Speculation: Valeri Nichushkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So, I haven’t heard anything about him, what’s the status ? Still suspended ?

What are the Avs going to do ? Come to peace with him and activate him ? Trade ? Ship to KHL?
His suspension ends somewhere in mid-November.
Based on what the Avs management has said, we expect them to re-instate, then play.

I presume the Avs have explored other options, and at this stage, none of them are attractive enough.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Earliest eligibility is mid november for a return if he's clean. He's at level 3 of the leagues substance abuse program I believe, so if he relapses after returning they can cancel the contract. So makes sense to make sure he is extremely clean clean before returning.

Reactions: ViD

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Suspended and is then expected back. He is not playing in the KHL. He is still under nhl contract and the agreement is not terminated.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Earliest eligibility is mid november for a return if he's clean. He's at level 3 of the leagues substance abuse program I believe, so if he relapses after returning they can cancel the contract. So makes sense to make sure he is extremely clean clean before returning.
Not entirely true.

Another relapse gets him suspended for 1 year, and then re-instatment is not guaranteed.
It doesn’t give the Avs the right to cancel the contract. They’d have to follow the same options they have right now

Reactions: Voight

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So are they not in cap hell if even one of Nish or Landeskog return ?
Just one, no issues at all, they’ll be under the cap by a couple mil.
If both come back, there will be some roster juggling necessary.
Lucklily enough, nuke’s cap hit doesn’t count so the Avs will be banking space until his return.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean I hope he's not stupid enough, but there is still the possibility he doesn't come back in November.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times...

I'm sure they will let him back on the team but the worst outcome is he holds it together and plays well until the playoffs, again, and then crashes out on the team when they most need him, again. Really rough situation to be in for everyone, and I'm sure he's got a huge amount of trust to earn back with his teammates given some of the comments to media last time.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So, I haven’t heard anything about him, what’s the status ? Still suspended ?

What are the Avs going to do ? Come to peace with him and activate him ? Trade ? Ship to KHL?
He's allowed to play NHL games on November 13th and not a day before. Of course he probably won't be ready to play the day he is reinstated but that's the day he's open for reinstatement.

Assume he'll play with the Avs and he's on his last shot. His next violation is a 1 year suspension with no guarantee of reinstatement.

The guy is an incredible player worth well north of his $6.1MM AAV, but he's unmovable due to his status in stage 3 of the program and a one strike and you're out standing in the NHL.

This player isn't unhappy in Colorado. What he is? An addict and he'd be an addict no matter which team owned his rights. So the Avs will own those rights until Nuke violates another drug test and his NHL career likely ends at that moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViD

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not entirely true.

Another relapse gets him suspended for 1 year, and then re-instatment is not guaranteed.
It doesn’t give the Avs the right to cancel the contract. They’d have to follow the same options they have right now

He might agree to it though. This year and next year he earns $15.3M total. 26-27 he gets $5.8M. The last three years he gets $4.8M/year.

So if he gets suspended during the highest earning years of his contract, would he agree to terminate the contract and go play in the KHL if he feels he can make $22M over the next 5-6 years? I really dunno how much KHLers are making to say for sure.

EDIT: Upon checking nevermind lol. I thought way back when Voynov fled the country he was making comparable in the KHL to what he made in the NHL. Radulov was the 2nd highest paid player over a year ago and it was under $1M.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

I'm sure they will let him back on the team but the worst outcome is he holds it together and plays well until the playoffs, again, and then crashes out on the team when they most need him, again. Really rough situation to be in for everyone, and I'm sure he's got a huge amount of trust to earn back with his teammates given some of the comments to media last time.

Sounds like you know sweet eff all about addiction.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He might agree to it though. This year and next year he earns $15.3M total. 26-27 he gets $5.8M. The last three years he gets $4.8M/year.

So if he gets suspended during the highest earning years of his contract, would he agree to terminate the contract and go play in the KHL if he feels he can make $22M over the next 5-6 years? I really dunno how much KHLers are making to say for sure.

EDIT: Upon checking nevermind lol. I thought way back when Voynov fled the country he was making comparable in the KHL to what he made in the NHL. Radulov was the 2nd highest paid player over a year ago and it was under $1M.
Agreed. I think if Nuke gets suspended again during this season, it opens up the door to more possibilities of a mutual termination. Of course, there’s likely to be a settlement and cap penalty to the Avs. But at least at that point, the actual money owed to Nuke after the 1 year suspension would be much lower and thus, smaller penalty to the Avs cap.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Reality is, the Avs don’t really have a choice.

The avs are stuck between a rock and hard place. There really aren’t any good alternatives to just hoping he stays clean.

Obviously him staying clean and playing is the best outcome. And honestly, the 2nd best outcome is likely him getting caught again before the trade deadline. It takes him cap off the books and gives the Avs a chance to find a trade deadline replacement.

Reactions: coooldude

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Agreed. I think if Nuke gets suspended again during this season, it opens up the door to more possibilities of a mutual termination. Of course, there’s likely to be a settlement and cap penalty to the Avs. But at least at that point, the actual money owed to Nuke after the 1 year suspension would be much lower and thus, smaller penalty to the Avs cap.
I'm interested to see how it plays out mainly because I wonder about our own situation with Vrana a few years ago.

Everybody was real quiet about that, but my belief always was that he didn't want to go to rehab and they essentially told him you're going or we can terminate your contract. It explains why he took all Detroit related stuff off his social media right after entering rehab.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean, get to playoffs and then babysit him 24/7. If he won't agree to that get rid of him.

He can go do crazy shit in the off season

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Sounds like you know sweet eff all about addiction.
You don't need to be aggressive about it. I was commenting on the business and hockey situation for the team. I wasn't commenting on his personal situation - there's a lot more nuance and pain there. Of course the situation for him personally, the addiction he's wrestling with, etc., is highly complex, personal, and difficult in ways I am sure I can't imagine. I wish him the best personally.

However, and I am sure the GM and teammates would agree, that personally important stuff has to be separated from the reality of the situation the team is in with his contract, the risk he falls off the wagon again at a bad time (e.g. after the deadline), etc.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
He’s comin back, and he’s gonna be amazing like he always is. Moralizing dweebs will clutch pearls about it on a message board. He might screw up again, and if he does, he’ll be gone for good, I imagine. Last chance. Unfortunate spot for the Avs to be in, but I’m rooting for him to turn it around for real this time. Who am I to say he can’t?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad