Boston plays the same system from game 1 through the playoffs and never diverts, and same for TB, Florida, the Oilers etc
Being more mindful in the d-zone (Oilers) isnt a change in 'style' like the Leafs completely flip the switch and play like its a demolition derby because they were always called soft, to prove they arent soft.
Geez, Dallas never retaliated against anyone, and they werent call soft/weak/cowards ...but, if they Leafs dont retaliate, they are pegged as soft.

whenour weak ass defense couldnt get the puck out of our end 3 out of every 4 shifts, how are the skilled players supposed to score?

Some missed assignments? Sure.

Not back checking ever? Nah, that's some serious level of cope.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Some missed assignments? Sure.

Not back checking ever? Nah, that's some serious level of cope.
Mathews and Marner backcheck all the time, and are defensively responsible.
JT and Nylander not nearly as well, or as often.
the other guys players are maybe on par or worse than Nylander's level of backchecking. (except Drais, he's never even heard the phrase backcheck)

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I agree, trying to do a dump in chase in the playoffs was dumb. Play the way you want to play from day one.

Even having said that... we watch this team... we know what they are capable of when they are truly on. We get to see that in streaks, and in a few games here and there... and then they go back to thinking they really don't need to put a full effort in, and take periods, games... weeks off. Then they can't seem to get their mojo back, when a lack of effort catches up. They can play at an elite level, and we see that at times... but not often enough.. they truly believe that they can get by without a full effort, all of the time.

There is talent here... I'm not sure there is heart. I'm not sure there is that desire to win every play, every period, every game. You see that in guys like McDavid and MacKinnon. Maybe we need to dub thee... McMatthews and MacMarner?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree with this. I also wonder about moving both Nylander and Mitch to C? I think we might be more well constructed with 34, 88, and 16 as our top three C's. We do have to enough wingers (including JT now) to have balance and all three have played C and we would be very tough to match up against. Let our $10M+ earn their salaries, centres are more valuable.

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Marner Robertson
Holmberg Nylander McMann

Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

... obviously Cowan and / or Grebenkin could crack the top 9 and we can sort of ease them in with this approach
I'm not sure Mitch would work as well at C, as he's smaller and less willing to drive to the net.

If I was to try that, I'd swap your second and third lines.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I would think Marner was a 130 lbs kid in London. He was scrawny.

His game is much better suited IMO.

Knies. Matthews. Domi
Xxxxx. Marner. Willy
Mcmann. JT. Jarnkrok

Would make more sense to me. Willy doesn’t work there
Willy still has more experience, don’t think you can dismiss him after a couple few game sanples, when internationally he’s great.
Mitch would be facing a major learning curve. Again, maybe he could do it, his two way game suggests he could, but it would take some time for sure.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Willy still has more experience, don’t think you can dismiss him after a couple few game sanples, when internationally he’s great.
Mitch would be facing a major learning curve. Again, maybe he could do it, his two way game suggests he could, but it would take some time for sure.
Nylander disappears far too often and his attention to his own end are what prevent him from playing center.
Marner would have no issue playing center but he's better suited to the wing.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Robertson seems the only question mark.

Imo I'm surprised so many people thought Kampf and Jarnk were going to be traded - those are Tres guys
For me it was more of a possibility about mixing things up and reclaiming some assets and expanding opportunities for kids to take on bigger roles.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

I think thats a pretty solid prediction tbh.

Also it only shows three division, for those who didn't see it and doesn't want to click the link:
1720194957179.png

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Well this is twice he's asked to be traded or expressed his disappointment with the organization.

It's OK Nick. If you believe you can get better opportunities elsewhere then you should.

Nick Robertson for the most part has never really reached a point where a GM could sell high on him. His trade value (IMHO) is always the same: a 3rd rounder or possibly a depth defenseman in a trade.

What if Treliving fulfills his wishes?

What do you think he can get in a trade?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Can someone explain to me why it would be Willy as a c over Marner?

Marner is one of the best 2 way players in the game and one of the best passers.

Domi works with Matthews.

Why not Marner as 2 c?
Smaller, weaker shot, less willing to play in the slot. Nylander has taken a lot more faceoffs and has a much higher winning %. I don't think there's much difference in passing ability between them, but Nylander has a much better shot.

They both played C in junior (and minor?) but Willy has also played C more recently, and in international competition.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If Hakanpaa falls through I wouldn’t mind Justin Schultz on a league minimum if he’s willing, to slot in the third pair from time to time.

Still advocating Tanner Pearson as a responsible bottom 6 who can kill penalties. Especially if Jarnkrok of Kampf go out in a deal later in the summer.

I would also be ok just waiting to camp and grabbing a waiver player as well.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nylander disappears far too often and his attention to his own end are what prevent him from playing center.
Marner would have no issue playing center but he's better suited to the wing.
It could just as easily trigger him to be more attentive. And he’d have wingers who will help on the D side. And he’s excellent at c internationally, and doesn’t tune out like you’re suggesting he does.

Thinking Mitch would have ‘no issue’ transitioning to the much more demanding position without a learning curve is a big leap of faith with less evidence. Like I said, he could probably do it, but it would take some adjusting.

I think thats a pretty solid prediction tbh.

Also it only shows three division, for those who didn't see it and doesn't want to click the link:
View attachment 892561
Agreed, looks pretty good. Nice parity too.

Reactions: ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Rob is an interesting player. His shot is not elite and if it was he could be a 30/35 goal guy. His skating is ok but he has no idea how to let the game come to him. While playing on a 4th line with Kampf he is a duck out of water.
He must be a 2nd or 3rd line winger, playing with good players and stop trying to be Eddie Shack.
To trade him you must get a player...a second round choice is too long a wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad